The Student Room Group

which uni would you choose out of these!

so have recieved one offer but was wondering ahead of what unis I should firm if I manage to get a place. have also applied for oxford/lse but havent included bc obviously i wont reject if i happen to be accepted in one or the other :smile:

Info:
- for PPE at UCL, Warwick (offer), Kings college
- Say you live in inner london so close to all the london unis and have great transport links - so you'd be living at home (shared room but have a lot of space kinda)
- you're a muslim girl (makes a difference when you're considering a uni in a less diverse area and also bc i won't be interested in nightlife as that might be a factor for others.
- would love independence and wouldn't mind living alone1
- would probably miss London sm but I don't mind a change as I'd be moving back to London after uni
-all courses appeal to me equally perhaps warwick's more because it seems very flexible
-contextual so for ucl and kings i get reduced offers
- quite social and would love to live independently

BASICALLY what I'm asking is to rank warwick, ucl and kings for PPE and the extra info is just additional to help

i could just wait for offers then decide of course but im an overthinker and procrastinator so avoiding my work and also very excited and nervous while waiting :wink:

any current students also could give their experiences at any unis i applied for or even any PPE-related students like Pol and econ - applying for that at lse
(edited 1 year ago)
i graduated from ppe at warwick in 2021
+ course content was dynamic and interesting, and chill in terms of study hours
+ graduating with a bsc was important to me
+ cheap af cost of living, especially compared to ucl and kings - my rent was £100/week
+ its good for londoners to leave london for an extended period at least once (life experience) imo
+ i made some really good friends
- night life is distinctly less good (but any university you go to is still sociable)
- cov and canley are ****
- leam is far away

fyi my offer was A*AA, but i got in with AAA + A* epq, so it may not be contextual but its flexible clearly if you're lucky

if you have any questions just ask
Original post by HoldThisL
i graduated from ppe at warwick in 2021
+ course content was dynamic and interesting, and chill in terms of study hours
+ graduating with a bsc was important to me
+ cheap af cost of living, especially compared to ucl and kings - my rent was £100/week
+ its good for londoners to leave london for an extended period at least once (life experience) imo
+ i made some really good friends
- night life is distinctly less good (but any university you go to is still sociable)
- cov and canley are ****
- leam is far away

fyi my offer was A*AA, but i got in with AAA + A* epq, so it may not be contextual but its flexible clearly if you're lucky

if you have any questions just ask

ty for your reply!

i didn't know unis like warwick could still let you in even if you miss your offer grades! thats awesome

questions i have on warwick:
- how diverse is the uni? in terms of ethnicity? and also religion but ethnic diversity is qute important for me considering Ive always lived and been in very diverse areas!
- how were each department?
- how were opportunites for internships as i assume london is better so what opportunites do warwick students get like in the summer?
- how did you find the course and what a levels did you do
- whats your career plan and how are you finding your graduate prospects?
- say you wanted to do a masters after, what kind of courses are popular for PPE grads?
- what did ppl in your course go on to do after?
- overall rate out of 5 :smile: (bold questions are my most important tysm)
Original post by Cant.be.asked
ty for your reply!

i didn't know unis like warwick could still let you in even if you miss your offer grades! thats awesome

questions i have on warwick:
- how diverse is the uni? in terms of ethnicity? and also religion but ethnic diversity is qute important for me considering Ive always lived and been in very diverse areas!
- how were each department?
- how were opportunites for internships as i assume london is better so what opportunites do warwick students get like in the summer?
- how did you find the course and what a levels did you do
- whats your career plan and how are you finding your graduate prospects?
- say you wanted to do a masters after, what kind of courses are popular for PPE grads?
- what did ppl in your course go on to do after?
- overall rate out of 5 :smile: (bold questions are my most important tysm)

diverse and islam society is big+active

departments idk. i wasn't super involved. they all felt similar and they coordinate to make sure people in joint degrees aren't facing widely different experiences

i don't know where the london-centric idea comes from in relation to university internships. companies don't prefer london applicants. warwick is very driven to finance and consulting careers you can get a lot of support and there's no problem. additionally its at least semi target

econ was hard i had to catch up a lot on maths because i studied econ geog and religious studies (and history AS). be prepared to write a lot if you prefer phil/pol

i didn't even consider a masters but i know people who went for phil and pol masters, and for stuff like data science and ai. a wide range is common

idk too much about my cohort. typical grad careers. ppeists do well in investment banks and consulting. im a software engineer. lots of people did masters

4/5. maths teaching was poor given they don't require A level maths. third year had these interdiciplinary modules - interesting but restrictive
To note, as alluded to above - Warwick is a target uni for investment banks and management consulting firms. They definitely will get good exposure through careers events etc to those and other fields. KCL is, notably, usually not considered a target uni for either (I believe it's usually considered "semi-target").

For anything outside of those two areas which uni you studied at isn't actually that important, and as indicated Warwick will attract a range of employers to hold careers fairs and events at the uni anyway.
Original post by artful_lounger
To note, as alluded to above - Warwick is a target uni for investment banks and management consulting firms. They definitely will get good exposure through careers events etc to those and other fields. KCL is, notably, usually not considered a target uni for either (I believe it's usually considered "semi-target").

For anything outside of those two areas which uni you studied at isn't actually that important, and as indicated Warwick will attract a range of employers to hold careers fairs and events at the uni anyway.

so for management consulting which is what im thinking of doing, warwick and ucl is better than kings? in terms of career opportunities.
Original post by HoldThisL
diverse and islam society is big+active

departments idk. i wasn't super involved. they all felt similar and they coordinate to make sure people in joint degrees aren't facing widely different experiences

i don't know where the london-centric idea comes from in relation to university internships. companies don't prefer london applicants. warwick is very driven to finance and consulting careers you can get a lot of support and there's no problem. additionally its at least semi target

econ was hard i had to catch up a lot on maths because i studied econ geog and religious studies (and history AS). be prepared to write a lot if you prefer phil/pol

i didn't even consider a masters but i know people who went for phil and pol masters, and for stuff like data science and ai. a wide range is common

idk too much about my cohort. typical grad careers. ppeists do well in investment banks and consulting. im a software engineer. lots of people did masters

4/5. maths teaching was poor given they don't require A level maths. third year had these interdiciplinary modules - interesting but restrictive

thank you!
Original post by Cant.be.asked
so for management consulting which is what im thinking of doing, warwick and ucl is better than kings? in terms of career opportunities.

For management consulting, yes.

Quick Reply

Latest