Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Chester lets people in with those kind of grades...

ReputationRep:
    i SMELL snobbss, TC just resit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by random321)
    that's still no excuse for DDE, i hated one of mine and got an A.....
    So I have wanted to go to uni since I was about 10 and got decent GCSE's, why should I have to give up what I want because I messed up my exams?

ReputationRep:
    Im at a DDD Uni. I did a BTEC but the vocational route doesn't realy exist anymore for the career I want(software development) so that wasn't an option.

Top or even mid range unis won't give people a chance if they don't meet the GCSE requirement regardless of UCAS points. I learn't this when Coventry and Birmingham city(both low) rejected me for their 240 ucas point courses and even a HND despite me being predicted 240. Turned out my predicted grade was miles off, and I ended up with 320 points(ABB) and only 1 offer from Wolverhampton for 180.

The course is challenging, and im doing well so im happy. We need low entry requirement unis to give people a chance when the systems this screwed up.

ReputationRep:
    Every week we have a thread berating the Universities that accept this or that, or against students who don't achieve straight As. One has to wonder what the people who actually care about these sorts of thing lack in their life that they are so concerned with Universities that they will never attend, with Students whom they feel are inferior to them because, frankly, it seems to be an obsession among some members on here.

Ultimately, it really doesn't matter. The "employability" records of some of these less distinguished Universities are pretty good. I think it irks some Students that, for their perceived hard work, superior University and 'better' degree, they have to suffer these plebs coming out of University and getting decent jobs as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Well said. That point about students underachieving is one I get tired of making.

Every year people will achieve modest grades (say CCD-DDD) at A-level. It doesn't mean that, in all cases, they are "thick" but were, instead, dealt a rough deal. Students may have personal problems, health problems, undiagnosed learning difficulties or may come from a poor school.

It's quite sickening that people are so quick to judge people they don't even know just because of a few letters.
    I was going to say soemthing very similar to this. If I don't get the grades or offers from the unis I want I am going to do a science foundation year and apply again. My school is probably the worst place I could have done my A levels but I had no choice due to distance and as a result I'm finding it hard to get the support I need from teachers as they'd rather yell at me for petty things like the way I dress rather than help me with my studies, added to little things like having stupid comments made at me from lower years and having better friends out of school than in. I also suspect I am dyspraxic (which was picked up upon in year 4 but swept under the carpet) and yet I have had no help with my handwriting or anything. I'm predicted CCC and got BCC at AS level.

Wow that was a ramble, but I would suggest doing a foundation year.

ReputationRep:
    DDD is pretty much a fail in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm well people who get DDD-EEE are still at an advantage (in a job) to those who have no further education.

But I do have to agree, it would be better of getting a job and learning a trade whilst making some money, than IMO "wasting" the years doing a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirsty142)
    So I have wanted to go to uni since I was about 10 and got decent GCSE's, why should I have to give up what I want because I messed up my exams?
    uhm you have to earn the right to get into a good uni, by earning good grades, if you messed up your exam because of problems then fair enough, do your best, maybe retake to show your potential (which can all be written by your reference) but if you just didnt like your school thats a bit :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirsty142)
    i never said you should not go to university, all i said was that not liking your subjects is not an excuse of getting DDE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Zeuss™)
    Getting DDD-EEE surely shows academia isn't for you, so why waste your time going to university. You'd be much better off getting a job and getting experience.
    There are quite a fair amount of people I know who cannot write an undergraduate essay to save their life despite going to a top school with spanking GCSEs and 'A' levels, many of whom are attending university for the sole purpose of financial advancement. Perhaps they can bugger off as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBrightShadow)
    uhm you have to earn the right to get into a good uni, by earning good grades, if you messed up your exam because of problems then fair enough, do your best, maybe retake to show your potential (which can all be written by your reference) but if you just didnt like your school thats a bit :o:
    Thank you It wasn't just the school btw

ReputationRep:
    Some people just aren't cut out to be academic geniuses, and there should be nothing wrong with that - its like criticising people's athletic abilities because they're not Olympic medalists.

The important thing is worthwhile use of time. Stay off the pole, avoid retail outlets and use your strengths. IMO, HND is an awesome route - or perhaps a college course in something.

ReputationRep:
    very much not worth the money going. get a trade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Roboto)
    Some people just aren't cut out to be academic geniuses, and there should be nothing wrong with that - its like criticising people's athletic abilities because they're not Olympic medalists.

The important thing is worthwhile use of time. Stay off the pole, avoid retail outlets and use your strengths. IMO, HND is an awesome route - or perhaps a college course in something.
    anyone who goes to a redbrick uni is not necessarily an academic genius

ReputationRep:
    I got CCc at A-Level due to: things happening at home and with myself. I started a job to be a trainee manager with Dorothy Perkins, spent the nights researching university courses and quit 2 weeks in.

Just because my a-levels are low, and there's not even three of them, it doesn't mean I should go straight into a job. Things happen outside of your control, even with yourself, you could even just make a mistake and get yourself in gear to redo them. I decided not to go back to college and to apply for Psychology with a foundation year. I don't know how many offers I will get but it's worth a shot I guess. And if it doesn't work out then I will be going back to college and getting the grades I can actually obtain.

I was predicted 3 A's when I started college, it's just a shame I let my work suffer and circumstances were taken out of my control.

Oh and for ANYONE thinking of starting a trainee scheme post A-Level, there are some really good ones around. The Arcadia one is brilliant, just make sure you really do want to start work at that point in your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    There are quite a fair amount of people I know who cannot write an undergraduate essay to save their life despite going to a top school with spanking GCSEs and 'A' levels, many of whom are attending university for the sole purpose of financial advancement. Perhaps they can bugger off as well.
    Hey that's unfair! I can't write essays! (I study physics :P)

ReputationRep:
    u know what? depending on wat course u wanna do theres still a chance for you to get into a decent uni or not decent but not as the worse of the worse, just do enough research. e.g. most courses at roehampton accepts 120 - 200 ucas points, and roehampton is something like 77 - 86 in the league table.

Also for city university check this out

http://www.city.ac.uk/study/courses/...ngbscbeng.html

to do the Bsc for this course only needs DDD 180 UCAS

DDD = 180 EEE = 120, also many unis do foundation yrs wich require very little points i.e. 80 ucas

To do computing at birmingham city which is a pretty decent uni in my opinion only needs 160 ucas so its not the end of the world for u

getting a degree frm any uni is better than not even having one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .:Gamble:.)
    relevant to the topic because..
    Sorry I posted it before I had finished writing, see revised version.

ReputationRep:
    circle jerk itt

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.