Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    just because someone got DDD doesn't mean they're thick
    Ahahahahhahahahahhahahhaha.

Lol.

(Original post by INTit)
    Im at a DDD Uni. I did a BTEC but the vocational route doesn't realy exist anymore for the career I want(software development) so that wasn't an option.

Top or even mid range unis won't give people a chance if they don't meet the GCSE requirement regardless of UCAS points. I learn't this when Coventry and Birmingham city(both low) rejected me for their 240 ucas point courses and even a HND despite me being predicted 240. Turned out my predicted grade was miles off, and I ended up with 320 points(ABB) and only 1 offer from Wolverhampton for 180.

The course is challenging, and im doing well so im happy. We need low entry requirement unis to give people a chance when the systems this screwed up.
    EH?

Why didn't you take a gap year and reapply? You could have had much higher offers then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mateyface)
    Hey that's unfair! I can't write essays! (I study physics :P)
    That's quite common for scientists though. I've had too many lectures on my course who stress on how to reference and the such and I felt I was being pulled back by people, more often than not they have higher grades than myself, but stumble when it comes to the degree.

I know there will be a required standard for many courses, such as maths at Cambridge will undoubtedly require high standards but for social sciences and the humanities I think this is less of a case. They should change the style of 'A' levels so you study similarly to degree standard, like with avoiding plagiarism and referencing. That will sort out the men from the boys.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by LukeatForest)
    Every week we have a thread berating the Universities that accept this or that, or against students who don't achieve straight As. One has to wonder what the people who actually care about these sorts of thing lack in their life that they are so concerned with Universities that they will never attend, with Students whom they feel are inferior to them because, frankly, it seems to be an obsession among some members on here.

Ultimately, it really doesn't matter. The "employability" records of some of these less distinguished Universities are pretty good. I think it irks some Students that, for their perceived hard work, superior University and 'better' degree, they have to suffer these plebs coming out of University and getting decent jobs as well.
    :ditto:
    Sometimes I get the impression that those people actually feel threatened by and/or jealous of people who got "bad" grades and went on to "bad" universities to do courses (and ultimately get jobs) which they themselves wouldn't be interested in. What I can't quite understand about that, though, is that they're not even likely ever to be competing for the same jobs, so it's not like there's an actual reason to feel threatened...:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    There are quite a fair amount of people I know who cannot write an undergraduate essay to save their life despite going to a top school with spanking GCSEs and 'A' levels, many of whom are attending university for the sole purpose of financial advancement. Perhaps they can bugger off as well.
    Hopefully they will :p: Only kidding :ninja: But it sort of ties in with my next soapbox rant.

People are quick to judge someone who performs "poorly" in their A-levels and call him or her thick. There are some people who achieve these grades and, yes, probably aren't up to university study. There are some who do perform poorly and, as I've already mentioned, have mitigating circumstances. However, there's also a third set of students who just don't flourish at school. They may not do so until they're at uni, studying something they feel passionate about and, yes, there are worthwhile courses at ex-polys and "the lower" unis.

There are students who coast through their studies, gaining As and A*s throughout, then get to uni and just don't have the maturity required for university study or are ill prepared. It does happen and it's no good having the intelligence if you don't have the maturity and can't cope with the demands of university study. In the end they drop out and are in worse position than many of those who acheived three Ds.

I'm do empathise with those who have underperformed during their A-levels. I suffered from some quite significant health and personal issues during my A-levels and underperformed. Yes, I was still able to achieve three Bs (well below my potential, but still good grades) and, after a battle, got into my first choice uni. However, I was lucky. I was at a good school and also came from a comfortable background with a fairly supportive family (even if things were strained at the time). If I didn't have this then I could so easily have suffered even more of a breakdown and scraped three Ds. It can happen to a person of any intelligence level if their personal circumstances are so rubbish.

I know I've said this before and I do realise I'm probably coming off as a bit preachy, but I've already had to deal with a few members calling people they don't even know as being "thick" or just making silly posts. I will not tolerate it.

ReputationRep:
    EEE?
    So you basically managed to write your name correctly on the front of the paper?
    I don't doubt there are uni's that accept all manner of cack grades - why wouldn't they? You're paying them for the privilege of being there. It's all money in their pockets.

ReputationRep:
    It's rubbish to say people who get DDD-EEE don't ''deserve'' to be at uni; some have mitigating circumstances or just didn't do as well as they could have etc at A-levels. Some people just don't thrive as well in academic areas, doesn't mean they don't try.

However, if you did struggle at A-level, perhaps it's tellling you University isn't for you? The workload is hard and you may struggle.. but some people prefer and work better at University because it's a different style of learning/working, you never know.

If you want to go, then go. Everyone should be allowed the oppurtunity IMO. And they'll be applying for ''bottom rank'' uni's anyway, so it isn't as though they'll be taking the place of anyone here .

(Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    It's rubbish to say people who get DDD-EEE don't ''deserve'' to be at uni; some have mitigating circumstances or just didn't do as well as they could have etc at A-levels. Some people just don't thrive as well in academic areas, doesn't mean they don't try.

