Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In every country, there are racists, neds, etc. When I went down to London I was suprised because the minority was white, while where I live the majority is white, but I'm certainly not racist, I did infact date a black guy for a while.

I don't really know what to say except you can't just stereotype Scotland as a whole like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Sun)
    You'd probably change your mind when surrounded by an angry mob of scots whos only rationale for wanting to kick you to death was because you were English.

Its not about the Scots being a different species, its about them hating the English, which they do on the whole, which is racist.
    Because English are never racist?

No its that when an English person is racist to a Scottish person it isnt big news but when a Scottish person is to an English then its massive news since England is the most important country in the world(in their eyes)

Now I have lived in Scotland half my life and England half my life, have a English mum and brother and Scottish dad and my English mum says shes fed up with the media being racist to Scotland and the Scottish(since they live in Scotland but get ENGLISH tv) and even when Scottish news storys are on they are a few seconds compared to a few minutes for the English.

Case in point about 3 or 4 years ago a Scottish person was bricked and scarred for life for wearing a Scotland football shirt in Cumbria, which had 1 page in a local paper, nothing on local news and nothing in national papers.

During the world cup there was front page national news of an English person being attacked in Scotland.

Isnt that hypocritical.

ReputationRep:
    Cumbria is full over chavs though. As for media coverage, I get sick to death of hearing about Scottish football and no Welsh football. They are about as good to watch as each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Cumbria is full over chavs though. As for media coverage, I get sick to death of hearing about Scottish football and no Welsh football. They are about as good to watch as each other.
    Ya mean the few seconds of Scottish football lol, Im sick of hearing like 5 minutes of one match on English football then 30 seconds on Scottish, esp for major games.

If England loses a match then theres some excuse about how some player was sick/not present, management issues etc but they are still heroes and played great.

When Scotland win lose or draw its a few seconds and no real interest, Im not a football fan so cant comment on the Welsh coverage.

ReputationRep:
    You'd probably change your mind when surrounded by an angry mob of scots whos only rationale for wanting to kick you to death was because you were English.

Its not about the Scots being a different species, its about them hating the English, which they do on the whole, which is racist.
    I am english, although i have lived in scotland for most of my life. I experience both sides : most english people think i'm scottish and most scottish people think i'm english.
    You get morons everywhere. The "hatred" is played up for sports events. On the whole I would say the abuse a Scottish person gets in England is not any less than what an English person gets in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Plz keep anon or delete.
    I'm thinking of going on a trip next year, and don't want to have a nasty shock. I'm female, mixed race (black/white) and so far haven't encountered any racism at all in my life, but i'm not so naive to think I never will. I know that not all of Scotland is, but i'm just wondering if it's one of 'those' countries that has a reputation, such as Australia for example, cos i've heard it's a bit xenophobic.
    I know you can't make a big generalisation, but I just wanted HONEST answers from those that live there or those that have visited/had a personal experience.
    Are you from the UK? Scotland is not a different "country" and if you pay attention to rumours, then all countries are massively racist. I haven't heard of any countries that noone has created xenophobic rumours about.
    As long as you say you hate the English and pretend not to be English, I'm sure you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yes we are all racists and assuming you are not white you're not welcome

What a strange question to ask

ReputationRep:
    Go to a Celtic or Rangers game. .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)
    Ya mean the few seconds of Scottish football lol, Im sick of hearing like 5 minutes of one match on English football then 30 seconds on Scottish, esp for major games.

If England loses a match then theres some excuse about how some player was sick/not present, management issues etc but they are still heroes and played great.

When Scotland win lose or draw its a few seconds and no real interest, Im not a football fan so cant comment on the Welsh coverage.
    Media coverage isn't always the best way to compare things despite how annoying it can be. I mean, back at home in Berkshire, the regional news is basically Portsmouth and Southampton. I live closer to London...

As for the football drama, some of us are aware of this and don't like it ourselves. The same happens with the Republic of Ireland to a lesser extent. It happens at club level too, especially with Newcastle. Does help if players stop becoming 'injured' for friendlies despite playing a full 90 minutes for their club, e.g. Gerrard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweetliketropicana)
    The only xenophobic problem in the west coast of scotland is sectarianism. No one outside the west coast cares about sectarianism as it is not a problem.
    well im not too keen on the orange order march that happens every year in edinburgh because that is basically religious hatred that they are proclaiming.

in edinburgh we joke about it mroe than actually commiting it (like i will joke with me friends that rangers/hearts are shoddy teams and celtic is much better but its all banter)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTC199)
    well im not too keen on the orange order march that happens every year in edinburgh because that is basically religious hatred that they are proclaiming.
    I don't think much of the Orange Order at all, but I don't think that's true at all. They are a fraternal organisation based on the Protestant faith - to say that alone makes them sectarian is nonsense, as indeed is the implication that the idiots who associate themselves (often informally) with the Order somehow taint the whole body.

