Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hel' in Heaven)
    haha how can "problem" and "100%" even exist in the same sentence?!!!!
    If you got 100% of it wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Not a vet student as such, but this weekend I've been at a free range turkey farm plucking them ready for christmas. I got to kill a few, and we plucked loads. So now I have a cold and sore fingers:confused: !
    But it was still good fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllyH)
    If you got 100% of it wrong?
    well yes I suppose, 0% on the exam though :p:
    it was meant to be rhetorical anyway!

ReputationRep:
    ok panic over. i got up at 6.30 to go through all the muscles and ligaments and articulations a couple of times. couldn't eat breakfast because the though made me feel sick. went in for the written exam at 8.55. it was much easier than I had imagined it would be so that was good. had to wait around for 2 hours for the results to be put up on the board. only one in the class to get 100% so yes they all hate me now (again). went straight in to the oral with the most disgusting sheep dissection I have ever seen. it barely resembled the animal it once was and had been put on the table with its spine totally twisted so that the pelvic limbs were pointing upwards. yuck. did the oral, not as confident as i was with bones but got everything right so was graded an A. back home to revise genetics......

ReputationRep:
    wow congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    ok, had my practical exam at the RVC today...
    first station: Suturing: dropped the rat tooth forceps on the ground (picked it up again as they'd only given us one --> :no: ), the suture material kept coming off the needle, I forgot to do enough throws for the square knot... arghhhh!!!
    and then at the end the examiner had to ask me if I'd broken sterility:
    ummmm let me see... :rolleyes:
    thank god I'm now on holiday :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hel' in Heaven)
    ok, had my practical exam at the RVC today...
    first station: Suturing: dropped the rat tooth forceps on the ground (picked it up again as they'd only given us one --> :no: ), the suture material kept coming off the needle, I forgot to do enough throws for the square knot... arghhhh!!!
    and then at the end the examiner had to ask me if I'd broken sterility:
    ummmm let me see... :rolleyes:
    thank god I'm now on holiday :yep:
    Aww no! Aww thats rubbish Helen. My suturing went alright, but the anaesthetic one was a joke!

How am I meant to know which is most "economical"? I also couldn't remember the equations... so, after spending about a minute randomly putting the Bain apparartus together, as it was the easiest, I just stood there and smiled at the nice examiner lady, waiting for the 5 mins to be up... not writing a single thing down, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Spend the weekend revising anatomy, again. Hadn't looked at the bones since the beginning of term so had a few fairly sleepless nights. Monday morning was up at 5.30 am reading over notes before 8am written test. 25 questions with a few really mean ones thrown in. All of us had neglected to learn origin and insertion of carpal/tarsal and digit muscles so when asked for the origin and insertion of m. flexor carpi radialis drew a bit of a blank. Mostly good though. Had an hour and a half wait for the papers to be marked and then the young blonde female lecturer who all the boys love came out and announced our marks in front of everyone and whether or not we were allowed to go on and do the oral. 23/25 so into the anatomy rooms to wait in fear. Watched a few 4th years go in to do their big final of bones, muscles, blood, nerve and organs. They took blooming ages. Finally it was our turn and as noone wanted to go first I volunteered. Went in and after a little rooting around in a box was handed a calcaneus. Crap! never bothered looking at one of these since the first ever bones practical. Thank god for a good memory. Lots of bones and lots of muscles questions on yet another disgusting goat. I've never been so nervous before an exam before (except genetics on friday in which I got an A) but luckily it went well and i got 95% (A). Joint top. Now I am feverishly revising for latin and milk hygiene exams on friday. Well when i say feverishly i mean highlighting a few lines then coming on here again.

ReputationRep:
    how are your marks so high!? and how come you get your results the same day? ours have some werid anon system where they are marked and they checked by other lecturers. and then you get a provisional result about a month later and then they are moderated by an external person so the result becomes final in june. this is for are jan exams.

ReputationRep:
    my marks are high because i work my backside off and literally had 2 books memorised for anatomy and went to self study every week (6 hours) as well as the practicals. For genetics it was just lots of studying and good luck with my questions. Our exams are mainly oral so they are able to say there and then if you've passed or not and for anatomy the written is literally just 25 questions which are either right or wrong so that's not hard to mark. Also in anatomy you have the oral done by the head of the english taught version and then the head of the department sits in and moderates it.
    It's really really hard to get As here. An A grade is 90-100%, B is 80-90 and so on. A lot of people fail.

ReputationRep:
    we dont have A's. fail pass credit distinction. not sure what the cut of points for each are but i think you only have one of them after the 5 years or something and its worked out using your average. I think in all them exams until then you get pass or fail and a percentage. 50% to pass.
    I just looked at my timetable and relised that i only have 1 lecture and 1 semiar left, due to a couple of cancelations. That is all i have before exams. after that its up to me to make sure i know my stuff by the time i come back after xmas. And i have to start finding PCEMS placements and getting them signed off and auturised etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    right, thought i'd start this off again seeing as we're back to work at glasgow
    Today was the first day back at lectures, after 3 weeks of doing absolutely nothing it was quite a shock to come right back to a full day of lectures. Got through it eventually, struggling not to fall asleep. I am proud to say that for once I managed, but then it is the beginning of term and I've caught up on quite a lot of sleep recently so really shouldn't have been falling asleep in the first place.
    We also got our christmas exam results back for biomolec. I somehow managed to pass (63%). Quite how I did that is a complete mystery to me, they must have confused my paper with someone elses. I literally revised the night before and somehow passed.
    I probably won't do as well for the others, but i kind of want to fail something to really give myself a kick up the arse. I NEED to start doing more work.

Right now I'm going to copy out some lovely anatomy drawings so that i can stick them on my wall for plenty of 'passive learning'

ReputationRep:
    what she said

ReputationRep:
    your back alreidi and into lectures? im back on sunday then got exams over the 2 weeks after that and then back to lectures, dissections and what not.

ReputationRep:
    we broke up on the 12th though, (or a few days before eh hem..) so i think it works out roughly the same, we break up for easter super early too, march 13th then back easter tuesday :eek:

ReputationRep:
    We broke up on the 12th and don't go back until 12th jan, score!

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

:mad:

ReputationRep:
    least it means you can find lambing with having an early easter hols! ours are first 3 weeks of april and most places have lambed by then.

nay: i have some mates at notts, various courses and 1 month hol=not fair.

ReputationRep:
    *smug* we had three last year, it's just a university wide thing that the dates happened to mean we got a month off (or something like that, i didn't listen I was too overwhelmed with joy that I'd have time to get 2 week EMS done while still having an adequate break).

Jenny, are your mates doing doing vet med/at SB or just at nottingham uni in general?

Mini blog for today: mucked out/petted some horses, came home.
    Did some coursework and various other things in the following ratio:
    facebook: eating: work
    6:3:1

ReputationRep:
    mini blog of today
    -neuroanatomy lecture, terrifieing, german lecturer who talked incredibaly fast, cramming huge volumes of totally new information into a very short time, left feeling dazed and confused and slightly traumatised....
    -introduction to Self Directed Learing Assignment (SDLA) on FIV and FeLV
    -came back gunna eat, nap, work

oh and got animal husbadry exam result woo pass!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.