The Student Room Group

Vet Student Blogs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
just thought I would post here,
today we dissection of the hind limb, we got the back end of a staffie, and oh my GOD it STANK to high heaven not just of death but rotting faeces, diarrhoea, and preservitive and rankness, its the one time I have gagged, and been unable to stay in the room (might also be something to do with last night but anyway) so yeah I though we could turn this into a semi blog where if anything interesting happens in your day post it here and share! good and bad ^
:biggrin:
Reply 21
x_Bex_x
its the one time I have gagged, and been unable to stay in the room (might also be something to do with last night but anyway) so yeah I though we could turn this into a semi blog where if anything interesting happens in your day post it here and share! good and bad ^
:biggrin:

Lol! Yeah I went to a med school open day and I cant stand human gore so when they showed us a cadavar I was like "dont pass out, dont pass out" and the guy showing us around explained that its actually usually the big strong men who pass out/throw up though thats usually to do with the fact they've been out drinking with the rugby team the night before and being presented with something quite gorey smelling of alcohol is not great on the stomach.

also like the idea of using this as a blog-type thing as theres representatives of each of the unis so you can sort of compare what eachothers up to AND some of you are on here quite regularly so its not taking up any extra free time really :smile:
givvy
AND some of you are on here quite regularly so its not taking up any extra free time really :smile:

I am on here all the time. But my life is seriously uninteresting: today, had one lecture, about sedatives, we're told not to inject our self with immobilon else you die. Then, had some more Computer Assisted Learning on sedatives.

Should I maybe only add things to this "blog" when they are interesting? LOL
Reply 23
hmm well i never made it to my 9 o clock today after the events of the ladies dinner+after party on thusrday night! made it to my 11 o clock one though and that was all i had. It was on muscles, in particular muscle fibres. Pretty sure i wasnt 100% sobar during it either. Slept most of the afternoon. had tea and going to the cinema in a bit. thts my day!
Reply 24
Thursday was quite intersting at Notts...2 hour lecture from Steve Leonard, was brilliant!
Reply 25
he was up here last week!
Reply 26
Yeh he said! He's actually a very good lecturer! He had us all on the edges of our seats!!! :p:
Reply 27
what was he lecturing about? he was on about monkeys up here.
Reply 28
sooo jealous!

I've just done an alk phos bio molec assignment, which almost killed me
Reply 29
a what what what?
Reply 30
alkaline phosphatase biomolecular science lab experiment report. nasty.
It's got a cool name though!
Reply 32
He was just lecturing about his life, how he found vet school, how he got into tv etc etc, he gave a lot of good advice
I like reading through this, to see what you're all up to, what lies ahead so to speak. Gets me all excited
Transatlanticdrawl_
I like reading through this, to see what you're all up to, what lies ahead so to speak. Gets me all excited

Well, today is sunday, and I am trying to finish my research report.

I am doing it about the incidence of respiratory infection in captive snakes, related to what temperature they're kept at. We have to pass it to continue in the year, but they mark doesn't count towards anything. So, thats kinda less pressure.

I am struggling to get it up from just over 2000 words to 4000 :frown:
AshMashMash
Well, today is sunday, and I am trying to finish my research report.

I am doing it about the incidence of respiratory infection in captive snakes, related to what temperature they're kept at. We have to pass it to continue in the year, but they mark doesn't count towards anything. So, thats kinda less pressure.

I am struggling to get it up from just over 2000 words to 4000 :frown:

Sounds fun :wink:

How do you find the workload, compared to say 4x A levels?

I know this is very very loose and coloquial, but let's say doing my four A levels of Maths Chemistry Biology and French taxed me x amount of free time weekly over my 2 year course. What would you consider your course in terms of workload in free time? 2x? (About double the free time workload of someone taking chemistry maths biology and french at A level), or what ?
Reply 36
first year here isnt to bad. We dont get any set work as such, no essays or anything i think for the whole of first year. The only assesed work is jan and summer exams. 1 for each module. so the only work you have is making sure you understand the stuff, writing up leatures, that kind of thing. some people do alot more outside leatures than others. i know people who do practically nothing but then i know people who write up every leature and are onto revising alredi.
Reply 37
Up here it isnt to bad its difficult to compare to Alevels. we have exams in december and then may june. with small assesment through, e.g. physiology we had a nerve/muscle open book exam to be completed at home and hand in that counts for a very small proportion of the year grade, and for biomolec we have experiment in the labs that we have to write reports on that dont count form any mark but are sort of progress reports. we also have tutorial session on key topics that allow you small group acess to teacher to again check progress.

the level of difficulty is sometimes alevel, sometimes higher, sometimes scary and sometimes common sense. quantity varies per topic but is a bit more than a level but not crazy. but this is only first year.
Am I right in saying that you two are Liverpool and Glas? Anyone know about Bristol, and their 1st year workload? I'm only curious, not worrying or anything.
Reply 39
Och ayee Glasgee hen!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending