The Student Room Group

Choice Dilemma

My predicted grades are 3 A*s and I've applied for PPE at Warwick (A*AA), Kings (A*AA), Leeds (AAA offer given), Loughborough (AAB) and Southampton (ABB)

However, I think that having both Loughborough and Southampton are unnecessary so I was thinking of replacing Southampton with LSE Pol+Econ (AAA) and making Loughborough my insurance as LSE is highly regarded in the field of economics and I feel like having two universities as backups are a waste of a space.

However, if I remove Southampton I run the risk of not having a backup with a B grade if Loughborough reject my application.

I'm quite torn on this decision so any insight on this will be welcome!
Original post by rudz_9
My predicted grades are 3 A*s and I've applied for PPE at Warwick (A*AA), Kings (A*AA), Leeds (AAA offer given), Loughborough (AAB) and Southampton (ABB)

However, I think that having both Loughborough and Southampton are unnecessary so I was thinking of replacing Southampton with LSE Pol+Econ (AAA) and making Loughborough my insurance as LSE is highly regarded in the field of economics and I feel like having two universities as backups are a waste of a space.

However, if I remove Southampton I run the risk of not having a backup with a B grade if Loughborough reject my application.

I'm quite torn on this decision so any insight on this will be welcome!

Did you apply within the last 14 days? If not, you can't change.

Why would Loughborough reject you?
Ye I applied 10 days ago, I have no idea why they would reject I was just weighing up the possibilty in case they did coz if they did I would be in a precarious position

Original post by ageshallnot
Did you apply within the last 14 days? If not, you can't change.

Why would Loughborough reject you?
Original post by rudz_9
Ye I applied 10 days ago, I have no idea why they would reject I was just weighing up the possibilty in case they did coz if they did I would be in a precarious position

With 3 A* predictions I suggest that you don't need 2 unis with B in their requirements, unless you have other weaknesses such as poor GCSEs or dubious A-level subjects.
My subjects are Econ, History and Maths and my GCSE's were 3 9s 4 8s and 3 7s, would I have to take two backups in this case?

With 3 A* predictions I suggest that you don't need 2 unis with B in their requirements, unless you have other weaknesses such as poor GCSEs or dubious A-level subjects.
Honestly just do it. You can always apply next year.
Original post by rudz_9
My subjects are Econ, History and Maths and my GCSE's were 3 9s 4 8s and 3 7s, would I have to take two backups in this case?

No, you don't need 2 backups.

Btw why Pol/Econ not PPE at LSE?
Appying to all 'top grade' Unis for something as competitive as PPE is exceptionally risky - you could easily end up with no offers at all.
Your grades do not guarantee you an offer because everyone amongst the thousands applying to KCL, LSE, Wariwck etc will all have top grades.

So - you need either lower grade choices for PPE (Sussex) or some slighly different choices like https://bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2023/politics-international-relations/bsc-philosophy-politics/ that are less competitive than PPE.
Original post by McGinger
Appying to all 'top grade' Unis for something as competitive as PPE is exceptionally risky - you could easily end up with no offers at all.
Your grades do not guarantee you an offer because everyone amongst the thousands applying to KCL, LSE, Wariwck etc will all have top grades.

So - you need either lower grade choices for PPE (Sussex) or some slighly different choices like https://bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2023/politics-international-relations/bsc-philosophy-politics/ that are less competitive than PPE.

The OP already has an offer from Leeds (AAA).
No, you don't need 2 backups.

Btw why Pol/Econ not PPE at LSE?

The PPE course at LSE is 4 years without a postgrad and it also requires the A* to be in Maths and not any other subject, Warwick and Kings are both 3 year courses and the A* can be in anything
Original post by McGinger

I've already received a PPE offer from Leeds which I was very happy with, as a result of this I thought that I can change one of my backup unis to a higher one in order to leave me with more choice in terms of which Uni I can get into
Original post by rudz_9
I've already received a PPE offer from Leeds which I was very happy with, as a result of this I thought that I can change one of my backup unis to a higher one in order to leave me with more choice in terms of which Uni I can get into

As above, I agree with that strategy.
Original post by rudz_9
The PPE course at LSE is 4 years without a postgrad and it also requires the A* to be in Maths and not any other subject, Warwick and Kings are both 3 year courses and the A* can be in anything

Rational.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending