The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Is a physics A-level needed for electrical engineering?

I'm currently in my second year of my A-levels (which are Biology, Chemistry and Maths) and im considering electrical and electronics engineering as a possibility. I regretfully didn't take physics as i wasn't sure of my path before so thought it was a silly subject to take alongside biology and maths as biology didnt fit so nicely with it even though i really loved physics and did well at GCSE. Will my lack of knowledge on electricity and other physics fundamentals really screw me over now or will i be able to pursue electrical engineering and patch up the wholes in my knowledge as I go?
Original post by Tartus790
I'm currently in my second year of my A-levels (which are Biology, Chemistry and Maths) and im considering electrical and electronics engineering as a possibility. I regretfully didn't take physics as i wasn't sure of my path before so thought it was a silly subject to take alongside biology and maths as biology didnt fit so nicely with it even though i really loved physics and did well at GCSE. Will my lack of knowledge on electricity and other physics fundamentals really screw me over now or will i be able to pursue electrical engineering and patch up the wholes in my knowledge as I go?

Some universities will want to see Physics; some won't.

Take a look at then entry requirements for some universities you might be interest in applying to.

BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Imperial College London, here, needs Mathematics and Physics.
Electrical and Electronic Engineering BEng (Hons) or MEng at at University of Surrey, here, needs Mathematics and one of: Physics, Electronics, Computing, Computer Science, Further Mathematics, Design and Technology (Systems and Control).

So, both of those would be out. However...

Electrical and Electronic Engineering BEng Honours at Newcastle University, here, requires only Mathematics or Further Mathematics; Physics isn't mentioned at all.
BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering at University of Bristol, here, requires only Mathematics; again, Physics is not mentioned.

You will also find some others, such as BEng Electronics and Electrical Engineering at University of Edinburgh, here, who prefer Physics but don't require it.

You just need to do your research, and ensure that your subject profile meets the requirements of each of the universities to which you apply.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Some universities will want to see Physics; some won't.

Take a look at then entry requirements for some universities you might be interest in applying to.

BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Imperial College London, here, needs Mathematics and Physics.
Electrical and Electronic Engineering BEng (Hons) or MEng at at University of Surrey, here, needs Mathematics and one of: Physics, Electronics, Computing, Computer Science, Further Mathematics, Design and Technology (Systems and Control).

So, both of those would be out. However...

Electrical and Electronic Engineering BEng Honours at Newcastle University, here, requires only Mathematics or Further Mathematics; Physics isn't mentioned at all.
BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering at University of Bristol, here, requires only Mathematics; again, Physics is not mentioned.

You will also find some others, such as BEng Electronics and Electrical Engineering at University of Edinburgh, here, who prefer Physics but don't require it.

You just need to do your research, and ensure that your subject profile meets the requirements of each of the universities to which you apply.

Thank you for your reply! I've been looking at uni of sheffield and it seems they don't require physics either and this would probably be my first choice so that's good! I've also heard the electricity content at A-level physics isn't insane to learn so catching up shouldn't be so bad.
Reply 3
Hi did you end up applying for EEE without physics? if yes how did it go as i am in a similar position
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Tartus790

eh its prob fine

Latest