Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xFuture_Vetx)
    Its a good feeling to get stuck in tbh I'll probably get sick of it soon :tongue: Anyway! Back to the books :yep: Have fun unpacking!!!

xxx
    Im done unpacking! Did it all last night
    The rest of my flatmates are moving in :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Today i had my first shot at taking blood from a rabbit, it didnt go well :-( the rabbit jumped, i jumped, the needle came out, there was blood...disaster! and most of the rest of my class managed it without any fuss too!

ReputationRep:
    If anyone's interested. . .

Lectures on membranes and then ionisation and buffers. A trip to the fibreglass animals. Attempting some work. A practical on cells. Then another lecture about nucleic acids!

Fun times At the moment we seem to be covering all the basics Its quite good because they make it more interesting by puttung a vet slant on it :yep:

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I liked how they would try to link what we were learning with the whole animal body and not just focus entirely on cells etc. Like when we were learning about collagen and then the lecturer mentioned at the end how defects in the collagen led to osteogenesis imperfecta and other conditions.
    It's been very interesting, all in all.
    The fibreglass animals were very cool, especially the cow. Just thought I would add that in.
    It was a bit tricky trying to milk it though. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! I like that aspect of the course. Even stuff you did in school is given a wee vet slant :yep:

I didn't like the hair on that horse though *shivers* And that cow was impossible to milk! The sharp edge gave me sore hands lol

x x x

ReputationRep:
    We had a test in pathophysiology, tested total blood protein (which didn't work), took an xray of a dog, tried to find some parasites under a microscope and failied until they were found for us (eggs of some nematode and cestode that i cant remember) and then learned how to calculate drug dosages. Not actually too bad a day.

ReputationRep:
    We do drug dosages next week Should be fun!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Yep! Unfortunately AH Maths taught very little in the way of vital arithmetic (just those silly imaginary numbers haha). Anyone sense a bit of bitterness here? :yep: Ah well, those days are over. I look forward to those nice sort of calculations we'll get to do at vet school (the more chemistry-like ones).

ReputationRep:
    I loved Math!!! I really miss it

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Me and AH Maths just didn't gel really. I liked some bits (the bits I understood haha) but generally I don't miss it. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Well! Week 10 at the **** Vet now! We got a provisional timetable the other day and I am now freaking out about exams. On the plus side the revision is a bit more evident :tongue: and I am really enjoying the anatomy :yep: Learning muscle names is fun and I have my bone box to point bones out and visualise where muscles would insert etc.

Today we had lectures on Food safety, forelimbs, a tutorial and a practical at Langhill Now I'm cramming muscle names and writing my lab book up :yep:

xxx

ReputationRep:
    We're in the last week of our muscoskeletal module right now only got 3 more lectures left (muscle disease, joint damage and inflammation) and a large animal palpation revision and pig handling practical left.
    We've had formative exams this week (ie they don't count to overall mark, we do all our "real" exams in the summer) which consisted of a MCQ test on monday and then we have practical exams this coming friday which should be an interesting experience.

Muscle names are quite interesting to learn, it's a shame there isn't a consistent nomenclature system but normally the latin name is just describing the shape/function/position.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    so what's happening at the other vet schools?

ReputationRep:
    Us 4th years at the RVC have our last end of module exam today (hence I'm on here avoiding revision), and then go on study leave for 2 weeks before our end of fourth year exams in mis december. It's scary how much we need to know for them, I have 7 full lever arch files and all the module handbooks to learn in 2 weeks!

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool first years are just in the middle of basic biochemistry, pharmacology and physiology. Unlike the other vet schools we do very few dissections/anatomy until next semester. Prodded some foetuses the other day, to get a look at the developing cardiovascular/circulatory system. And we're dissecting hearts next week. But like I said, we don't do hard-core dissections until after Christmas.
    We also have histology practicals, checking out all the tissues that we've learnt about over the weeks and animal husbandry seminars in which we have various speakers in talking to us about various animal industries and the animal management within them. Encorporated into these sessions we also have public health lectures. Interesting
    We've finished our HACS course (basic animal handling and clinical skills). Great fun; very hands on. Tiring though! Oh and we're all beginning to organise our PCEMS placements, just having had a lecture on all the stipulations etc.

First year's said to be the easiest year at Liverpool - no assignments or anything yet (apart from a few MCQ's etc). Most of the work we do is just re-enforcing what we've learnt in lectures (not difficult material, just a lot of it!).

Other than that the only thing I can mention is socials. We've literally had one every weekend recently! Work hard, play harder motto is definitely appropiate.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol 2nd years have finished the head and neck anatomy, and pretty much finished neuroanatomy. Although it was quite interesting holding a brain in the palm of our hands, it wasn't helpful that they were fully apart when we tried dissecting them! Just got special senses anatomy left for the rest of this term.
    In physiology we've covered ruminant digestion, immunology, major hormonal systems, and male and female reproductive systems in physiology this term. (+histology related to these systems)
    We've done ectoparasites (mites,ticks,flies,fleas, lice) and are currently doing endoparasites in parasitology.
    We're doing behaviour, welfare, nutrition, epidemiology and statistics this term in the animal management part of the course.
    And that's about it!
    Oh, and similar to liverpool uni, we are currently arranging PCEMS placements atm.

ReputationRep:
    I mentioned socials. Christmas social this evening. Man. Oh man. You geddit.

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Been absent the last few days due to the Anatomy Lab book which needs handing in next week. . . My camara is full of dead dog and cat pics. Lovely. LDVet and I got this awful tubby cat yesterday. We were looking at the nerves in the forelimb and the whole time I was pulling bits of fat trying to decide if they were nerves. . . We are also doing some lectures on animal wefare atm and working our way through skin. This week is all forelimb dissections, skin and Animal welfare. With clinical skills on thursday which should be good fun

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Oh I should mention a wee bit about our course structure! We do lots of Cell Biology. Then spend every other day in dissections after November onwards. We spend one day a week at Langhill as well We also Have AHWFS thrown in every so often. At the moment its Animal Welfare as I said with the anatomy lectures as well.

x

ReputationRep:
    How was the staff/student liason FV? I think I've caught the vomiting bug from my sis.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.