The Student Room Group

Vet Student Blogs

Scroll to see replies

Asako
hope that the new RVC curriculum is right up there!!

I reckon so, it sounds a lot better than the old one (that I am on)!
I would say so far, the vast majority of what we've learnt has been relevant. We haven't had to learn amino acid structures!

Often when we have a more seemingly dislocated lecture the clinical relevance/application of the knowledge is highlighted so that makes things more interesting.
For example this week we have had some basic biochemical acid-base lectures however these were made interesting and relevant when we went onto learn how to interpret blood gas readings looking at various acidoses and alkaloses. And then we've had follow up work where we've had to interpret a various acid-base imbalances and this area has been highlighted in our clinical relevance case this week we've been looking at a horse with colic and more specifically the potential problems caused by anaesthesia.

However I would say, even things such as amino acid structures and exact cornea layer measurements are not going to be irrelevant to everyone. Obviously there is a vast amount of areas one can go into with a veterinary degree and so the course must be geared so that it reflects this.

On the point of learning how to critique journals, we have a fair amount of teaching in that area before our research projects.

I would say we have a lot of opportunity here to feedback about the course. We have a questionnaire to fill in at the end of every module and year reps who can voice our concerns/recommendations. The course is then fine tuned in light of these. I would say our feedback is mostly weighted in the direction of how the course is delivered as opposed to the content of the curriculum.
Reply 602
Asako,

In response to your post, you fail to provide any clinical relevance to the points I raised. I’m sure that as you progress through the course, qualify and gain clinical experience by taking primary responsibility of managing cases; you may then appreciate my point of view.

I’m surprised that a student is willing to publically imply that a vet of many years experience, and one that is unknown to them; sees undergrad veterinary studies as a means to an end without realising the actual situation.

I am not prepared to debate this subject any further, or the laminitis. My spare time is limited and I prefer to provide information of help to potential students. Perhaps a seperate forum for veterinary studies debates would be a plan? When I was a student of similar age (>10yrs ago), there were no forums like this one and obtaining such information was very difficult!

Good luck with your studies.
Reply 603
ponyvet,

My entire argument has been based on your original point;
why you had to learn irrelevant rubbish

Which, I stand by my point, is that irrelevance is subjective. Hence your clinical point of view will be different to those of others with perhaps broader horizons.

It's a shame you don't want to talk further and insist on taking umbrage at my point of view. The marvellous medium that is the internet allows debate on quite a level playing field.

Thanks for the luck with my studies, I wish you great success with your CPD!

------------

Blogwise

Another entry coming up on AHEMS module stuff at Boltons Park Farm.

Is there anything any prospective RVC students would like me to post about? I'll happily oblige where possible.
Asako
Another entry coming up on AHEMS module stuff at Boltons Park Farm.

AHEMS at BPF? :s-smilie:

Did you attend the lambing thing there that was on Saturday? My flatmate was organising and running it :smile:
Reply 605
AshMashMash
AHEMS at BPF? :s-smilie:

Did you attend the lambing thing there that was on Saturday? My flatmate was organising and running it :smile:

I was there!! :biggrin: Am part of the Camden committee now :smile:
Reply 606
I couldn't make it on Saturday, was expecting to be out of the country and then plans changed last minute. A lot of the G&Ts went and said it was fantastic though!

I should say AH at BPF, but I am also doing my dairy AHEMS at BPF because it's more of a recap (I worked in a dairy farm for ~5years).

Blahhh how are you finding RVC? I wish I knew who you RVC TSR-ers were!!
Reply 607
Asako
I couldn't make it on Saturday, was expecting to be out of the country and then plans changed last minute. A lot of the G&Ts went and said it was fantastic though!

I should say AH at BPF, but I am also doing my dairy AHEMS at BPF because it's more of a recap (I worked in a dairy farm for ~5years).

Blahhh how are you finding RVC? I wish I knew who you RVC TSR-ers were!!

I finding it good :biggrin: Lots of work, and I keep feeling like I should be doing more...but I love it :biggrin:
How about you?
blahhh
I was there!! :biggrin: Am part of the Camden committee now :smile:

Ah wicked! I was sleeping in bed :o:

Asako

Aye I hear 60 people or so went :smile:

Ahh ok, make's sense.

Revising for me today, joy...
Reply 609
Any luck with the revision?

I went riding today and studied histopathology at home. I got snowed on an awful lot.

Added a blog post about interviews which I'll review tomorrow because I'm tired and bleary eyed right now. Another one coming up on lambing animal handling too when I find the time!
Asako
I went riding today and studied histopathology at home. I got snowed on an awful lot.

Haha, I thought that said you studied histo while riding! :woo:

NSSS revision today...
Reply 611
AshMashMash
Haha, I thought that said you studied histo while riding!

I would if I could but I can't :frown:

I've had a great day today so far. Really good lecturing on the male reproductive tract and then a fabulous lunch at a local japanese restaurant. Running interview practice sessions later. Busy bee.
*BANG!!!!*

That was my brain exploding :tongue:

Well 4 days left. . .

xxx
tigercallie
Ahhhh im revising for genetics right now, I feel your pain! Urgh i really think genetics is the most boring subject ever. Im so un-mathsy, and generally its just a total snorefest!

I passed the dreaded Immuno/Patho/Genetics exam :biggrin: How did yours go?

Mine was nothing short of a miracle as I only got 64% in genetics, 61% in patho and 80% in immuno - we need 60% in each subject to pass! and we had to pass all 3 subjects to be positive in this exam......loads of my friends got better grades than me in patho but flunked genetics (or vice versa) so they're having to retake it. This is a really stupid system which means you're better being an average all-rounder than really good at one thing!

Hope your exams went well, my next 3in1 marathon is Bacteriology/Virology/parasitology (it sort of makes sense to have those together as it is likely that you'd have to make a DD from the 3 subjects, but patho and genetics really don't go well together IMHO!)
clair0511
I passed the dreaded Immuno/Patho/Genetics exam :biggrin: How did yours go?

Mine was nothing short of a miracle as I only got 64% in genetics, 61% in patho and 80% in immuno - we need 60% in each subject to pass! and we had to pass all 3 subjects to be positive in this exam......loads of my friends got better grades than me in patho but flunked genetics (or vice versa) so they're having to retake it. This is a really stupid system which means you're better being an average all-rounder than really good at one thing!

Hope your exams went well, my next 3in1 marathon is Bacteriology/Virology/parasitology (it sort of makes sense to have those together as it is likely that you'd have to make a DD from the 3 subjects, but patho and genetics really don't go well together IMHO!)

Hey yeh i passed mine too! Got a B so im really chuffed with that! It was terrifying though, i got a proper grilling about something that we've never covered in lectures and wasnt in the textbook! I was like WTF, but it was all ok in the end!!! Well done to you! but that does seem like a really silly system you've got!
Reply 615
Well done clair & tigercallie :woo:

Popped another post up on my blog.

Revising for mock viva at the end of the week - the range of questions we can be asked is a little terrifying! :eek:

*Sweeps up the bits of FutureVet's brain*
Reply 616
Mind giving the leftovers of FVs brain to me? Mine is scuppered.
I realised today that I am really awful at time management in exams, I hope they can read the writing for my last few questions.. :yep:
Oi I want it back lol I need it to learn bones! Yes as you can guess I currently have bones across my kitchen table :smile: Awesome stuff!

Shorts and interpretation yesterday :eek: Hopefully I've done enough to pass but I couldn't have done any more so I'm happy anyway (even if I fail lol). Essays today which could have gone alot worse so I'm dead pleased with the q's we got. Tomorrow a spot exam which will be fun and a couple of orals then the wait. . . . .

LDVet, how did you get on today? I never saw you.

xxx
Reply 618
Today was a LOT better than Tuesday. I think I really messed up in the short answer qs because I didn't have the time to do 3 of the questions properly. Hopefully I'll still have enough to pass!
I loved the questions today, they could have been a lot more horrific than they were. :biggrin:
I know! I did a wee dance when I saw the heart development! The first q was awesome too! The 2nd one I could have scrapped though a few marks at a push. Anatomy ones were awesome too :yep: Stifle, skin and mediastinum! Woohoo! I think my stifle q was a bit incoherent though. . . Probably should have thought about my plan a little more! Never mind!

I'm currently relooking at mm and nn atm. . . Fingers crossed for tomorrow! Team muppet will triumph :woo:

Good luck!!!

xxxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending