Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    we do self directed learning, SDLA, which is bad.

ReputationRep:
    had suturing practical today, was really good, but you don't realise just had hard it is! you end up fiddeling and being totally cak handed, I'm going to buy me some fishing wire and practice on my cusions!

ReputationRep:
    They said use bananas, theyre apparently the best!
    Yeah suturing is hard, they dont teach you much in first year, its mainly guess work, theyre getting better at clinical skills though, our suturing class was amazing the other day, i can do like 5 types of suture now or something crazy.
    Still revising...

ReputationRep:
    still revising also, interesting bout the banana thing....

ReputationRep:
    omg i just caught up on the whole of this thread!!!! Very interestin sounds like sooo uch work but good fun. I am hopin to be able to get a dog from second year which i think would help me keep goin to as i find it really hard to work and write essays etc without my dogs wish there were more notts students on here then i can see hw my life will (hopefully) turn out

ReputationRep:
    there were lots last year, i'll just go dig out the old thread

EDIT: here's the notts vet freshers thread from last year

ReputationRep:
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egglet)
    They said use bananas, theyre apparently the best!
    Yeah suturing is hard, they dont teach you much in first year, its mainly guess work, theyre getting better at clinical skills though, our suturing class was amazing the other day, i can do like 5 types of suture now or something crazy.
    Still revising...
    In Grey's Anatomy, Christina Yang practices on a banana

/dork

ReputationRep:
    aaaah see greys anatomys is shown on channel five over here, and back home (in the countryside) we dont get channel five, or freeview, or broadband internet, sooooooo, I to this day have never seen an episode of greys anatomy, sadly.

ReputationRep:
    awww, i feel for you bex and more importantly for me lol. How am i going to survive a month in cumbria?
    Also on suturing thought i'd add... its not the easiest when you're a wee bitty hungover. (sorry about being such a useless pain this morning bex). Still thats my own fault. I should get the hang of this 'going out on thursdays is bad!' thing really.
    Also because its an entire waste of the next day. I have done no revision whatsoever today. Although did do other useful stuff like visit a yard as ive got to find somewhere for my horse for after easter. Right studying starts properly tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    ach flo, you arnt useless! and thats why i'm here, so you can go out on a thursday, be hung over on friday n I can know whats going on, and any way you are going to be soooo busy with all the wee lambies that you wont notice the total lack of outside contact! the guys here are just to have to cope without representitives from the wonderful world of glasvegas! however i dont know how i'm going to cope without TSR and facebook, this could be painful!

ReputationRep:
    me again! for GUVS its all about revision, am on a break from genetics atm, looking at SCID in horses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_Bex_x)
    aaaah see greys anatomys is shown on channel five over here, and back home (in the countryside) we dont get channel five, or freeview, or broadband internet, sooooooo, I to this day have never seen an episode of greys anatomy, sadly.
    As if you haven't heard of streaming/downloading eps, as if! In my day, young people never made excuses about not watching episodes.

ReputationRep:
    seriously slow and might i add expensive dial up, i tried it didnt work and i was running up a huge phone bill, mam was not impressed!

ReputationRep:
    back from crufts. It was actually realy interesting talking to some of the breeders. The majority of breeds actually are healthly. For examply a lot of the mountain dogs havnt changed in hundreds of years because you never get extremes when breeding them so as there are no extremes to breed to you get get exageration of features.
    On the other hand, one breed that does not look good is the show german shepard. They are so low on the back end and can hardly walk or run well. It just doesnt look healthy. Also the pugs and pekinese with the squashed faces. Obviously all breeds have problems, but alot of the breeders i talked today dont inbred most of the time and pride themselves on things like good hip scores etc. Although i did ask a rodensian ridgeback breeder about what she thought of the BBC program and yeah i wish i hadnt cause she was very old fashioned in her ways and would not shutup or let me get a word in.
    I saw talked to the owner of the bernese mountain dog best in breed. they are such well manered lovely dogs!
    I found alot of the breeders realy keen to talk to you about there breeding and ideals of the dog. And in my opion alot of the breeders are suprisingly open to change, of course you get the odd old fashioned one but you always will. We had a talk at the start and the kennel club are working to change the standards but you have to go slow becuase otherwise alot of people will be driven away from the kennel club and then they will have no power over the breeders. They are persuading judges to choose dogs more suited to working and have less exagerated traits etc. For example The best in breed clumber spainiel was not a typical winner as may of been seen in other years.
    Having said about the german shepards the one now showing in the pastrol group that got best in breed is alot higher standing than alot of the dogs i saw there but still fairly low, so it looks like change could happen.

The agility was amazing and i wish my dog was as good! some of the small dogs go sooo high over jumps. Videos coming soon on facebook.

Overall good and interesting day.

ReputationRep:
    I loved the bernese too they are georgious. I wanted to ask the cavelier king charles breeders bout the health but i didnt have the courage lol. I wish they were healthier they are the perfect dog really!
    I loved the agility - the poodles yesterday were amazing! My dog was sooo good at agility until my parents stopped me going I really need to start again now i have a car. She is super fast and ded attentive! I want to start healwork to music to after watchin it but there is no classes round here

ReputationRep:
    I once stayed at a bed and breakfast with a St. Bernard and it jumped on me, knocked me over, and wouldn't get off. It was a giggle. Then I met a Bernese when I was skiing and it was lovely and I sat in the snow with it for ages. It was the shop's dog and I just used to go to the shop to say hi to it 'cause it was always there.

ReputationRep:
    Had a physiology oral exam today, lasted 15mins, bluffed a bit, think i did ok though! One more exam, animal husbandry, before im away lambing... boo. Personally cant wait for second year to be done with before i can learn proper vetty things... will probably eat my own words when im dying under the work load, but pah. I want to be a vet already!

ReputationRep:
    first years are the opposite we've only had animal husbandry, got physilogy and biomolec to go yet. eek. think animal husbandry went well yesterday, just briking it bout phys.

ReputationRep:
    lol dont worry bex, its what 7.5% for physiology (and 5% for biomolec)
    yes guess who did all the maths today instead of revising hehe. I am majorly screwed for these exams, but all responsibility lies with me, not anybody else. Just printed out some past paper questions to have a go at, realised i couldnt do any, so came on here for a bit.
    Now going to make dinner and then draw pretty pictures of random metabolic pathways. Hopefully something will stick (even if the only thing that does stick is the blu tack used to pop the pictures on my wall)
    Now if i could just stay awake to revise that might help. Meh *crawls back into corner*

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.