Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How have i never noticed this thread before?
    Anyway our lectures never get cancelled because of snow which is a shame, althought the other night came out of the club at 3am and the town was completely covered in untouched snow. I don't think i have ever been so happy lol took me and my friend an hour to walk home (usually 10 min) because we were determined to step in every bit of snow on thw way home . I have thereofre decided 3am is the optimum time for playing in the snow before it gets all slushed up!

Unfortunately no playing in the snow this weekend as I have an essay to write (on why socially monogamous female birds sleep around...those sneaky girls ) and a ton of spectrographic analysis on chick calls to do. Then i have to work out what stats to do on my results...i hate stats, tis all a bit of a mystery.

ReputationRep:
    Hey we were supposed to be attending AVS Congress this weekend but due to the snow and black ice our designated driver didnt want to risk it (rightfully so as well) Which is a shame but nevermind there is always next year.
    We went out for a meal last night to make up for it and we all had a really good time. So, because I'm in group 2 for dissections then, I have Monday and Tuesday off this coming week but I'll prolly be spending it working through genetics and structure of the dog forelimb. I've realised after our exams that I need to do more work at the start of the term, as last minute revision just isn't clever!
    We talked about this last night, how we all used to be top of the class without putting any effort in, but now are faced with clawing at mediocrity and Alex told us about one of her favourite quotes from Grey's anatomy.

Burke: I wasn't like you. I wasn't the most talented student in school, I wasn't the brightest. But I was the best.
    Cristina: You practiced.
    Burke: I practiced.

I think this is how I'm going to approach my degree from now on, I want to be the best vet that I can possible be and therefore I'm going to put those extra hours in until hopefully I achieve what I'm aiming for.

ReputationRep:
    what flo said, sorry I meant floob. yeah we have same lambing placment though I'm only there for 2weeks, and its 3miles from my house so I sleep in own bed yey!

ReputationRep:
    heh i just found this too. To give ye a brief outline, I'm a second year glasgow vet, very far from home (Devon!). Things seemed very alien to me when i moved up but now i feel very scottish (except for the accent but even that's changing!). Passed first year ok, quite high up in my class actually. Second year is realllly tough though. It's crazy. Lots of lectures pushed here there and everywhere.
    Not much snow to speak of recently to mess up lectures, just my own laziness... didnt get to thursday or friday lectures. Need to attend more really, but i do get a lot of valuable work done by missing the odd duff lecture! Got exams in March, but only worth 7%, and our finals are way more important, all second AND first year stuff. So its a balance between passing the march exams and revising hard for finals.
    Got lambing booked for 3weeks up here which also covers my last week of pigs since they have piggies and also goats yay. Then thats my EMS done !! woop woop. Bring on clinical.
    I realise this wasnt very day to day but now you know the basics, i'll bring on more news if anything exciting happens.

ReputationRep:
    my days been productive...or not.
    Got up around 2ish cause ive been needing way to much sleep this week for some unkonwn reason. cooked myself some lunch or rice and some peppers and pesto and stuff like that. watched 2 episodes of ER on 4OD. finaly started some work on respiration and am now gonna take a break and watch something else before doing the next 2 lectures...im a bit behind atm tbh. but its ok cause with mon and tuesday off i shall catch up on all the work from the last 2 weeks. and then i just have to keep on top of things again.
    I have a footy match tomorrow...as long as the astro dont freeze over. The vets team are playing medics A and the vet freshers are playing air squadren. i well hope we win. and i would quite like to hit the back of the net instead of the post as well.
    I got a bit bored earlier and copied my hands on my printer and then decided it actually looked quite cool and so stuck it up on my wall and stuck a load of photos and words around them.

I cant wait till lambing! ive not done proper lambing before! i worked at a rare breeds farm with around 100 sheep and was there at lambing and i did a few of the things like castrations and tail dockings etc but this is a massive farm with 2000 sheep. Lol ive never actually driven on a motorway before (cause the nearest is the m6 and its miles away so ive never needed to) but im driving me and my mate to wales for lambing and its mostly on motorways for the 5 hour drive.

