Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    matrix is:

Find eigenvalues of matrix.

Really stuck on how to do this as I work it out using the only method I know and get (0-λ ) (λ^2) + (λ ). Obviously a solution is 1 but I need to find two more??

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure your characteristic equation is right, shouldn't it be λ^3 - 1?

But yes, you need 3 eigenvalues for a 3*3 matrix (some can be repeated)

ReputationRep:
    rearrange to form 3x3I_n ---> triangluar, eigenvalues =1

ReputationRep:
    how do you get λ^3 - 1 then?? have I got it wrong? I am not sure what I am doing and only have one example to work from!

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Well by doing it the way you presumably did it (I guess it'd be 1-λ^3 actually), the last term in your expression should be 1*(1*1 - 0 *(0-λ)) = 1, not λ as you have

Remember the eigenvalues can be complex as well, so you don't want to just write λ = 1 as a repeated solution

EDIT/ That smiley thing should be a λ,dunno why it isn't working

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC REN)
    Remember the eigenvalues can be complex as well, so you don't want to just write λ = 1 as a repeated solution
    In the question it says find the eigenvalues of the matrix, one of the eigenvalues is real and the remaining two are complex. Find the eigenvector corresponding to the real eigenvalue.

pleeeasee Can you explain how you got your answer and how I go about getting the complex eigenvalues?????

thanks

ReputationRep:
    -Write down the matrix and then subtract λ from each of the diagonal terms
    -Set the determinant of this to zero, to get the characteristic equation (λ^3 - 1 = 0), which you nearly had - I'm fairly certain you'd just a slight mistake in the algebra
    -Solve this equation for λ (hint: e^{2i \pi} = 1)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.