The Student Room Group

How much does showering everyday for 10 minutes cost

Due to the rising energy prices my parents told me I can only shower twice a week. Since they say they it pulls the electricity.

However since the cost is now based on how much you use.

How much would myself showering for 10 minutes cost a week?
12litre per min for shower head

120litres for 10 min shower

40Wh per litre

120*40Wh is 4800 which is worst case 5000Wh which is 5kWh

34p per KWh for electric (Cheaper for gas) therefore 5*34p = £1.70 per shower which is worst case £2 if think conservatively

Social services could get involved if they are limiting you to twice a week. Alternatively you could have a 2 min shower per day which would be similar price and will do same job but won’t be as enjoyable as 10 min one
Reply 2
Original post by 3Engineer141592

40Wh per litre

34p per KWh for electric (Cheaper for gas) therefore 5*34p = £1.70 per shower which is worst case £2 if think conservatively

Social services could get involved if they are limiting you to twice a week. Alternatively you could have a 2 min shower per day which would be similar price and will do same job but won’t be as enjoyable as 10 min one

£2 a week if I use 10 minutes of shower a day for a week?
Original post by Drumx7
£2 a week if I use 10 minutes of shower a day for a week?

£2 per shower. So £14 per week.
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
£2 per shower. So £14 per week.

Thank you
Nah man, don't do that to yourself. You can get a job or something, but this sounds a bit extreme.
Original post by toxicgamage56
Nah man, don't do that to yourself. You can get a job or something, but this sounds a bit extreme.

Showering twice a week doesn't have to mean not keeping yourself clean in between...
Your parents have my sympathy to an extent. My energy bills have gone up from about 80 a month to just over 300. It is a worry.

Long showers, way over 10 mins, are a thing in this house, and all of us are going to have to be a bit conscious of our energy usage. That said, we aren’t limiting the numbers of showers but just asking everyone to be mindful of how much water and energy they are using.

Is there a middle ground to talk to them about this, recognising some of the pressures they might be under and what you can all do to help; whilst still being able to keep clean and maintain personal hygiene etc?

It doesn’t sound like they are being mean, but are perhaps just a bit worried themselves.

And thank you for the calculation. £2 for a ten minute shower, useful to know !
Original post by black tea
Showering twice a week doesn't have to mean not keeping yourself clean in between...

This sounds like it has a double meaning.
Original post by 3Engineer141592

40Wh per litre

I don't understand these calculations - I can't see why you're multiplying water usage by electricity consumption. The electricity consumption is based on the amount of time the appliance is switched on, and independent of water usage. The electricity usage is not proportionate to the water flow, as the water flow is all or nothing - if the element is 'on' and consuming power, then water is flowing through the appliance at a set, fixed rate. Thus:

A 10 minute shower for a 4kW electric shower:

10 minutes = 16\frac{1}{6} hours, thus electricity usage = 4kWh*16\frac{1}{6}h = 23\frac{2}{3}kW
Cost of electricity = 34p.kWh, thus 23\frac{2}{3}kW = 22.7p

Then, the water:

Head with 12L.min-1 flow uses 120L in 10 minutes.
Cost of water = £1.50 per m3. 1m3=1000L
Cost of water used = (120/1000)*£1.50 = 18p

Total cost of electricity and water = 22.7p +18p = 40p - not £2!
Original post by toxicgamage56
This sounds like it has a double meaning.

No? She's saying you can take a miner's bath in the sink, with a bar of soap and a flannel, you can wash your hair in the sink as well.
Original post by ROTL94 3
No? She's saying you can take a miner's bath in the sink, with a bar of soap and a flannel, you can wash your hair in the sink as well.

I was just joking around.
Fwiw you can get a free 4 minute shower timer from your water company.

You could have 5 x 4 minute showers using the same quantity of warm water as 2 x 10 minute showers.
Reply 13
Original post by Reality Check
I don't understand these calculations - I can't see why you're multiplying water usage by electricity consumption. The electricity consumption is based on the amount of time the appliance is switched on, and independent of water usage. The electricity usage is not proportionate to the water flow, as the water flow is all or nothing - if the element is 'on' and consuming power, then water is flowing through the appliance at a set, fixed rate. Thus:

A 10 minute shower for a 4kW electric shower:

10 minutes = 16\frac{1}{6} hours, thus electricity usage = 4kWh*16\frac{1}{6}h = 23\frac{2}{3}kW
Cost of electricity = 34p.kWh, thus 23\frac{2}{3}kW = 22.7p

Then, the water:

Head with 12L.min-1 flow uses 120L in 10 minutes.
Cost of water = £1.50 per m3. 1m3=1000L
Cost of water used = (120/1000)*£1.50 = 18p

Total cost of electricity and water = 22.7p +18p = 40p - not £2!

What if standing charge is 50p
you can shower with other people to lower the cost.
Original post by Drumx7
What if standing charge is 50p

Irrelevant to the calculation of how much this shower costs. Standing charges are independent of usage, and charged just for having an electricity supply to the property. The presence, or absence, of this shower has no relevance to the standing charge.

Quick Reply

Latest