Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LurkerintheDark)
    going to an interview with Oxford i.
    id learn how to spell first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    No, I believe you're thinking about Christ's College.
    But it's the thought that counts.
    I really don't think that you need to be so bloody pedantic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    well i meant he WORKs at qmul with research he got his vet degree at TCD dublin..
    ye money isn't everything ,when i get my veterinary degree i'm gonna live in a flat in east london working for peta for practically NO money

ugggggghhhh i hate snobs,particularly university ones. get over yourself
    God, nothing worse than a tree hugger/bummer. Goddamm hippies.

ReputationRep:
    i have to ask the question, people say whats the point of getting a degree from a "lesser" uni but are you telling me if a person graduates from a uni with a degree that happens to have a shortage of employee would reject you on the grounds you have crap alevels?

im studying civil eng and from what i've been told theres somewhat a shortage of engineers in this country, when i was looking at placements people that went to "lesser" unis because they got low alevel grades got the place ahead of me, why? because the company saw a degree and saw the person behind the degree and that my friends is what really matters.

a degree (no matter from where) is still a degree, most jobs dont ask for alevels but a 1st or 2:1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CescvanRaikkonen)
    God, nothing worse than a tree hugger/bummer. Goddamm hippies.

there is such a thing as 'working for good causes' ,instead of working to earn loads of money to probably ruin the environment further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    there is such a thing as 'working for good causes' ,instead of working to earn loads of money to probably ruin the environment further.
    Right, we could all work for PETA and live in 1 bedroom flats, better still why bother with heating in the winter we can all wear really really thick coats. Maybe we could get some made out of fur

At the end of the day, screw the good causes. Hippies all around me!:woo:

:yep:

ReputationRep:
    lol, don't be dicks. bansheee is right - working for a good cause is a worthwhile pursuit...

I'm no hippy, by there's nothing I hate more than corporate fat cats, and people who fuel their greedy pockets. Whilst I don't think caring for the environment should hold you back, its something everyone needs to think deeply about if we want to preserve the livelihood of our children...

Nobody asked anybody to stop buying heating...

Back on topic...

Like I said, academics isn't everyone's forte - don't be a **** and suggest that someone who can't get a few B's and C's shouldn't be allowed to study. Foundation courses are your friends...

ReputationRep:
    Expecting that only the scholastically capable go to university has nothing to do with class at all, 'Democracy'.
    It has everything to do with it. You are restricting good job oppurtunities and the other perks of a university education to only a top elite.

ReputationRep:
    PETA is not a good cause.

ReputationRep:
    BCU (Birmingham City University) accept horribly low grades because they appeal to the lowest common denominator of society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    BCU (Birmingham City University) accept horribly low grades because they appeal to the lowest common denominator of society.
    One of my politics lecturers (at Durham) did his Bachelor degree there back when it was still a polytechnic. He's not doing too badly.

ReputationRep:
    wolvers or some media degrees

ReputationRep:
    I got ACD and I'm doing Law, and have received full marks for the first assignment this year. But my Universirty isn't one of these 'top' ones so therefore I'm going to be a failure in life and should automatically assume 'working class' status.

Some of you lot are real snobs in here! What's wrong with 'working class' my Dad worked his ass off for 30+ years in an engineering firm doing all the overtime he could get to fund my families upbringing, he's 100 times more admirable than you dicks with your poxy degree's looking down on everyone. We'll see if you can match his now highly deserved £100,000+ salary when you reach your peak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    One of my politics lecturers (at Durham) did his Bachelor degree there back when it was still a polytechnic. He's not doing too badly.
    Well, it's possible to go anywhere and still do well, it's all dependant on the individual imo. It's just that most people who go to UCE/BCU are there now because they have low grades. :p:

ReputationRep:
    My god what a lot of snobs on this board

ReputationRep:
    No, I just don't accept all this waffling. Bottom line: if you're not good enough to get a pretty modest CCC +, then how on earth could you cope with even more advanced study? If academic no-hopers didn't clog up our HE system in the first place, maybe the fees we have to contend with would be covered by the tax-payer instead. You know it makes sense!
    Academic no-hopers can have high grades too because they don't know how to avoid plagiarism and cite Wikipedia in in-text citations! *shudders*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Academic no-hopers can have high grades too because they don't know how to avoid plagiarism and cite Wikipedia in in-text citations! *shudders*
    :laugh: That happened in my second year. One of the philosophy lecturers sent an email around, telling people not to cite wikipedia in an academic essay :rolleyes: I was quite shocked students were doing this (yes, I'm naive). Anyway, these were straight A and probably privately educated students.

ReputationRep:
    Do not exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    :laugh: That happened in my second year. One of the philosophy lecturers sent an email around, telling people not to cite wikipedia in an academic essay :rolleyes: I was quite shocked students were doing this (yes, I'm naive). Anyway, these were straight A and probably privately educated students.
    I wouldn't mind but we have plenty of journals which are readily available online and you can download them as PDFs for offline viewing. It's damn laziness. I don't object to secondary school and some FE college students using Wikipedia as they do not have the resources that university students have.

Every student worth their weight in salt will brush up on essay writing, referencing and avoiding plagiarism before commencing their studies. You might not know how to reference completely, especially if you use a range of different sources and may have to refer to a guide, but at least knowing the basics first will be a good start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    Do not exist.
    Stone the crows! That UCAS Big Guide's a liar, then.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.