Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How would you say in german,

I hope to be able to avoid having to learn to speak French.
    I cannot get the grasp of all the verbs.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by kay1234)

That doesn't really make sense to me, but a literal translation would be something along the lines of "Ich hoffe, dass ich es vermeiden kann, Französisch zu lernen. Ich komme mit den ganzen Verben nicht klar".

ReputationRep:
    Ich hoffe, dass ich Französisch nicht lernen muss? (I hope that I don't have to learn French)
    Ich kann die Verben nicht gut verstehen. (I can't understand the verbs well)

Best/easiest way I can think of saying it..

ReputationRep:
    Ich hoffe zu vermeiden koennen, Frazoesisch lernen zu muessen.

??
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jonnythemoose)
    Ich hoffe zu vermeiden koennen, Frazoesisch lernen zu muessen.

??
    Hmm, that doesn't really work I'm afraid... If anything, you'd say "Ich hoffe vermeiden zu können, Französisch lernen zu müssen".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Hmm, that doesn't really work I'm afraid... If anything, you'd say "Ich hoffe vermeiden zu können, Französisch lernen zu müssen".
    I had a feeling it wasn't correct

ReputationRep:
    "Ich hoffe Franzoesisch nicht lernen zu muessen".

Is somewhat more neat, but is not an exact transliteration.

The second Part:

"Ich begreife die ganzen Verben nicht"/"Ich komme mit den Verben nicht zurecht" (is somewhat less informal than "ich komme nicht klar" ).

For instance.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one that thought 'I cannot get a grasp of all the verbs' was referring to the complicated German sentence, rather than the desire to learn French? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one that thought 'I cannot get a grasp of all the verbs' was referring to the complicated German sentence, rather than the desire to learn French? :p:
    Yes, but now that you mention it...bit ambiguous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kay1234)

Hi,
    if I'd have to translate this literally, I would say:
    Ich hoffe, in der Lage zu sein, verhindern zu können, lernen zu müssen, französisch zu sprechen.

Obviously, someone doesn't like talking French and hopes to avoid it wherever he can. If I had to say this in German, I'd say: Ich hoffe, es lässt sich vermeiden, dass ich tatsächlich Französisch sprechen muss. In the sense of-
    don't approach me, I won't answer
    that's a feeling I know too well.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    :laugh:
    You know - you may be on to something there... That way it would actually make sense.
    Oops.:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grizzlybär)
    Hi,
    if I'd have to translate this literally, I would say:
    Ich hoffe, in der Lage zu sein, verhindern zu können, lernen zu müssen, französisch zu sprechen.

Obviously, someone doesn't like talking French and hopes to avoid it wherever he can. If I had to say this in German, I'd say: Ich hoffe, es lässt sich vermeiden, dass ich tatsächlich Französisch sprechen muss. In the sense of-
    don't approach me, I won't answer
    that's a feeling I know too well.
    The English is clumsily formulated, but I'm not sure they mean it in that sense. I think he just means he doesn't want to learn French.
    Though I could be wrong...that sentence is odd!

ReputationRep:
    I guess that person is in a situation where French is at least partially spoken (or else why would he hope to avoid it?) learning the basics is ok but no talking, please.
    Maybe I'm too focused on my own situation. I've learnt French in school ages ago and I haven't spoken it ever since. Voluntarily I wouldn't either..(ähm, soll heißen, dass würde ich freiwillig auch nicht) Though I could be wrong, too.
    Please, kay1234 enlighten us!

ReputationRep:
    Heh, I'm pretty sure this person is in one of my classes at uni. I had this exact sentence to translate this week, except it was Japanese instead of French :p:

I translated it as: "Ich würde gerne vermeiden, die japanische Sprache lernen zu müssen."

I know it's not an exact translation but it's the best I could come up with at the time.

ReputationRep:
    Ich hoffe, dass ich das Lernen von Französisch vermeiden kann.
    Ich kann nicht alle Verben erlernen.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 27, 2008
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.