This discussion is closed.
Makavelli_07
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I've been giving some serious consideration lately to starting Weightlifting and working out properly. By this i mean going to the gym several times a week, eating properly etc.

I'm a fit, athletic guy anyway, as i play alot of sport, but i just want to go that one step further. I don't want to be a massive bodybuiler, but i'd like to make the most of my body. I'm 6'4, so it'd be nice to be quite big.

Anyone else who does this feel like giving me some advice or tips, i'd really appreciate it.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Makavelli_07)
I've been giving some serious consideration lately to starting Weightlifting and working out properly. By this i mean going to the gym several times a week, eating properly etc.

I'm a fit, athletic guy anyway, as i play alot of sport, but i just want to go that one step further. I don't want to be a massive bodybuiler, but i'd like to make the most of my body. I'm 6'4, so it'd be nice to be quite big.

Anyone else who does this feel like giving me some advice or tips, i'd really appreciate it.
Dude, if youre interested then go for it Join a gym or invest in a home multigym. Good luck with it!
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
I' going to join a Gym. I was going to buy a home multigym, but i don't have room.

I was just looking for some advice on set work out routines, as i'm not a regular gym user and just mainly use the CV machines when i do go. I also know very little on the nutrional side of things. I have checked various websites, and seen a few routines, but i was looking for someone who actually does this that could help.

Cheers for the encouragement, though.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I' going to join a Gym. I was going to buy a home multigym, but i don't have room.

I was just looking for some advice on set work out routines, as i'm not a regular gym user and just mainly use the CV machines when i do go. I also know very little on the nutrional side of things. I have checked various websites, and seen a few routines, but i was looking for someone who actually does this that could help.

Cheers for the encouragement, though.
No worries, i know jack about nutrition and workouts though I'm a weakling hehe
horrorboy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

erm don't make the mistake of doing endurance training rather than strength. I mean say if you lift light weights loadsa times that would only increase your endurance, whereas to build muscle mass you need to have high intensity but less repetitions.
im sure you know already though
Harv616
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Make sure you work out AND EAT!!!!!

i decided to work out but didt change my eating habits........now im a twig..............
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
(Original post by horrorboy)
erm don't make the mistake of doing endurance training rather than strength. I mean say if you lift light weights loadsa times that would only increase your endurance, whereas to build muscle mass you need to have high intensity but less repetitions.
im sure you know already though
Nope, i didn't already know. That's what i mean, i've never really been interested in it before, so i have no idea. I've always just kept fit and in shape from playing football, rugby and swimming. I've only just become interested in it, hence trying to find out some information and advice.

I'm guessing you know what your talking about, so if you would be kind enough to give me some detailed advice, either in here or a PM, then i'd really appreciate it.
fordeletionpurposesonly.
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
When you go to your gym, speak to the people there about building a plan for you, so that you know what machines do what and when/how often you should be using them for your particular aims.

My local gym, for a £20 fee, took me through all the machines in the gym, showing me what they do - then asked me what my specific aims were and built me a workout using just specific machines which will help build up my fitness (my aim). Now I do the workout three times a week, and I've already felt an improvement and in 6 weeks time they're going to review my plan with me and make any changes to it. Not bad really!

Without the gym people showing me what to do, I'd most probably just use one or two machines for far too long and either look like a rake or bulk up to the extent that I look like the Hulk.

Basically, ask the professionals they'll be able to really help you out.

Good luck
Alice2411
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

go4it! but instead of going to the gym loads each week, try and build ur self up so trhat u dont get too exhaunsted. i.e. for 1 month, go to the gym once a week for an hour, the next month go twice a week, or just once a week 4 2hours, ul find that u get a lost more fit that way and not so exhausted. good luck my dear. xxx
El Giblets
Report 14 years ago
Dude, check out the Mens Heath message board at their website: http://www.menshealth.co.uk/

They have fitness experts on there and most of the posters are all into fitness & are happy to share tips & advice. Sounds to me like you want to bulk up/put on muscle, therefore you will need to up the protein in your diet as protein is what your body uses to build muscle mass. Plus, you need to get your technique right!!! Most people go into the gym and just work on their 'pecs' and nothing else! Your body responds to muscle growth by stimulating all of its muscles, especially the legs! Your legs are one of the bodies biggest muscle groups, put them into your work out and you will bulk quicker/more effectively. Plus you won't look a plum by being buffed up top yet have skinny chicken legs.

Check out the sight, you'll learn more there than from any 17yr gym instructor!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24.06%
No (322)
75.94%

Watched Threads