Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Iodine forms the compounds with fluroine IF and IF3. The bonding in IF is the smae as in the halogen elements.

1. Sketch the I - F molecule to show its permanent dipole. Explain why the molecule has this polarity.

Any idea how I'm supposed to sketch this?
    Also, is it's dipole negative towards the F, because fluorine has a very high electronegativity?

2. Draw a dot and cross diagram for IF3. Sketch the shape of the IF3 molecule.

For the dot and cross, will the iodne have 10 electron in the outer orbital?
    And again, what is meant by 'sketch' the molecule?

Thanks for any help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popadom)
    Iodine forms the compounds with fluroine IF and IF3. The bonding in IF is the smae as in the halogen elements.

1. Sketch the I - F molecule to show its permanent dipole. Explain why the molecule has this polarity.

Any idea how I'm supposed to sketch this?
    Also, is it's dipole negative towards the F, because fluorine has a very high electronegativity?
    Just draw the I - F and then draw and electron cloud around it to represent the polarity. So because the fluorine is more electronegative, more of the electron cloud will be around the fluorine atom.
    For the second bit, yeah it's because fluorine is very electronegative and iodine isn't particularly electronegative; creating a dipole.

2. Draw a dot and cross diagram for IF3. Sketch the shape of the IF3 molecule.

For the dot and cross, will the iodne have 10 electron in the outer orbital?
    And again, what is meant by 'sketch' the molecule?
    Sketch means draw. So just draw it out....

It won't have 10 in the outer orbital.
    It will be an iodine atom bonded to three fluorine atoms, but it will have two lone pairs of electrons.

Think about the number of electrons in the outer orbital of the iodine atom (7) and then the three fluorine atoms forming covalent (sharing electrons) bonds with the iodine atom, then the remaining electrons.

If you're still stuck I'll go into it more because I haven't explained that as well as I could have...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Just draw the I - F and then draw and electron cloud around it to represent the polarity.
    Electron cloud? :confused:

Sketch means draw. So just draw it out....
    Yes, but does it mean draw it like the basic shapes, (with wedges and dotted lines etc), or draw it like it actually is, like: http://content.answers.com/main/cont...ide-3D-vdW.png

It won't have 10 in the outer orbital.
    It will be an iodine atom bonded to three fluorine atoms, but it will have two lone pairs of electrons.
    Yeah that's what I meant. It'll have two lone pairs, then 3 pairs that are sharing, (10 electrons in total).

Thanks for the reply =)

ReputationRep:
    Electron cloud? :confused:
    < I-F ) is the best way I can draw it considering the resources available :o:

Draw a pear shape representing the electons round the molecule. There will be more electrons around the fluorine atom because it's more electronegative, so the thicker end of the pear shape will be surrounding the fluorine atom, and the thinner end of the pear shape around the ioding atom.

That's the best way I can describe it... Really could do with drawing it out.

Yes, but does it mean draw it like the basic shapes, (with wedges and dotted lines etc), or draw it like it actually is, like: http://content.answers.com/main/cont...ide-3D-vdW.png
    Basic dot and cross sketch is the way to go

Yeah that's what I meant. It'll have two lone pairs, then 3 pairs that are sharing, (10 electrons in total).
    Well it isn't just the iodine outer orbital, because it's the iodine outer orbital plus three fluorine outer orbitals.

ReputationRep:
    It's okay, I get what you mean!

And thanks a lot for all the help =)

ReputationRep:
    Basic dot and cross sketch is the way to go
    But it's already asked me to draw a dot and cross, it then says to sketch the shape.

ReputationRep:
    But it's already asked me to draw a dot and cross, it then says to sketch the shape.
    Ahh right yeah. Then it's like a T shape. Don't draw the lone pairs then...

ReputationRep:
    Okies, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    No problemo

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.