Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    didnt even get a dog! what they gonna give us? a rat and tell us to look at the nerves on that? would be kinda microscopic lol!
    we are gonna get horse and pig limbs as well this term. we had some pig stuff last term as well. but we get a wholeeeee dog, a new one for each new dissection...kinda means alot goes to waste though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_E_N_N_Y)
    but we get a wholeeeee dog, a new one for each new dissection...kinda means alot goes to waste though.
    wow that's quite nice of liverpool! we had to keep the same dogs throughout our 2 preclin years... did limbs and thorax in first year, head, abdomen and spine in 2nd... there wasn't much left of them at the end, poor things, and it was pretty difficult to identify some structures as they were so old... ah well! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    we do the same stuff in the same years but for some reason get new dogs all the time. they vary in quality though. my mate had a young german shephard for there forelimb dissection the other day which was apparently perfect. i havnt done my forelimb dissection yet though. lots of staffies though.

ReputationRep:
    we got the front half of a dog for thoracic limb, the butt was still in the freezer. and we took of one leg in the frisrt dissection and tagged it, so we were dissecting the same limb for bout 6 weeks, then we got the other side back (we managed to get the same dog) as a revision limb so we could refresh our memeories of the earlier dissections. Similar thing for the hind limb, we got the back end of a dog, that was ours for roughly 5 weeks. This way it reduces wastage, and aids continuity

ReputationRep:
    sat nav is a godsend! why was a LUVZS meeting across the water?
    edit: and i dont get quite the point of LUVZS when we have LUVS?
    Adam one of the members lives on that side so we alternate between Neston and Liverpool
    We organise talks like the Steve Leonard one and trips to Blue Planet and Knowsley Safari Park etc Its more focused at people who want to get involved in working with wildife/zoos. I'm in the process of trying the get Tropical Inc to visit the faculty for the day that would be awesome.

ReputationRep:
    we do the same stuff in the same years but for some reason get new dogs all the time. they vary in quality though. my mate had a young german shephard for there forelimb dissection the other day which was apparently perfect. i havnt done my forelimb dissection yet though. lots of staffies though.
    hah we would always fight for the greyhounds and avoid the fatty beagles :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    There are alot of stray dogs in Liverpool, basically they get put on death row for 7 days if no one claims them or gives them a home then they are put down. So I spose its better that they are at least going to some sort of use rather then just being disposed of, but I still don't like it. My dog is a staffie I hope I don't get one that looks like her...

ReputationRep:
    we get the behavioral rejects, i.e. they can be rehomed for behavioural problems, or at least thats what they tell us.

ReputationRep:
    That makes me really angry because its not the dogs fault it had sh**ty owners who couldn't be bothered/didn't know how to train their dog, and now the poor animal has to suffer for their incompetence.... wraaa! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    well no, not all behavioural issues are the fault of the owners, there are strong contributing factors in the dogs 'status' and personality, breed disposition, (everyone knows collies are snappy for example), genetic factors, or enviromental one, e.g. if the dog was a stray and a 'fighter' that was brought in for what ever reason they cant just release them and if they cant sort them then I'm afraid they come to us.

ReputationRep:
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that one I'm afraid :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham told us at the interview that they buy their dogs from pounds in America. Seems a bit harsh of the pounds to kill dogs to sell. Still, at least they're not wasted I guess...Is sad though.

LUVZS sounds pretty ace. Another reason to want to go to liv....

ReputationRep:
    LUVS is pretty ace to...the orangise the social side of things like freshers.
    I think the thing is with alot of these dogs is that you cant keep them all in rescue centres for infinate amounts of time so those that seem to have behavioural issues or just arnt what people are looking for in the end will end up being pts so its better we use them to learn stuff rather than they be insinerated or whatever. its sad but its seems there are always gonna be unwanted or stray dogs.
    You say liverpool has lots of stray dogs but ive never seen any lol.
    dinkeyferret, did you get the email bout the 2 black kittens, i was like i want i want! but alas no im in halls.

ReputationRep:
    I was told one of the unis cant remember which buys loads of ponies for dissection at the New forest sales as they are so cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bumbleboy)
    I was told one of the unis cant remember which buys loads of ponies for dissection at the New forest sales as they are so cheap.
    yup we have those! we found lots of worms in the ones we dissected last year, was fun :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd love some more little kittens, but my boyfriend has to reign me in or I'd end up as a crazy cat lady with 20+ of them running round the house. i imagine its rough not being allowed pets in halls, they should make allowances for vet students even if it was just small furries/fish etc

I reckon you could sneak one in and you could loan him/her out to friends when the cleaners came!

ReputationRep:
    Most of our doga are ex-greyhound racers. We also have 4 to a dog (surprise surprise.
    Our dog was called girty and had an annoying amount of fat for a greyhound. She was ours for two years so got quite fond of her lol. I remember at the end of first year sitting down to dissection one day to discover girty's head had been removed. Needless to say I was most distraught. She served us well....even if you did get in a greasy mess trying to scrape away the fat......:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vet.Storm)
    The course is fantastic - hands on experience right from the beginning of the course (better than a few other vet schools who i hear tend to have mostly lectures in the first term - my friend at the RVC said that she only recently started going out to the clinical campus!). Every thursday we go out to the clinical campus and have animal management lectures in the morning, then spend the afternoon doing vetty things like chasing sheep (my fav practical so far!). Also at the pre-clinical site in Southwell street there is a barn full of animals to play with, and you also have animal handling and sexing exams in the small furries. Dissection is superb, with four people to a dog. I may sound a tad bias, but i choose bristol after considering all other vet schools (i got offers from all four!) and i honestly love it. A word of warning though - the course is a lot of hard work. We recently had our exam results back, and a very large proportion of the year failed at least one exam. You have to be prepared to work hard, obviously enjoy yourself as well, but dont think its going to be easy! I dont know about other vet schools, but im sure its the same! If you have any other questions that you would like answered, preferably email me at [email protected] or you could post here (but i cant guarantee i will remember to check, so if you havent heard an answer, email me!)
    I emailed you :tongue: This way you can give me your completely rose-tinted, slightly biased opinions without the other vet students bringing you down =p

Oooh, and congrats on getting all four offers, I think only 2% of candidates get all 4! ;D

ReputationRep:
    without the other vet students bringing you down =p
    you got that right, mine is obviously the only opinion that matters and glasgow is the most amazing vet school by miles.

lol

:tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Nope Liverpool is blatantly the best :aetsch:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.