The Student Room Group

I Am Homeless Can The Council Help

im a full time student who has been asked to leave home . i dont have alot of money and i am thinking of dropping out of my course for a while due to the stress. however i dont know if the council will be able to help me. has anyone ever been in this stituation if so what did you do. i have never slept rough so dont think i can do the streets thing and i have no close family and friends wont help either. wat do i do ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hmmmm,I think they can hmmm........you need to speak to someone...who I don't know....speak to connexions:confused:..

http://www.connexions-direct.com/
Perhaps give the Citizens advice bureau a try, I think they offer free advice and will be able to point you in the right direction. There should be a branch near you, if not, consult their website, maybe they have a telephone line or something.
Reply 3
Do you have an income to rent somewhere?
Reply 4
When you say you have been asked to leave home, are your parents literally chucking you out, or just saying that they would like you to find somewhere else to live?
My cousin was in a similar position, and he was rehoused almost immediately...
The council HAVE to provide you with accomodation if you are being made homeless involuntarily. Speak to someone at the CAB, http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/, and get on it STRAIGHT AWAY - i.e. RIGHT NOW so you can get your accomodation sorted ASAP.

Whether you need to drop out of your course is a decision only you can make, but remember that stress is only temporary if you can work through it; whereas dropping out of your course is permanent.
Reply 7
Go to your local Citizens Advice centre (a free local council service) and tell them your issue. Alternatively speak to Connexions, the local council-if all else fails go to your local job centre and speak to an advisor.
Your best bet is the Citizens Advice centre though.
Good Luck
Reply 8
tomoli
When you say you have been asked to leave home, are your parents literally chucking you out, or just saying that they would like you to find somewhere else to live?

yes they have asked me to leave on monday
Reply 9
adilmorrison
My cousin was in a similar position, and he was rehoused almost immediately...

wat do u mean rehoused was he given a place by the council and were they in full time education. i am asking because i dnt want to drop my course just so the council can see me as suitable.
hot71988
wat do u mean rehoused was he given a place by the council and were they in full time education. i am asking because i dnt want to drop my course just so the council can see me as suitable.

Yup... He was rehoused because he literally didn't have a place to go. He had to prove that there was no way he could live with his parents, and then he was given a place...
OMG, that's so raaaaaaw.

Why are you being asked to leave????
Reply 13
thanks everyone im going to my council tomorrow to see what they can do i hope they can help
Reply 14
^^Good luck:smile:.
Reply 15
How about you get a job and rent privately?

Stop expecting the government to sort your life out.
Reply 16
Have you been in contact with Shelter?
Reply 17
Titch89
Have you been in contact with Shelter?

no i thought its best i speak to the council first or does it not matter i can speak to them anyway?
Reply 18
I would speak to them anyway, personally.
Reply 19
ms500
How about you get a job and rent privately?

Stop expecting the government to sort your life out.

did you not get the bit about me being in full time education and not having enough money. i work PT but have you looked at the rent in london? dnt say anything before you know the full story OK