However, if you did struggle at A-level, perhaps it's tellling you University isn't for you? The workload is hard and you may struggle.. but some people prefer and work better at University because it's a different style of learning/working, you never know.

If you want to go, then go. Everyone should be allowed the oppurtunity IMO. And they'll be applying for ''bottom rank'' uni's anyway, so it isn't as though they'll be taking the place of anyone here .
    This is a fair point.

However, I think that rather than going to university with the less than mediocre results - the person or OP/ whatever the person - should go and take a foundation year degree or a HND or a Intensive year program at a private school/ or a state school that is willing to take them on.:yep:

These are far more sucessful options rather than going to take an undergrad course, gettting into debt and/or dropping out and thus wasting your time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBrightShadow)
    anyone who goes to a redbrick uni is not necessarily an academic genius
    Too true. But still, some people aren't up to making the grade to get into a degree which is likely to be lucrative in the long run...

As a prospective medic, I would expect nothing less that AAAa to be the offer for anyone who gains a place over me... since it is a SOLID course.

But having had a good look around our local university, I can conclude that I could have easy got a 2.1 at the age of 11 in some of these subjects. And besides the subject matter might play more into the strengths of the student than those covered in the A-level spectrum...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Hopefully they will :p: Only kidding :ninja: But it sort of ties in with my next soapbox rant.
    I do wonder, though, how the shift in students' purpose for education is affecting the standards and spirit of higher education in general? Every time I speak to my lecturers who realise I did some advanced reading during the summer holidays and other such activities seem so overjoyed that I'm surprised I haven't been given a huge hug yet. I'm guessing it's the 'generation gap' as my lecturers went for more focus on education rather than 'employment' purposes.

When my college tutor asked about me with internships/graduate schemes I was not amused. I think the universities themselves are helping shape students' purpose of attending university. Of course, there are degrees that focus on the job market but there are courses out there which originally didn't and are suffering because of it.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    tbh most unis with a foundation year will take anything. my brother went to kingston (got CEE i believe) to do civil eng and he got onto a good graduate scheme and is doing quite well for himself.

i do agree that people that get EEE and do something non-science related like media should proberly go into the job sector but thats just me.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=-WhySoSerious?]Ahahahahhahahahahhahahhaha.

[QUOTE]

oh get over yourself ,i got three D's in my ""a levels""" because i didnt study /couldnt study but I really wanted to go to ""uni"" to study vet. medicine and i did an entrance exam and got in!!

let me guess yyou go to a ""london" uni thats why your so full of it,? let m guess you wear a trench coat aswell?

people who got DDD have exactly the same right as YOU to go to uni if THEY WANT TO.

ReputationRep:
    Emmanuel College, Cambridge offers 1/3 of offers at EE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Zeuss™)
    Getting DDD-EEE surely shows academia isn't for you, so why waste your time going to university. You'd be much better off getting a job and getting experience.
    Plenty of people do alot better at uni than at school, and vice versa. Some find the greater independance of uni is far better for thier learning.

(Original post by bansheeee*)
    oh get over yourself ,i got three D's in my ""a levels""" because i didnt study /couldnt study but I really wanted to go to ""uni"" to study vet. medicine and i did an entrance exam and got in!!

let me guess yyou go to a ""london" uni thats why your so full of it,? let m guess you wear a trench coat aswell?

people who got DDD have exactly the same right as YOU to go to uni if THEY WANT TO.
    Plenty of London unis that don't make you full of it - I doubt people from LSB would gloat.

Also, I know many people with trench coats who got D's and E's in all thier GCSE's

This has no social factor to it.

ReputationRep:
    try liverpool hope

or oxford brookes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nemesis24)
    tbh most unis with a foundation year will take anything. my brother went to kingston (got CEE i believe) to do civil eng and he got onto a good graduate scheme and is doing quite well for himself.

i do agree that people that get EEE and do something non-science related like media should proberly go into the job sector but thats just me.
    Good for him Do you know how much he earns?

ReputationRep:
    A point that I don't think has been made yet is that A-Levels aren't a good discriminator for some subjects, and aren't a perfect discriminator for pretty much all (although if you got straight As, I can understand why you'd want to dispute that!). The most obvious examples are things like art and design, costume or film courses, where actually, the skills required to pass A-Levels and the skills required on the course don't overlap strongly. It's likely more reliable to base offers in these subjects on evidence of motivation and skill such as work experience, or a portfolio of work already produced. As such, A-Level requirements for these courses can be understandably low, and I don't think there's a problem with that. The courses still produce excellent quality work and graduates who are employable (well, considering the nature of the industry!), you just need to visit a graduate show to see that. On these courses, I see no problem with offers as low as three dees.

And of course, I agree wholeheartedly with the disruption and learning style points argued so eloquently above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin J)
    Boo-hoo. With a story like that mate, go apply for X-Factor.
    Thanks for the advice, but I'll stick to the day job.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite DDD, but I had an offer of CCC from Bristol for Mech Eng. I was then a bit of an idiot, spent too much time on my tech project and got BBD and didn't get my place! The other problem was that I didn't have an insurance offer, as Bristol was my lowest (they were expecting and I was predicted AAA).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.