Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a fan of the gym, but I've found this video of exercises to do at home without any equipment. I had a go at it, doing each exercise about 15 times and I'm feeling it now (I am quite unfit).

I just wanted to know anyones opinons on the video and if you think it constitutes a decent workout to do 3 times a week? Obviously it must be better than nothing

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oQR4p9HSAmA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freud)
    Obviously it must be better than nothing
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Bodyweight exercises are a good way of keeping fit, losing fat, building muscle, improving your conditioning, etc.

Personally that video isn't the best, it is overly complicated (why do 20+ exercises per workout when 4ish can do the job just as well?), it is a bit much for a beginner and it wasn't particularly balanced (lots of leg and pec work, little if anything for the back, which could in itself make you more prone to injury and mess with your posture).

Check out Burpee conditioning (it's mentioned in the Fitness Sticky) and Rosstraining (again, mentioned in the sticky, check out 'No Excuses', 'Deck of Cards', etc down at the bottom). http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...00cee793cd____ is also worth checking out.

Now these workouts are pretty intense, if you have difficulties doing one or more exercises, substitute it for something easier (eg; body rows for pullups, kneeling pushups for full pushups, etc), equally if they're too easy, change things, make it harder (eg; substitute one armed pressups for normal pressups, or add in some dumbbell work). Also, vary the exercises every now and again, keep your body guessing and improving.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.