From what I've heard, the real Orange Order have actually participated in drives against sectarianism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I don't think much of the Orange Order at all, but I don't think that's true at all. They are a fraternal organisation based on the Protestant faith - to say that alone makes them sectarian is nonsense, as indeed is the implication that the idiots who associate themselves (often informally) with the Order somehow taint the whole body.

From what I've heard, the real Orange Order have actually participated in drives against sectarianism.
    quite possibly, but when i was in town a few years ago on the same day as the march, i did hear people in either the crowd or the actual march singing sectarian songs.

however - a quick search gave me this
    "Members have been expelled for attending Catholic religious ceremonies. In the period from 1964 to 2002, 11% of those expelled from the order were expelled for their presence at a Catholic religious event such as a baptism, service or funeral.[18]

The Laws and Constitutions of the Loyal Orange Institution of Scotland of 1986 state, "No ex-Roman Catholic will be admitted into the Institution unless he is a Communicant in a Protestant Church for a reasonable period." Likewise, the "Constitution, Laws and Ordinances of the Loyal Orange Institution of Ireland" (1967) state, "No person who at any time has been a Roman Catholic … shall be admitted into the Institution, except after permission given by a vote of seventy five per cent of the members present founded on testimonials of good character …" "

and so it is easy to see that on the whole the order are slightly anti-catholic

ReputationRep:

What a load of crap

ReputationRep:
    Your opinion, but there you go. Eloquent as well, i'm impressed.

ReputationRep:
    Your opinion, but there you go. Eloquent as well, i'm impressed.
    Scotland has a rivalry with England that in a minority of cases extends towards a prejudice, but to say the nation as a whole hates England is an absurd claim to make.

ReputationRep:
    Well, Its my opinion and this is general discussion.

I thought it would ruffle a few tartan feathers, its ok to **** off the English but as soon as your faults are highlighted you get all anti, now that's hypocritical.

ReputationRep:
    You present your "opinion" as fact and that's where it ceases to become an opinion. It offends me actually, having you claim that on the whole my nation is as petty to be racist to a whole nation. Obviously a few idiots take things to far and they might hate English people for who they are but I assure you that's definitely the minority.

You certainly didn't need to neg rep me...

ReputationRep:
    OK I'll hold my hands up on this and admit I may have been a tad generalistic ok, there I admit it. I don't want this turning into a huge bun fight but in my defense the question was 'is Scotland racisit?' and I expressed an opinion, I think alot of people's reactions to me are a tad knee jerk as well.

So in short, yes I generalised, I admit that.
    No I dont want another Culloden.
    Yes I'm expressing my opinion.
    Oh and about the rep, I was negatively repped for expressing this opinion, you offended me so I negatively reppped you, thats the way the site works. I make no apologies for the mechanics of this site.

ReputationRep:
    "its about them hating the English, which they do on the whole, which is racist. "
    Doesn't sound like an opinion to me, sounds like a statement...

"I think Scottish people can be a bit racist" or "in my experience the Scots are all racist" are opinions.

Call it semantics but it matters

ReputationRep:
    Yes well in my experience I have personally witnessed this anti English hatred, which is why it is being expressed by me. It isn't me ranting its me sharing life experience.

As to Scotland not being anti English, lets take a look at a slightly famous Scottish song:

The Flower of Scotland

O flower of Scotland
    When will we see
    Your like again
    That fought and died for
    Your wee bit hill and glen
    And stood against him
    Proud Edward's army
    And sent him homeward
    Tae think again

The hills are bare now
    And autumn leaves lie thick and still
    O'er land that is lost now
    Which those so dearly held
    And stood against him
    Proud Edward's army
    And sent him homeward
    Tae think again

Those days are passed now
    And in the past they must remain
    But we can still rise now
    And be the nation again
    And stood against him
    Proud Edward's army
    And sent him homeward
    Tae think again

Stirring stuff, very poignant, almost poetic, and if you look at your history justified. But read between the lines and you must agree its just an anti English rant which is still used today to incite anti English sentiment. (by the way a good friend of mine who is a Glaswegan agrees with me on this matter)

I'll stop posting about this now, its clearly getting people wound up, which is something I don't like doing.

Apologies if I have offended anyone, I was just joining into this discussion topic. Clearly some topics are not things we can express even in an open discussion forum for fear of being branded generalistic or as a ******. (Foxo you know who i'm talking about)

Again apologies, I'll not be so verbose in the future.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.