The Student Room Group

LLB/Accelerated LLB

Hi,
I'm an American looking to study law in the UK in 2 years. I've completed 2 undergraduate degrees (double majored) and am finishing up a master's degree now to teach. However, I've decided teaching probably isn't what I want to do for too many years (especially here in the US), so I plan on a career change.
I've wished to study in the UK for years, but I'm confused on what I can apply for. Can I apply for an undergraduate degree in law, even though I already have two from the US? Or can I apply for a postgraduate Law degree even though I've never studied Law before?

My overall GPA was a high 1st (3.74/4.00) and my GPA from my master's is a 3.9/4.0. My Bachelors are in Political Science & Spanish. I was interested in law school before, but decided against it because I wasn't as certain I wanted to be a lawyer until now.

If anyone can please point me in the right direction for exactly what I can apply for, I'd be very appreciative!

Thank you!
Original post by HopingAcademic
Hi,
I'm an American looking to study law in the UK in 2 years. I've completed 2 undergraduate degrees (double majored) and am finishing up a master's degree now to teach. However, I've decided teaching probably isn't what I want to do for too many years (especially here in the US), so I plan on a career change.
I've wished to study in the UK for years, but I'm confused on what I can apply for. Can I apply for an undergraduate degree in law, even though I already have two from the US? Or can I apply for a postgraduate Law degree even though I've never studied Law before?

My overall GPA was a high 1st (3.74/4.00) and my GPA from my master's is a 3.9/4.0. My Bachelors are in Political Science & Spanish. I was interested in law school before, but decided against it because I wasn't as certain I wanted to be a lawyer until now.

If anyone can please point me in the right direction for exactly what I can apply for, I'd be very appreciative!

Thank you!

Have you thought of a law conversion course? Here is an idea for you: https://www.thelawyerportal.com/study-law/gdl/
50% of my senior status law (Ie 2 year llb) was Canadian or American as so much cheaper than doing it there.
I’d do 2 year over 3 as much cheaper and your used to essay writing so your first year counts towards degree.

I’d check if gdl is accepted if you want to practice in USA. That’s only one year but very intense and only 7 core subjects so no optional ones. However Cheaper than 2 years at a uk university.
Original post by Lowrypaintings
Have you thought of a law conversion course? Here is an idea for you: https://www.thelawyerportal.com/study-law/gdl/

I have looked into that as well! Is that the course I should apply to, then?
Original post by Catherine1973
50% of my senior status law (Ie 2 year llb) was Canadian or American as so much cheaper than doing it there.
I’d do 2 year over 3 as much cheaper and your used to essay writing so your first year counts towards degree.

I’d check if gdl is accepted if you want to practice in USA. That’s only one year but very intense and only 7 core subjects so no optional ones. However Cheaper than 2 years at a uk university.

Thank you! I don't plan on practicing in the US at all. My goal would be to practice in the UK.
I have looked into that as well! Is that the course I should apply to, then?

Could you please give me some details on what you are after? Do you want to practice in the UK or do you just want a Law degree for the US? If you want to work here, then the conversion course would help you. 1 year intensive training on U.K. law, your existing degree becomes LLB and some of the providers offer the option to study for S.Q.E (Solicitor's Qualifying Exam) simultaneously
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Lowrypaintings
Could you please give me some details on what you are after? Do you want to practice in the UK or do you just want a Law degree for the US? If you want to work here, then the conversion course would help you. 1 year intensive training on U.K. law, your existing degree becomes LLB and some of the providers offer the option to study for S.Q.E (Solicitor's Qualifying Exam) simultaneously

Oh, yes! My main goal is to go over and practice in the UK. I do not want to ever return to the US. 😂 I really don't think I could do an entire law degree in a years' time, though. That would be way too demanding for me. I don't mind taking 2 or 3 years to do it. I've seen some unis offer 2 year courses.
(edited 1 year ago)
Oh, yes! My main goal is to go over and practice in the UK. I do not want to ever return to the US. 😂 I really don't think I could do an entire law degree in a years' time, though. That would be way too demanding for me. I don't mind taking 2 or 3 years to do it. I've seen some unis offer 2 year courses.

Ok, not trying to push you into 1 year courses. If you want to become a solicitor and you already have any degree, then you might want to consider S.Q.E courses. If you prefer becoming a barrister then let me know and I will send you more information. I would suggest you go on a conversion course part-time than a two-year llb, but that would be up to you, really
The main benefit of a 2 year llb is that if you are unused to uk university way of writing etc it gives you longer to bed in, practice essays and exams before even end of year 1 exams. As high marks are the best approach whichever way you go.
But if you don’t have worries about that then it doesn’t matter much.
Original post by Catherine1973
The main benefit of a 2 year llb is that if you are unused to uk university way of writing etc it gives you longer to bed in, practice essays and exams before even end of year 1 exams. As high marks are the best approach whichever way you go.
But if you don’t have worries about that then it doesn’t matter much.

I am unfamiliar with the UK's way of exams and writing, so I'm planning on doing a 2 year course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending