Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This goes to anyone taking Philosophy, Ok a generic and maybe shallow question, but what uni's have a good nightlife and do Philosophy as well? I Really enjoy Philosophy and wish to resume taking it at a Uni. But I want to enjoy myself as well as get a good degree. So any help with this, will be much appreciated???

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    it depends what level universities you are looking at. manchester and leeds are famous for their nightlives and they both do philosophy. warwick has one of the best student unions in the country and it's really good for philosophy. same for sheffield, or so i've heard. depends what kind of uni you're looking for and what kind of philosophy course as every single philosophy course is different.

ReputationRep:
    Practically every uni offers a course in philosophy!!
    If you're not fussy about the actual course content, choose a uni with a good nightlife (probably will end up being a large city, london, manchester etc) , and just check that they offer it (chances are they will...)
    And.. if you like it and meet the grades you're set

ReputationRep:
    Well, philosopy is offered by a large number of unis, including most of the major ones. So you can take your pick really. You have the usual party and student cities (Newcastle, Leeds, Manhcester etc.). Newcastle comes recommnded as a great student city, it's nightlife is well known, however, without confusing matters further, it doesn't offer "philosophy" (V500) but rather philosophy and knowledge and human interests. We were having a discussion, just the week before last, about how strong Newcastle's programme is. Still, there are the other redbricks (Sheffield - a particularly good department, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham). Bristol's got a great philosophy department and is fairly well rated as a student city. Glasgow's a vibrant city and good department, there's Edinburgh too.

Probably not up your street, but there's Durham (top uni and fine department) and, although its clubbing scene is virtually non-existent, you can come to a comprimise with a trip to Newcastle once or twice a week, if you think you could cope with that. Otherwise you'd probably find Durham too stifling, if you see what I mean?

But just think of most of the major unis and cities, chances are they'll offer philosophy. Do you have any particular philosophical interests?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all response, found them really informative, with questions answered and certain ideas confirmed. To River 85 I'm probably looking at AAB if i get what i am supposed to, and i like the sound of Bristol Uni + its course it very good and the night life is supposed to be brilliant, thanks again to all , anyone know the level of difficulty on getting in?

ReputationRep:
    again it depends where you apply. philosophy is not particularly oversubscribed, except i hear edinburgh get a lot of applications. probably average. not as much as english lit, law, medicine, but not as few as theology, chemistry and such.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Are you serious?? For example, its the 2nd most oversubscribed course in Cambridge (behind architecture).

Philosophy is becoming increasingly popular at degree level and unis are finding themselves increasingly oversubscribed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    Are you serious?? For example, its the 2nd most oversubscribed course in Cambridge (behind architecture).

Philosophy is becoming increasingly popular at degree level and unis are finding themselves increasingly oversubscribed.
    :ditto:

I can see where tissue shoulders in coming from. However, it's still more oversubscrived than most subjects.

It's certainly becoming increasingly popular. I know entry requirements have increased across the board, amongst all (or most) subjects. This is particularly the case with philosophy though. Universities that were asking for BBC just three years ago are now asking for AAB/ABB. Durham jumped from a fairly modest ABB to AAA-AAB in just the last year.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm interesting... I had no idea.

ReputationRep:
    University of Liverpool - recommended in the Leiter Report (a report of the 'best' philosophy departments in Europe/America) and also consistently deemed to have one of the 'best nightlife/student nightlife' in the UK.

Was also recently calculated to have the lowest living expenses of any Russell Group university.

Also, University of Sheffield - I really cannot stress how good this University/Department really is

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.