The Student Room Group

Should school start later in the morning?

Poll

Should school start later in the morning?

Research says teenagers need more sleep (about 9.5hrs per night) and a circadian rhythm shift means they also sleep later (often not falling asleep until at least 11pm) - so should school start later in the morning?

The US state of California just passed a law which means that high schools have to start classes after 8.30am, and middle schools have to start after 8am to reach better outcomes for students.

Apparently teenagers spend less time in 'stage two sleep' because this happens in the later sleep phase, and there's been some research that more sleep (ie. later school start times) could help reduce illness rates, improve cognitive function and potentially...grades?

Seems like the grades part is a bit murky, but it definitely seems like there could be some benefits.

What do you reckon?
I think 9 as an earliest start time would be good :smile:

When I went to school, I always felt rushed to get out of the door in the morning. I was always still tired when I woke up, and that left me in a bad mood. I’m homeschooled now and can wake up whenever I want - it’s definitely made a difference for me, at least to my mental health if nothing else :smile:
But the policymakers would have a lot of consideration beyond the growth and development of kids, such as traffic management, convenience for adults... um... frustrated. :unsure:
Sounds unworkable really unless you want to move everyone's schedule.
No, because then school would end later, which likely means less time for after school activities, and just means teachers end up working even later into the night marking and planning etc.
Original post by BlinkyBill
Research says teenagers need more sleep (about 9.5hrs per night) and a circadian rhythm shift means they also sleep later (often not falling asleep until at least 11pm) - so should school start later in the morning?

The US state of California just passed a law which means that high schools have to start classes after 8.30am, and middle schools have to start after 8am to reach better outcomes for students.

Apparently teenagers spend less time in 'stage two sleep' because this happens in the later sleep phase, and there's been some research that more sleep (ie. later school start times) could help reduce illness rates, improve cognitive function and potentially...grades?

Seems like the grades part is a bit murky, but it definitely seems like there could be some benefits.

What do you reckon?

I couldnt care less about california all a buch of lazy yanks. When I was home-schooling my boys my hubby and I would would hake them up with and old fire hose from the local station (one time it ruptured Montgomeries hernia :tongue:) bright up and early AT 4:30 SHARP.
Early to bed and early to rise makes you healthy wealthy and wise :colonhash:
Reply 6
I find the "yes - after 8" option a little weird, because in my experience, the school day at both my primary and secondary school (and most other British schools that I know of) began at 8:45 with lessons beginning at 9. I believe in some countries such as the US, the school day typically starts earlier at about 7:30 to 8 but finishes earlier at about 2 in the afternoon.
Original post by BlinkyBill

What do you reckon?

I would say to start earlier but then after awhile i would think that that time is early want it pushed even further back. I think 8 is reasonable enough. I wouldn't want school to end later too. I think its a perfect time to start and finish. I just need to go to bed earlier so i fall asleep quicker - thats not the schools systems fault, thats mine. Am i gonna do something about it? No, of course not :smile:

I dont really think it would help grades, well that could just be my thinking. We have the same amount of hours in each day, im gonna get tired when i get home from school, i'll be tired to revise. I'm gonna be tired when i wake up, because i just woke up.

If students are struggling with sleeping(unless they have a mental disorder) then maybe they just need to change of of their lifestyle choices, it can fixed for some.
(edited 1 year ago)
After 9 a.m is fine for the older students to adapt their changed circadian rhythm. The first lesson can be started at quarter-past nine.
Why not just sleep earlier? Shifting things along in time won't help a huge deal. It's most beneficial to learn to adapt yourself to the current circumstances, as this will improve your mental health in the long run. Change can be positive, but until then, you don't want to suffer, do you?
Original post by JohnDahmer1
Why not just sleep earlier? Shifting things along in time won't help a huge deal. It's most beneficial to learn to adapt yourself to the current circumstances, as this will improve your mental health in the long run. Change can be positive, but until then, you don't want to suffer, do you?

The sleep cycle of teenagers is different from that of kids and adults. Yes, it can be made worse by staying up to extreme hours but it's not entirely their fault for being tired and waking up later.
Reply 11
In HK the school day is 8-4, so the average HK student spends 35-40 hours per week at school. However, the workload is tougher than most 9-5 jobs, and students usually work until very late at night, especially in their last three years of secondary school. Most students study >10 hours per day during study leave.
Since I started uni, the earliest class starts at 9. I was like “Wow! No more early starts anymore!”

So I think it will be good if schools start at 8 or earlier, such that it is easier to adapt to working life!

Teenagers have a different sleep cycle compared to kids. Even if teenagers go to bed earlier, it does not mean that they sleep earlier too.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Kallisto
Teenagers have a different sleep cycle compared to kids. Even if teenagers go to bed earlier, it does not mean that they sleep earlier too.

sleep cycles can adapt

if they didn't, if one went to Australia they'd be nocturnal until they flew back
sleep cycles can adapt

if they didn't, if one went to Australia they'd be nocturnal until they flew back

You are talking about young or even matured adults, that is a difference to teenagers. Their age range entails a big change due to the hormone system. Scientists found out that teenagers' sleep cycle is postponed hours forward thanks to the delayed hormone melatonine. It is not so easy for adolescents to adapt the cycle in no time. That is a matter of years!

source
Original post by Kallisto
You are talking about young or even matured adults, that is a difference to teenagers. Their age range entails a big change due to the hormone system. Scientists found out that teenagers' sleep cycle is postponed hours forward thanks to the delayed hormone melatonine. It is not so easy for adolescents to adapt the cycle in no time. That is a matter of years!

source

That's odd, never heard of that. I've never really had any issues like it before, but an interesting read indeed.
That's odd, never heard of that. I've never really had any issues like it before, but an interesting read indeed.

It is an important new fact more people need to know in order to understand what happen to teenagers sleep.
If they start later, they just finish later. Frankly they need to integrate well into parents work lives. 9.5 hours is probably not realistic

Id note the “research” shown here is a quote in an online webpage article, not a journal article or peer reviewed study, its an informed quote by a pediatrician but it’s not evidenced and this article is not necessarily representative of all pediatricians or experts on the area.
Bear in mind that university lectures start at 9.00 and run until 18.00 or later for some courses.
Although not necessarily on the same day.
When I was at school the day started at 8.30
When I was at 6th form the day started at 9.00 but I had a 90 minute bus/train/ train/ walk route.

If you shift the school day it can affect the working day for parents and teachers, shift rush hour and have consequences way beyond a stroppy teenager wanting extra Kip.
Face it, teenagers have worked to everyone’s hours for thousands of years.
Fancy arguing for an extra hour in bed while being a Victorian farm worker?
Reply 19
2c57810c9bfc41369a3d49cc605c6554.jpeg
I have a friend from Mainland China who told me that the life in HK is way less stressful. He told me that he was able to get WAY MORE REST than he was in high school. Just have a look at this high school timetable from China. The day starts at 6:10. I think most people from China think that work is less stressful than school, and they are able to adapt to working hours very quickly.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply