Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    Am I right in saying that you two are Liverpool and Glas? Anyone know about Bristol, and their 1st year workload? I'm only curious, not worrying or anything.
    There is a sheet summarising the Bristol workload in the interview pack, in terms of hours per week.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I read that, and what they are roughly expecting you to do in your free time, hours-wise, but just wanted to hear it from an actual current student in case it ended up realistically being more/less than what is advised.

ReputationRep:
    im sure karate kat will be along some time to answer the question about bristol. And yep i am liverpool!

edit: a sunday in a vet students life! sleep till 12, get up and get ready for footy match of vets v medics A to find out its canceled cause the astros are flooded! walk to the tesco to get some food since you missed breakfast and sunday food is the worst day of the week so will be needing stuff for later to. end up buying stuff you dont realy need but looks tasty! then get back and eat some tesco microwavable meal. Just about settle down to tackle the cardiovascular system and the muscles and get disturbed by someone coming to get that bottle of wine they left in your room the other day, find out some extremely funny stories about a friend at a rowing party the night before, finally decide to get on with work and then spend 15mins trying to get vital to work so you can get the powerpoints! then give up and decide to use books like the old fashioned way. come on here and tell you all cause tbh my heads not in the workin mood right now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    Sounds fun

How do you find the workload, compared to say 4x A levels?

I know this is very very loose and coloquial, but let's say doing my four A levels of Maths Chemistry Biology and French taxed me x amount of free time weekly over my 2 year course. What would you consider your course in terms of workload in free time? 2x? (About double the free time workload of someone taking chemistry maths biology and french at A level), or what ?
    Depends what year your in. First year isn't too bad. I did 4 A levels, and I would say its about the same as that, depending how much time you spend on them. Then, second year gets slightly more, than third year, MUCH more. It seems a bit silly the amount of work... of course it needs to be done though.

Also, in my college, in 3rd and 4th year you get like 4 weeks off all year. The rest of the time is either studying or doing work experience placements (26 weeks in the 2 years).

Oh, and I am on 2800+ words now

ReputationRep:
    yeah 3rd years do say that its horribly hard! here apparetly the worst term is the first term of 3rd year in terms of workload, hours in uni, essays and what not. Obv 5th year you have loads of hours cause of rotations.

ReputationRep:
    well today its just been revision for me, exams 2nd 3rd 4th december eek!

ReputationRep:
    Ok well I'm not a vet student but I have to write about yesterday:

woke up at 9am at my boyfriends house to several texts/voicemails/missed calls from my housemates telling me to run home immediately. So off I ran to find in our living room a newly hatched chick!!
    we'd been incubating eggs for a few weeks and had pretty much given up on them hatching as we didnt have a proper incubator (a plastic box with a wet towel in with cling-film over the top and a desk lamp shining on it) but there she was

then skipped all morning lectures while we set up a warm cage for her with the right food etc, had to run off to the lab for the afternoon then a band practice but then spent the evening cooing over her

Now just gotta hope one of her siblings hatches so she has a playmate... one of the eggs was chirping yesterday but no sign of pipping yet

ReputationRep:
    ah sweet!
    at the kennels where i worked they hatched chicks its so amazing when they hatch the egg is so small!

just dissection lecture and hind limb dissection up here, looking at the stifle crus and tarsus and the muscles roundabout.

