Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else doing this?

ReputationRep:
    i did it last year.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, okay so my biology teacher told me on Friday that I was doing this on Tuesday...
    Apparently she wants to proove to all the private schools that we're just as good or something

What the hell is it?? Do I have to revise? I've just finished exams I don't want more work!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elwoodc)
    Hmm, okay so my biology teacher told me on Friday that I was doing this on Tuesday...
    Apparently she wants to proove to all the private schools that we're just as good or something

What the hell is it?? Do I have to revise? I've just finished exams I don't want more work!!!!
    http://www.biology-olympiad.org.uk/b...piad/syllabus/

Its all multi choice. I'm sort of sceptical about it since it seems to be more of a test of how much you're learnt/ can memorise as opposed ot biological flair.
    The syllabus is pretty much all of biology, and some of the questions will be on your A level syllabus but some wont.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllyH)
    http://www.biology-olympiad.org.uk/b...piad/syllabus/

Its all multi choice. I'm sort of sceptical about it since it seems to be more of a test of how much you're learnt/ can memorise as opposed ot biological flair.
    The syllabus is pretty much all of biology, and some of the questions will be on your A level syllabus but some wont.
    Thanks
    Did the practice test and got 22 through alot of guessing lol... oh dear.
    Do you know how much you need to get through to the 2nd round?

The whole thing seems a little weird though... I mean biology is knowledge based, you've either been taught it (or know it) or you haven't.

It's not like the maths challenge where you really can't revise and it's more sort of logic....
    ...this biology thing is just strange....

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Did the practice test and got 22 through alot of guessing lol... oh dear.
    Do you know how much you need to get through to the 2nd round?

The whole thing seems a little weird though... I mean biology is knowledge based, you've either been taught it (or know it) or you haven't.

It's not like the maths challenge where you really can't revise and it's more sort of logic....
    ...this biology thing is just strange....
    Yea, I agree it is weird. I'm not planning any sort of preparation since I've got an interview at Bristol vet school the day before so all my time is going towards that. I'm just going to turn up and hope for the best/fluke.

I think they take on the top however many marks for the next stage, so there isnt a set mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllyH)
    Yea, I agree it is weird. I'm not planning any sort of preparation since I've got an interview at Bristol vet school the day before so all my time is going towards that. I'm just going to turn up and hope for the best/fluke.

I think they take on the top however many marks for the next stage, so there isnt a set mark.
    Ahh ok...
    Yeah I'm really not going to revise lol I can't really see the point in the whole thing anyway... UCAS has been sent and my uni course isn't even biology- related :p:
    Good luck with your interview!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this as well! But on Friday morning (before the new FP1 :shifty:), so don't spoil it for me...!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be sitting this soon :p:

ReputationRep:
    haha :laughing:
    Well this is badly planned... I could tell you guys some of the questions
    (not that I can actually remember any of the wig-out words they used, let alone what they were asking... :p: )

ReputationRep:
    Lol I did this today. Was so random... :laugh:

Meh, I doubt I'll be getting anything.

ReputationRep:
    Haha anyone know when we hear??

ReputationRep:
    i did it today. so pointless!

ReputationRep:
    Woo! I actually sat this today! I think we can discuss it now...the BBO's time range is over, but can someone confirm it please?

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was slightly pointless. Lots of educated guessing.

ReputationRep:
    Ha yeah I used the method..
    "umm, well 'B' hasn't come up for a little while... let's put 'B'..."
    or... 'wow that's a cool looking word! haha lets go with that..'

ReputationRep:
    or... 'wow that's a cool looking word! haha lets go with that..'
    Same here! Some of those Biology words are great!

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what I did (there were a deficiency of B's in the middle 20 or so, I thought)!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when we'll hear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harmonium)
    Does anyone know when we'll hear?
    From the website...

Second Round
    High scoring students from the first round will be invited to take an additional paper between 25th Feb and 3rd March 2009, the results from which wil be used to identify/ select the twelve finalists.
    I guess we'll hear pretty soon if we're through to the second round..

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.