Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTC199)
    well im not too keen on the orange order march that happens every year in edinburgh because that is basically religious hatred that they are proclaiming.

in edinburgh we joke about it mroe than actually commiting it (like i will joke with me friends that rangers/hearts are shoddy teams and celtic is much better but its all banter)
    orange order marches are known to occur in england and other parts of the commonwealth (albeit not to such an extent as in Northern Ireland and parts of western scotland).
    Orange order marches are held each year by the members of these groups. The fact that an orange order exists in edinburgh is hardly suprising given that it is one of the big cities and the capital of scotland. Just because an orange march occurs in edinburgh does not mean everyone cares about sectarianism. Orange marches occur in London aswell, and most people probably do not even know about it.
    Therefore going back to the original point, sectarianism only affects mainstream life of those in the west of scotland.

ReputationRep:
    The question 'Is Scotland racist?' is absurd and not justified. In addition to this, the Scots people and I are offended by this question. Please, look into your dictionary or at wikipedia.com what racism means.

[...] the unfair treatment of people who belong to a different race [...] the belief that some races of people are better than others [...]

Of course, there are racists in Scotland and, of course, there are racists in other countries too. But finally, let's make that clear, the Scots people are an open society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    "its about them hating the English, which they do on the whole, which is racist. "
    Doesn't sound like an opinion to me, sounds like a statement...

"I think Scottish people can be a bit racist" or "in my experience the Scots are all racist" are opinions.

Call it semantics but it matters
    Yes, quite.

I'm a graduate as well you know, so please don't try and patronise me with inane nonsense.

And yes it is my last post on this matter, just re reading this thread and came across a bit of daftness to which I couldnt help stifling a giggle at and replying to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Sun)
    Yes, quite.

I'm a graduate as well you know, so please don't try and patronise me with inane nonsense.

And yes it is my last post on this matter, just re reading this thread and came across a bit of daftness to which I couldnt help stifling a giggle at and replying to.
    I did not "full well" know you are a graduate and to be honest I couldn't care less. How old you are doesn't give you the excuse to try and tell me on the whole my country is racist, as fact. I don't think you being older than me makes your "experience" more valid either, especially since you cite the opinion of *one* Scottish person to somehow make any of what you say credible. Although i see you've edited a good deal of your posts regarding that...

ReputationRep:
    Like I said if you read my post (god i've been drawn into this silly thread again)

I apologised, quite alot actually.

What else do you want? blood?

Oh and by the way (laughs out loud at this) I edit because im not very good with typing, not that it has anything to do with you really.

You really do need to calm down a bit. We don't want to see you getting all violent and aggressive towards an Englishman now do we?

ReputationRep:
    I will say not as much as the Southern or Midwestern US, but rural Scotland is racist. England tends to be more liberal. The rest of Europe is more colorblind.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Scottish and I find this thread quite offensive.

Of course we're not racist ffs, but you do get the odd racist person, like in every country in the world.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.