Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We had essay questions in our anatomy and physiology class exams and I really don't mind them, just not keen on actual essays.
    Gave up on the referencing so its all quite shoddily done. Now what the hell do you put in a summary? I'll figure something out, only have about 50 words to play with anyway so we'll see.

ReputationRep:
    bugger double post... oh well, all donw now and I'm away off to bed.
    Im impressed with myself, well over 12 hours before the official deadline! woo

ReputationRep:
    dissection day today, we are doing the body wall, so thoracic and abdominal, looking at all the muscle layers and, the ribs, the pleural membrane, that sort of thing, except we finished really quickly so we opened the chest cavity and took out the heart, our lil westies (we called her wylie) accidentally had her jugular severed a little bit. And she oozed everywhere, was like a scene out of a horror movie! then we opened up the abdominal cavity and had a wee poke around in there too! was actually really interesting, identifying all the organs and practicing surgical approaches. yey!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_Bex_x)
    dissection day today, we are doing the body wall, so thoracic and abdominal, looking at all the muscle layers and, the ribs, the pleural membrane, that sort of thing, except we finished really quickly so we opened the chest cavity and took out the heart, our lil westies (we called her wylie) accidentally had her jugular severed a little bit. And she oozed everywhere, was like a scene out of a horror movie! then we opened up the abdominal cavity and had a wee poke around in there too! was actually really interesting, identifying all the organs and practicing surgical approaches. yey!
    You lucky biyatch.

So do you think you're more of a 'slicer' or a 'consultations' kind of vet?

ReputationRep:
    slicer, I would love to do orthopedic surgey, but then I love meeting the people and all of the front of house stuff not just the behind the scenes operations stuff, oh I dont know, to be honest passing my exams and coming through the other side will be enough for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_Bex_x)
    slicer, I would love to do orthopedic surgey, but then I love meeting the people and all of the front of house stuff not just the behind the scenes operations stuff, oh I dont know, to be honest passing my exams and coming through the other side will be enough for me
    O rly? You'll pass, chicka. Didn't you ace an anatomy exam at some point in the year?

I don't really care much about meeting people, saying the same things again and again about deworming, and getting rid of fleas, and about dental hygeine etc, I want to be the vet the practice keeps in a lair who does all the surgeries =p

ReputationRep:
    Bex aces pretty much every exam!!! (we'll forget about physiology lol)

Saw that the other murano street lot who i get lifts with were finished really early on in the afternoon because the car was back when I came back from picking mum up. Hope I didnt miss too much and could i maybe borrow your vertebral collumn notes? Do a swap and you can have my abdominal wall ones.

Quiet week next week with only a couple of hours of lectures. Have a feeling that they're trying to give us a hint so we'll revise. Week after that class exams and then lambing!

ReputationRep:
    yup, my vetebral column for your abdominal wall, deal oh and the train money went through x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Floob)

Quiet week next week with only a couple of hours of lectures. Have a feeling that they're trying to give us a hint so we'll revise. Week after that class exams and then lambing!
    Us too, Im kinda pooping myself over these exams...

Currently trying to write notes on behaviour and welfare... gah... i hate these "fluffy subjects"! Give me a good bit of anatomy any day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egglet)

Currently trying to write notes on behaviour and welfare... gah... i hate these "fluffy subjects"! Give me a good bit of anatomy any day.
    Yeah tell me about it. At least anatomy is nice and exact. Physiology and biomolec are just hard, but animal husbandry is soo wishy washy, don't know what you're meant to be learning, all very bitty and in so many cases just seems to be somebody else's opinion.
    Bleh
    *hides again and pretends to study biomolec*

I was going to start work today... got my notes out and everything and started writing them up... then realised I was doing neuroanatomy and we have no anatomy exam in 2 weeks :redface: oops. Meedless to say have yet to start anything else

ReputationRep:
    hehe woopsies.
    Exam next week! arghhhhh
    No biomolec though, so thats good. But to compensate anatomy is giant and ridiculous, plus fish, amphibian, reptile anatomy and histology too yayyyy.....
    Physiology is super hard too. Male and female reproduction. I mean, it would be vaguely understandable if it was the same for all species.

To summarize, revision is killing me.

ReputationRep:
    oo our repro moudle is PBL, not till september though.

ReputationRep:
    sorry.... PBL?!

ReputationRep:
    problem based learning. its a big thing in the med school here. we have 1 module each semester thats pbl in 2nd and 3rd year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sooo happy we dont have pbl, it would annoy the hell out of me. One of my flatmates is doing medicine and he's always going on about how rubbish it is.
    I am a big fan of the get bored senseless in lectures and regurgitate everything for the exam approach to teaching

ReputationRep:
    ooh, yeah i think a medic told me about her Pbl once, it seemed completely irrelevant to what she was learning.
    Right... renal physiology... anyone fancy joining me?
    (they made it seem so simple in first year... sigh)

ReputationRep:
    yay, good to know it gets horribly difficult in 2nd year.
    I'm just away to get started on some good ole CNS stuff. Have dug out my notes and its painfully obvious which lectures i turned up to with a hangover!

ReputationRep:
    So is PBL the same as DSE (directed self education then)? Do any other vet schools do DSE?

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure about other vet schools but Notts have clinical relevance which is kind of similar to PBL, but its integrated in every module and is only a couple of hours a week. I like it cos its all relevant to what we're doing and you get to work through a case from presenting complaint, all the way through tests and examination to diagnosis and treatment! We have a vet facilitating so if we get really stuck they give us a nudge in the right direction. Its good cos it makes you feel like a real vet which makes the less interesting lectures seem a bit more bearable. We also have SDL (self directed learning) for a few hours each week which I assume is similar to DSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Floob)
    yay, good to know it gets horribly difficult in 2nd year.
    I'm just away to get started on some good ole CNS stuff. Have dug out my notes and its painfully obvious which lectures i turned up to with a hangover!
    Did you have weird OHP brain guy? He made brain stuff soo hard... I only survived that because of my human physiology text books.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.