Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my final year studying philosophy and theology at the University of Nottingham and I am predicted to graduate with a First or high 2:1. I'm also hoping to go on to do a GDL conversion course in law at Nottingham law school next year. However, during my entire secondary school education I suffered from illness and was subsequently able to complete just three GCSEs at a technical college before going on to do a BTEC National Diploma followed by completing an accelerated 'fast track' A-level programme in just one year. I have three B grades at A-Level including English and Modern History at a college where its average grade falls well below the national average.

My question is that given these mitigating circumstances, do I have a realistic chance of getting a training contract with any of the top commercial law firms? And does anybody know of any firms that are perhaps more sympathetic of such mitigating circumstances?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Although it might not be much direct help, I'd say the best approach would be to email some graduate recruitment teams at the firms you would consider (details are usually pretty easy to track down on their websites) and run it by them. It may even be better to ring as you can try and pin them a bit.

Personally, I'd say your degree shows more than enough potential but then I dont really agree with all this "320 UCAS points and nothing else" rubbish that pervades the sector. Nevertheless, needs must.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.