The Student Room Group

Personal Statement for different courses

I’m writing my personal statement, but I’m choosing 2 different courses at uni.
My choices are:
KCL- Physics
Warwick- Physics
LSE- Data Science
RHUL- Computer Science and Mathematics
City- Maths With Data Science

How can I tie all of these together for my PS?
Are the courses that I have chosen too dissimilar?
yikes there's some variation there. at least they're all applied quant disciplines

which is your preference? it strikes me that you don't even seem to have a favourite (eg physics) and are having to satisfice (ie lse data science) which would be acceptable, and are instead picking slightly diverse degrees when you could narrow it down a bit (warwick do data science degrees)
(edited 1 year ago)
You need to decide what you want to study.

Trying to combine these into a single PS will mean certain rejection for LSE at least.
Reply 3
Original post by HoldThisL
yikes there's some variation there. at least they're all applied quant disciplines

which is your preference? it strikes me that you don't even seem to have a favourite (eg physics) and are having to satisfice (ie lse data science) which would be acceptable, and are instead picking slightly diverse degrees when you could narrow it down a bit (warwick do data science degrees)

I’ve chosen degrees that focus more on the applied side of maths.
My personal statement is Physics-based as Warwick is my firm, but I’ve included work experience and projects that highlight my technical skills useful for data science.

Unfortunately I can’t apply to Warwick’s Data Science course as I do not have Further Maths :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
You need to decide what you want to study.

Trying to combine these into a single PS will mean certain rejection for LSE at least.

I’m thinking of changing LSE to UCL for Physics.
Perhaps having 3 Physics courses and 2 Maths and CS courses sounds better?
Original post by Hiim
I’m thinking of changing LSE to UCL for Physics.
Perhaps having 3 Physics courses and 2 Maths and CS courses sounds better?

Have you asked your maths & CS universities whether a physics PS would reduce your chances of an offer.

If you got offers from all 5 which would you choose. You don’t have to use all 5 choices.
Original post by Hiim
I’ve chosen degrees that focus more on the applied side of maths.
My personal statement is Physics-based as Warwick is my firm, but I’ve included work experience and projects that highlight my technical skills useful for data science.

Unfortunately I can’t apply to Warwick’s Data Science course as I do not have Further Maths :frown:

discrete mathematics?
there's no harm in asking any of the unis whether they would accept an extra ps. Your reason would need to be valid tho. Frankly I think the reason why my chemical engineering choices allowed extra personal statement alongside my ucas med ps was because I'm an international student studying in UK and the places for internationals are capped so they could see where I'm coming from
Reply 8
Original post by HoldThisL
discrete mathematics?

All of Warwick’s Maths courses require Further Maths, so there is no point in me applying.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
Have you asked your maths & CS universities whether a physics PS would reduce your chances of an offer.

If you got offers from all 5 which would you choose. You don’t have to use all 5 choices.

I haven’t tried that, thanks for the tip.

I would most likely choose Physics at KCL or Warwick if I got the grades and the offer.
Original post by Hiim
All of Warwick’s Maths courses require Further Maths, so there is no point in me applying.

oh WHAT my bad. in 2018 that course required AAB with an A in maths. that's crazy. i wonder what changed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending