Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Lambing atm, on my 4th day out of 3 weeks... ok i guess! not a lot happening, ewes lamb here and there but nothing too hectic.
    Hows everyone else's EMS going? more interesting than mine?

ReputationRep:
    i still have 2 weeks of uni after this week! got 3 football matchs and a half marathon to run before i can even think about lambing lol!

ReputationRep:
    Been lambing since last sunday.
    Done lots of tractor driving (I love my tractor!) and lamb stuff. Stomach tubed lots of lambs and a calf, have done quite a few subcutaneous injections an intravenous and put a calf down . Also actually lambed a few
    Really good fun so far although its been a fairly quiet start about 700 ewes to go these next 3 weeks.

I'm absolutely knackered, but loving it because the weather is brilliant and the farmer is lovely

ReputationRep:
    i swear almost every uni is finished for easter now. except here. its a shame cause it means by the time i get back from lambing they have all gone back to uni..
    horse nerves and nerve blocks today....its gonna take a fair chunk of my brain remembering it all.
    edit: horse forelimb nerves i forgot to say...

ReputationRep:
    Bristol only finished today, but we've got 4 weeks off - 3 weeks lambing, 1 week extra to sleep and do nothing! Then back to uni for a couple of weeks, then 2 week gap, then exams!! I'm so worried about the little time we have for revision!
    After you floob talking about lambing it's getting me all excited! It'll be the most "hands-on" experience I've ever had!

ReputationRep:
    you're all so lucky to get time off for easter. we get the weekend off and thats all. we don't have any time for revision between lectures and the exams either. oh well it makes up for it in other ways here. we had a dog for dissection the other week and it was still warm which was slightly creepy but very useful to see it all exactly how it is in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_E_N_N_Y)
    i swear almost every uni is finished for easter now. except here. its a shame cause it means by the time i get back from lambing they have all gone back to uni..
    horse nerves and nerve blocks today....its gonna take a fair chunk of my brain remembering it all.
    edit: horse forelimb nerves i forgot to say...
    We've not finished yet. We're on study leave, and our end of third year exams start a week on tuesday. We only get 2 weeks easter hols as well. feel lucky you're in the lower years and get longer off guys!

Hope everyone enjoys their lambing

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by batty_hatty)
    We've not finished yet. We're on study leave, and our end of third year exams start a week on tuesday. We only get 2 weeks easter hols as well. feel lucky you're in the lower years and get longer off guys!

Hope everyone enjoys their lambing

x
    are all years on study leave? cause that would explain why a few first years have been up here over the last couple of weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_E_N_N_Y)
    are all years on study leave? cause that would explain why a few first years have been up here over the last couple of weeks.
    I think the first and second years have gone off for lambing at easter, third years are on study leave, 4th years have EMS/rotations, which only leaves the 5th years at Hawkshead.

ReputationRep:
    Watch out for it this summer, should be good!
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gall...ture=345074086

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hel' in Heaven)
    Watch out for it this summer, should be good!
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gall...ture=345074086
    I saw some of that, was awesome

However, I missed Richard Dawkins coming in! I needed to pick up my brother, argh!

ReputationRep:
    had a very unvetty weekend. did some pole vault coaching, went lunching and cinemaing. didnt get enough sleep and the clocks went forward. ran 13.1 miles today in the liverpool marathon.

i can tell you my legs are aching alot from that. i was suprised at how hilly liverpool was. a nice route though, just hard work. easily the hardest chunk of excercise i have ever done. ever.

ReputationRep:
    Any idea when Animal Autopsy will be shown? or is 'the summer' all they're saying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily99)
    Any idea when Animal Autopsy will be shown? or is 'the summer' all they're saying?
    yeah we haven't heard of a specific date yet! As our college was pretty heavily involved in it they told us we'd be the first to know when it was airing, so I'll pass the info on

ReputationRep:
    Woop woop passed my driving test! :woo: good job really as I need it for lambing next week yay little lambs so bouncy and cute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinkyferret)
    Woop woop passed my driving test! :woo: good job really as I need it for lambing next week yay little lambs so bouncy and cute.
    Yay! Well Done!
    Have you been lambing before? I'm going into my 3rd of 3 weeks of lambing now. I love the actual lambing part where you get to put your hand in and decipher what's going on. I also like giving colostrum to all the lambs (which not all farms do), it'll make us experts at stomach tubing! Oh and the tail docking is good (they don't do castrating at this farm). However I don't like how stupid the sheep are - they won't follow their own lambs and they try to steal others lambs. We're also forever building pens, I'm even dreaming of building pens! lol. The lambs are cute however in our little orphanage all skipping around and comfortable with humans - we have loads of triplets and a few quadruplets! Lambing has been very tiring though - we started 9am-12am, then moved to 6pm-6am (for the busy period) and tomorrow we're moving to 12pm-12am.
    They also have some beef cattle here, and they're calving at the mo, and got to see a calving yesterday, where they had to use a large metal thingy (don't have a clue what it's actually called) to get the calf out cos it a bit big.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karate_kat)
    They also have some beef cattle here, and they're calving at the mo, and got to see a calving yesterday, where they had to use a large metal thingy (don't have a clue what it's actually called) to get the calf out cos it a bit big.
    I think its just called a calving aid. Where I am currently we just use it for everything since it's so much quicker. But then again most of the calves are very big.

And yea, I agree about working out what position everything is in, I had a strange one today where both its legs were over the top of its head but I think it was just becasue the head had rotated around.

ReputationRep:
    The first time i got an upside down lamb the other day, it took me ages to realise i had to rotate it round.

Also am lambing blackies, had two ram lambs born with massive horns! The last one was just so massive that it had to be put into breech and then yanked out... thought we'd done well but the sheep went and died on us two days later! But got two lovely tip lambs out of it who are real cuties.

Leaving tomorrow! Will miss it but it will be nice not having to wake up early and go to bed late for 3weeks on the trot! Speaking of trotting, Grand national tomorrow anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I think they're called Calving Jacks.. gives the controlled strength of 8 men or something my vet told me!

We had the first foal of the year born at my yard last week... sooo cute! Called Roly hehe.

ReputationRep:
    All this lambing talk *sigh* I love it! I had one today which had to be pulled (after I spent 2 hours trying to catch it! At this point I wondered why on earth I wanted to be a vet!) Theres a point where you think it's never going to come out and then suddenly you have a new born lamb on the grass! It's brillient. I love it how you drag them out and the within no time at all there up and about. It's so amazing. I doubt the novelty will ever wear off! Ahhhh.... :rolleyes:

xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.