The Student Room Group

Law LLB or Law With Spanish Law LLB

Is there any reason I should take Law with Spanish Law LLB instead of a regular law degree if my goal is to become a barrister in the UK?

I'm wondering which law courses I should apply to, and I can't decide between these two. I have an extensive background in studying European Spanish, which is why I'm wanting to take the course. I don't think I would want to do international law unless it's criminally focused.

I would love it if anyone who studies Law with European/another modern language could chime in. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
I think you’re confusing yourself but remember it is Law WITH Spanish Law LLB so it may be a slightly bigger workload but it can open up your options more. I would research some universities that offer this course and maybe look at the modules so you can tailor it to be able to do criminal law.
Original post by JA03
I think you’re confusing yourself but remember it is Law WITH Spanish Law LLB so it may be a slightly bigger workload but it can open up your options more. I would research some universities that offer this course and maybe look at the modules so you can tailor it to be able to do criminal law.

Thank you very much!
Criminal law is one of the 7 core llb subjects. As 7 are core, in the 3 year llb at my university I think you had 5 module options over years 2-3.
Criminal evidence was probably the only criminal law similar option but I Imagine the language part will use up all spare module choices.
Original post by Catherine1973
Criminal law is one of the 7 core llb subjects. As 7 are core, in the 3 year llb at my university I think you had 5 module options over years 2-3.
Criminal evidence was probably the only criminal law similar option but I Imagine the language part will use up all spare module choices.

That could be true. I think I'll message the unis and ask about how the course is structured because all I've seen is "Spanish Law" and no further definitions of what exactly that would include.
If you're good at Spanish, and don't mind the extra workload (are substantially interested in Spanish), then definitely go for that because you will be applying for a lower grade requirement and there will be a lot less competition. It'll probably also be impressive to future employers as it means you can work with clients that are abroad and whatnot. I would do a joint honours, but I suck at languages.
Original post by toxicgamage56
If you're good at Spanish, and don't mind the extra workload (are substantially interested in Spanish), then definitely go for that because you will be applying for a lower grade requirement and there will be a lot less competition. It'll probably also be impressive to future employers as it means you can work with clients that are abroad and whatnot. I would do a joint honours, but I suck at languages.

I adore Spanish!! I would LOVE to work with clients who speak the language. I do want to make sure I can add crim law to it, though, so I'll ask the universities. This option doesn't exist in the US, so I'm really looking forward to applying next year for this course!
Thank you for your help! :smile:
Original post by HopingAcademic
I adore Spanish!! I would LOVE to work with clients who speak the language. I do want to make sure I can add crim law to it, though, so I'll ask the universities. This option doesn't exist in the US, so I'm really looking forward to applying next year for this course!

Ah, that sounds ideal for you then. I might be wrong, but is criminal law not normally a module taught during the course? Or is criminal law absent from the course in question?
Original post by toxicgamage56
Ah, that sounds ideal for you then. I might be wrong, but is criminal law not normally a module taught during the course? Or is criminal law absent from the course in question?

It is foundational, from what I've been able to see. I have to look at the courses more in-depth to give a better answer 😂
Original post by HopingAcademic
It is foundational, from what I've been able to see. I have to look at the courses more in-depth to give a better answer 😂

Oh ok, yeah research the course well.

Quick Reply