ReputationRep:
    'If a lion could talk, we would not understand it.' Discuss.

I have noticed a general decline in the coherency of essay titles as the years have progressed. :confused:

I started behavioural ecology this term and my first essay title was "what is behavioural ecology?". There are whole books on this (several of which are written by the guy who set this essay) and I am supposed to condense it into 2 sides of A4. Joy.

ReputationRep:
    so, today I get a free lunch and meet Charles Kennedy and recieve my talent Scholarship, but all I really want to do is go sledging and have a snowball fight!!!! we also start our lamb care lectures in prep for easter lambing. But I really really want to go sledging!

ReputationRep:
    bex - have found the most amazing sledge... want to come back to murano after lectures and we can go sledging! You can see plenty in the dark so it doesnt really matter that it will be a bit later.

ReputationRep:
    WOOO! day off...so got up an hour ago..gonna do some washing, go swimming and then maybe some work later. but i have tomorrow for that as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday had LUVZS (Liverpool University Veterinary Zoological Society...phew bit of a mouthful) meeting. It was epic journey across the water into lands fraught with many U-turns, dark country roads and a faulty google maps route planner. We eventually arrived at persons house over an hour late! It was an experience to say the least but the driver did very well bless her. Never, and I mean never, trust route planner maps!!!!

ReputationRep:
    sat nav is a godsend! why was a LUVZS meeting across the water?
    edit: and i dont get quite the point of LUVZS when we have LUVS?

ReputationRep:
    I am a 1st year vet student, so if anyone wants to ask any questions, feel free!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vet.Storm)
    I am a 1st year vet student, so if anyone wants to ask any questions, feel free!
    Where do you study? :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Bristol - THE best vet school!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vet.Storm)
    Bristol - THE best vet school!
    Yayyy!!! I really want to know what it's like there! I most probably will be going there ;D

So how are you finding it? Unleash all info you find relevant, pleazle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dissey)
    Yayyy!!! I really want to know what it's like there! I most probably will be going there ;D

So how are you finding it? Unleash all info you find relevant, pleazle!

The course is fantastic - hands on experience right from the beginning of the course (better than a few other vet schools who i hear tend to have mostly lectures in the first term - my friend at the RVC said that she only recently started going out to the clinical campus!). Every thursday we go out to the clinical campus and have animal management lectures in the morning, then spend the afternoon doing vetty things like chasing sheep (my fav practical so far!). Also at the pre-clinical site in Southwell street there is a barn full of animals to play with, and you also have animal handling and sexing exams in the small furries. Dissection is superb, with four people to a dog. I may sound a tad bias, but i choose bristol after considering all other vet schools (i got offers from all four!) and i honestly love it. A word of warning though - the course is a lot of hard work. We recently had our exam results back, and a very large proportion of the year failed at least one exam. You have to be prepared to work hard, obviously enjoy yourself as well, but dont think its going to be easy! I dont know about other vet schools, but im sure its the same! If you have any other questions that you would like answered, preferably email me at [email protected] or you could post here (but i cant guarantee i will remember to check, so if you havent heard an answer, email me!)

ReputationRep:
    how is having 4 people to a dog better than other vet schools? you wouldnt exactly have more than 4, you wouldnt fit roundt the dog! we have 4 people to the dog also, we go to leahurst for HACS and some other random shiz in the first 3 years, but we also go there for socials. what other vet schools did you apply to?
    also dont you have essays and assignments as well as loads of exams in first year? im thankful that we dont!

ReputationRep:
    RVC is 4 people to a dog too! so obviously not that uncommon, especially as we're the biggest uni! :tongue:
    4 offers is impressive though, it's amazing enough to have one other choice let alone 3!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    glasgow is four to a dog, although it can be considerable less, depending on the hang over your friends are suffering from.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry guys! I heard that other vet schools have more than 4 to a dog, and that some didnt even get a dog! I was misinformed, apologies!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.