Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Roboto)
    Good for him Do you know how much he earns?
    yeah hes on around £27000 at 25 + considering hes on his way to becoming a chartered civil eng hes not doing too badly. its safe to say i actually hate him, hes got a better car, stunning gf and a flat that would make you cry! o well i got the looks of the family so

but back on topic its good if you get straight A's but to say that people getting DDD/EEE shouldnt go to uni is just plane stupid, i mean had he (my bro) left education then i can bet he would have not got the same ops hes getting now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WOLLSMOTH)
    There is no point studying at any university that range.

A degree isn't required to stack shelves.

:eek: You're back!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poossum)
    Emmanuel College, Cambridge offers 1/3 of offers at EE
    No, I believe you're thinking about Christ's College.
    But it's the thought that counts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nemesis24)
    tbh most unis with a foundation year will take anything. my brother went to kingston (got CEE i believe) to do civil eng and he got onto a good graduate scheme and is doing quite well for himself.

i do agree that people that get EEE and do something non-science related like media should proberly go into the job sector but thats just me.
    bristol uni offers foundation year

ReputationRep:
    im sorry but in this day and age when you go for a job interview its "hello there, what degree do you have?" even if its from a "less rep" uni a degrees a degree, perhaps in fields like business where there seems to be a high percentage of people graduating with a degree in business management the employer may ask where you went.

to say you shouldnt go to a uni if you get bad Alevels is just stupid and it seems like the people that go imperial or oxford are the ones heading up that front because they want to keep telling everyone how their achievements are greater then others, and how special they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBrightShadow)
    bristol uni offers foundation year
    thats my point, people say that if u get DDD/EEE you go to a worse uni and therefore should go into jobs after alevels but i just want to point out that good unis have low grade boundaries for their foundation course so in teh long run employers wont care that u got bad aleves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Nonsense, it's attitudes like this which lead to class divides.
    What the?! The main thing which is putting me off even bothering going to an interview with Oxford is the fact that less than 12% of its students are working class -- because I am working class, and my father's pay could be reduced to minimum wage by the end of the year. Expecting that only the scholastically capable go to university has nothing to do with class at all, 'Democracy'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LurkerintheDark)
    Expecting that only the scholastically capable go to university has nothing to do with class at all, 'Democracy'.
    But this is the point. Who are you to judge who's "scholasically capable"? Under performance, poor schools and the fact that, for some people, a school environment or subjects may not suit them but uni environment/subjects do (and, once there, they flourish).

It should ultimately come down to the individual. If you ever come across someone who you don't think is academically capable then inform them of the alternatives, express your concerns. However, the final decision must by theirs. If the suceed (and many do) great, if not then they are the ones left with the small amount of debt.

I don't expect anyone to judge a person's intelligence and academic commitment when they are nothing but a stranger on an Internet forum and ignorant of far too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    Ahahahahhahahahahhahahhaha.

Why didn't you take a gap year and reapply? You could have had much higher offers then!
    Was already 20 when I started uni, not bothered enough about prestige to put it off for yet another year and the course looked good.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the emerging (and sensible, thank christ) consensus. Anything below CCC (which is fairly poor in itself, ain't it?) is simply not good enough for degree-level study. I've written many long posts on this topic, but the usual suspects persist in reeling off their pathertic, wooly-soft and demonstrably fallible arguments. I'll conclude simply by saying that if anybody is currently in University who had anything below CCC at A-Level, they don't deserve to be there. Period.

My brother got DDDE at A level and he's a qualified Vet now,studying research at QMUL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stricof)
    Plenty of London unis that don't make you full of it - I doubt people from LSB would gloat.

Also, I know many people with trench coats who got D's and E's in all thier GCSE's

This has no social factor to it.

Whats wrong with LSb ?? i really hate how some people think they are above everyone else !!1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    My brother got DDDE at A level and he's a qualified Vet now,studying research at QMUL
    My brother got AAA at A level, and ...oh wait he's at Warwick. My bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    But this is the point. Who are you to judge who's "scholasically capable"? Under performance, poor schools and the fact that, for some people, a school environment or subjects may not suit them but uni environment/subjects do (and, once there, they flourish).

It should ultimately come down to the individual. If you ever come across someone who you don't think is academically capable then inform them of the alternatives, express your concerns. However, the final decision must by theirs. If the suceed (and many do) great, if not then they are the ones left with the small amount of debt.

I don't expect anyone to judge a person's intelligence and academic commitment when they are nothing but a stranger on an Internet forum and ignorant of far too much.
    No, I just don't accept all this waffling. Bottom line: if you're not good enough to get a pretty modest CCC +, then how on earth could you cope with even more advanced study? If academic no-hopers didn't clog up our HE system in the first place, maybe the fees we have to contend with would be covered by the tax-payer instead. You know it makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CescvanRaikkonen)
    My brother got AAA at A level, and ...oh wait he's at Warwick. My bad.

what do you mean:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Well the ironic thing of all is that there has been an individual who earned DDE and they went to Oxford?

(by the way, I'm talking ****)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    what do you mean:confused:
    Just messing around really lmao. Yes i'm bored.

Ok back on topic. A fair few unis accept DDD-EEE, you'd probably get into Wolverhampton with GCSE's.

Although it'd be hard to get on jobs that pay £30k-45k a year straight away though, which is what a grad from a top 10 uni with a solid degree would get after they graduated.

[cartman] hippies...hippies all around me!! they say they wanna protect the earth, but all they do is sit around and smoke pot! [/cartman]

ReputationRep:
    No, I just don't accept all this waffling. Bottom line: if you're not good enough to get a pretty modest CCC +, then how on earth could you cope with even more advanced study? If academic no-hopers didn't clog up our HE system in the first place, maybe the fees we have to contend with would be covered by the tax-payer instead. You know it makes sense!
    Well aren't you lucky for going to a good school (I'm assuming you did). If you didn't then surely you'll be aware that there are some really, really terrible ones out there.

If you're applying to Oxford, I'm guessing you must be bright enough to realise people can be at a significant disadvantage when at a very poor school (where A grades are unheard of) or facing significant mitigating circumstances. Even some of the most intelligent students, who will be AAA students in normal circumstances, can struggle gettings Cs or above. Why is that so hard to see?

But if you want to go around with a superiority complex and write off anyone who doesn't meet your "ideal student" view as a "no hoper" then go ahead. I'm sure some of these "no hopers" will prove you wrong someday. Although you haven't listened to success stories in this thread.

ReputationRep:

considering most of the revising for a levels requires learning stuff off by heart i wouldn't say you are a 'no hoper' if you dont get AAA you just didn't study as much , it doesn't take a genuis to learn a book by heart and get AAA,I got 3 d's and i'm in second year now of vet med.

ReputationRep:
    Cant you just wait until clearing and if you're really quick still get a decent choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CescvanRaikkonen)
    Just messing around really lmao. Yes i'm bored.

Ok back on topic. A fair few unis accept DDD-EEE, you'd probably get into Wolverhampton with GCSE's.

Although it'd be hard to get on jobs that pay £30k-45k a year straight away though, which is what a grad from a top 10 uni with a solid degree would get after they graduated.

[cartman] hippies...hippies all around me!! they say they wanna protect the earth, but all they do is sit around and smoke pot! [/cartman]
    well i meant he WORKs at qmul with research he got his vet degree at TCD dublin..
    ye money isn't everything ,when i get my veterinary degree i'm gonna live in a flat in east london working for peta for practically NO money

ugggggghhhh i hate snobs,particularly university ones. get over yourself

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.