Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Higgy90)
    because we need people in those jobs as well....? whats the point in EVERYBODY having a "degree" in media/film editing or whatever when there are so few jobs?
    Equally because 'EVERYBODY' as you put it has a degree nowadays then to not have one would put one at a severe disadvantage when it comes to jobs.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    When I applied a few years ago I got an offer from Carmarthen for EE.

ReputationRep:
    Chester? One of my best mates does like sports science or something there and got awful a levels, missed his offer and still got in.

ReputationRep:
    Lol @ Swansea met.

EE for a degree? Surely not?

ReputationRep:
    whats the point in EVERYBODY having a "degree" in media/film editing or whatever when there are so few jobs?
    This is slight hyperbole: it's still true that the majority of students choose not to go to university each year. Don't panic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anabolicator)
    I never came across one, even the one in the 40-60s want some B to C's...
    TVU or Bath Spa for a foundation degree.

ReputationRep:
    because we need people in those jobs as well....? whats the point in EVERYBODY having a "degree" in media/film editing or whatever when there are so few jobs?

well then why dont you get a job if your so worried?? dont be so patronising,just because someone got DDD doesn't mean they're thick,and have as much right to go to uni as anyone if they want to

ReputationRep:
    Is there any point in going to a uni that will take you with such grades? Just accept that you're not an academic person and get a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Is there any point in going to a uni that will take you with such grades? Just accept that you're not an academic person and get a job.
    I got D's in my Gcse's ffs, yet I'm doing an MA! am I not an academic person?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    What about A-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alenax)
    What about A-Levels?
    CDE and C in General Studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    well then why dont you get a job if your so worried?? dont be so patronising,just because someone got DDD doesn't mean they're thick,and have as much right to go to uni as anyone if they want to
    im not worried about getting a job - im worried about getting a plumber if my pipes burst :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the emerging (and sensible, thank christ) consensus. Anything below CCC (which is fairly poor in itself, ain't it?) is simply not good enough for degree-level study. I've written many long posts on this topic, but the usual suspects persist in reeling off their pathertic, wooly-soft and demonstrably fallible arguments. I'll conclude simply by saying that if anybody is currently in University who had anything below CCC at A-Level, they don't deserve to be there. Period.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently not if you got Ds at GCSE, CDE at A level, and then attended DMU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LurkerintheDark)
    I agree with the emerging (and sensible, thank christ) consensus. Anything below CCC (which is fairly poor in itself, ain't it?) is simply not good enough for degree-level study. I've written many long posts on this topic, but the usual suspects persist in reeling off their pathertic, wooly-soft and demonstrably fallible arguments. I'll conclude simply by saying that if anybody is currently in University who had anything below CCC at A-Level, they don't deserve to be there. Period.
    I got CCDE :/ mmm from your post it seems like I don't deserve to be studying an MA at Nottingham Uni :/ maybe I should reconsider my PhD application

ReputationRep:
    Kingston Uni maybe, some universities are looking for people who only have 2 a levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Apparently not if you got Ds at GCSE, CDE at A level, and then attended DMU.
    You forgot to add University of Nottingham which I'm currently attending.

ReputationRep:
    You forgot to add University of Nottingham which I'm currently attending.
    That really doesn't impress me. What degree class did you get at DMU?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LurkerintheDark)
    Why don't they deserve to be there? If they want to go uni and get in debt with a poor academic record, so be it. Surely its up to them and i wouldnt waste my time 'writing long posts on this topic', as i couldnt care less, why do you?

ReputationRep:
    One third of the offers dished out by Christ's College, Cambridge are EE. Just in case you're interested. :p:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.