ReputationRep:
    we dont do all the limbs and limb disections till after xmas in a module creativly named "limbs".
    As a big part of being a vet is the social side, pub golf last night, still recovering. that will teach me to try and keep up with my "golfer". guys were golfers and girls were caddys and you got assigned a golfer. It was actually a rowing club social but i was a "guest". Cant remember the end of the night, but some part of me rememebered to turn my alarm on when i came in so i actually made it to my 9am pharmocology leature this morn! although im not sure quite how sobar i was during it....
    3 weeks of term left, then 3 weeks off and then EXAMS. only 6 weeks to get into my head all this infomation...panicccc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_E_N_N_Y)
    we dont do all the limbs and limb disections till after xmas in a module creativly named "limbs".
    As a big part of being a vet is the social side, pub golf last night, still recovering. that will teach me to try and keep up with my "golfer". guys were golfers and girls were caddys and you got assigned a golfer. It was actually a rowing club social but i was a "guest". Cant remember the end of the night, but some part of me rememebered to turn my alarm on when i came in so i actually made it to my 9am pharmocology leature this morn! although im not sure quite how sobar i was during it....
    3 weeks of term left, then 3 weeks off and then EXAMS. only 6 weeks to get into my head all this infomation...panicccc
    Do you revise and make notes throughout the week? How much do you study on average, per week? *sigh* I want to be in uniii, I make the prettiest notes, with post-its and nice tidy writing and lovely illustrated diagrams =]

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm I'm not going to answer you dissey coz I don't do anywhere near enough.... and now the panic has totally settled in :eek:

but I agree with jenny, went to a cross dress party last week and didnt get in till late/early made it to 9am lectures and then nearly threw up in dissection, smelly dog + queasy stomach = bad combination,
    vet applicant motto, no news is good news
    vet student motto, work hard, play harder!

ReputationRep:
    yeah i remake the notes from leatures in my own time and then when each topic is finished i kinda make flow thingys that piece it all together so it makes more sense. like right now i need to do a massive metabolism one piecing together all the nitrogen, carbs and fats metabolism thingys. Im a bit behind on this weeks work cause i was out monday night then ill tuesday and wednesday then out last night and then im in newcastle this weekend so im trying to get some done now and on the train tomoz. Re making notes and stuff just makes it easier when it comes to revise as you have alredi gone over it at least once, normally more outside leatures...

ReputationRep:
    Except the worklay ratio is 2:7 ? :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a stick in the mud, but I'll sorely disapoint some people if they expect me to be out on the lash every night. I'm hoping to enjoy my course, and join a local gym, and enjoy going out in moderation, aswell as other things. I seriously will have no money/will to be out all the time. I'm quite screwed :o:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not out every night, I simply get tired but you have to relax, and when you go out make the most of it!

ReputationRep:
    o jesus no not every night! the only time thts happend is freshers week then vet freshers week, even then i had like 2 outa 12 days off lol! no some weeks i only go out as in out out drinking out like once or maybe not at all..though that doesnt happen often. and some weeks just end up a bit mad and i might go out to much.
    Dont join a local gym, join the uni ones, much cheeper! I've joined the gym here and train for athletics 2 times a week when i can plus vet football on wed and mathes on sundays! so its not all going out out out. sometimes its also nice to just sit in the kitchen and chat with choccies!

ReputationRep:
    Yez uni gym thats what I meant, I can imagine local ones would be v expensive compared.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not out that much either. Partly money, partly time.

This week has been quite good. For some reason, they timetabled it such that every day we had 4 lectures in the morning, and then practical stuff in the afternoon. You only had 1-2 days in the week doing practical stuff, only lasting a couple hours or so, and so the rest of the time could be spent writing notes in the afternoon. Nice like that. Means you have the evenings a bit more free.

We're learning about surgery, suturing materials and things, using this website which is really helpful:

http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/index.php?p...les-of-surgery

Some nice video's/pictures on their if you wanna have a look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshMashMash)

We're learning about surgery, suturing materials and things, using this website which is really helpful:

http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/index.php?p...les-of-surgery

Some nice video's/pictures on their if you wanna have a look.

arghhhhhhhhh!!! I can't believe they expect us to be aces at suturing for our exam in two weeks!!!! I'm so happy it's only formative!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hel' in Heaven)
    arghhhhhhhhh!!! I can't believe they expect us to be aces at suturing for our exam in two weeks!!!! I'm so happy it's only formative!
    Oh hello You're in my year apparently... and yes, I know! lol. I bought the suturing kit from union shop on thurs, and had a little practice. Tis well fun. Been doing those darn one/two handed ties too... I think I have the nack of them now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.