The Student Room Group

Advice about unis offering Product Design BA

I’m interested in studying Product Design at Uni. I’ve got Edinburgh and Leeds on my list but would like to hear from anyone who has studied Product Design elsewhere and recommends where they went - for the course but also student life.

I’ve just dropped maths A level so I need to look at BA hons, unless there’s a BSc that doesn’t require maths A level.

I know Loughborough v highly rated but I wasn’t v taken with the campus…

Thanks!
Bournemouth (and AUB if you like the look of the BA Design course), Huddersfield, NTU (especially if you're interested in furniture), MMU, Brunel, BCU (particularly for jewellery/watch related design)....
Most of the best courses aren't in traditional universities (because most RG and similar universities don't have art schools that have a strong design focus - Edinburgh is a bit of an outlier in that respect)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Wonderland44
I’m interested in studying Product Design at Uni. I’ve got Edinburgh and Leeds on my list but would like to hear from anyone who has studied Product Design elsewhere and recommends where they went - for the course but also student life.

I’ve just dropped maths A level so I need to look at BA hons, unless there’s a BSc that doesn’t require maths A level.

Thanks!

Hi @Wonderland44

We offer BA(Hons) Product Design here at Manchester Met! You can find more information here: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/ba-product-design

Our entry requirements are 104-112 UCAS points, in addition, we require GCSE grade C/4 in English Language or equivalent, e.g. Pass in Level 2 Functional Skills English. We also ask for a portfolio as part of your application!

You can chat with some current students here: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/chatwithus If you would like to know more about university life here at Manchester Met.

We also have an open day coming up on the 26th of Novemeber, Open days are a great opportunity to meet the course tutors and some students, learn more about the university. You can register here: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/open-days/undergraduate

I hope this helps!
Original post by Wonderland44

Thanks!

Hi there I'm currently studying at University of Arts London (product and industrial design) BA and had already done a year at Brunel uni (product design) BA. Brunel's machinery and kit is great! but they have no enthusiasm anymore and dont actually teach whats important. They no longer teach welding where as UAL CSM does. Also csm is a great campus and all product design teachers wok in industry as well. Most teachers at Brunel are thinking of quitting or have no enthusiasm. one of the work experience students for product design decided to become an assistant at the uni for a year if that didn't put you off XD. Being at UAL made me realise how **** Brunel was, not in terms of kit but in terms of teaching and how the atmosphere of that place affected my work.

UAL is very creative and is in central London (kings cross). that is both a negative and positive. Accommodation at Brunel was 6k a year. where UAL is 12k a year due to London being expensive. But student finance covers u up to 12.5k if u skew the numbers right. Also you have time for a part tiem job at a restaurant or something.

UAL is hella creative which rreally helps when it comes to being inspired and it has a lower acceptance rate than Cambridge (purely because of its fashion course) but it is something to flex.

I would definitely recommend coming to check UAL in person even if it isn't for an open day, you will be taken aback.

Not sponsored by UAL or anything, just wish someone gave me this advice when I was asking your questions.

If you have any other questions, send me a message!
Original post by Manchester Metropolitan University
Hi @Wonderland44

We offer BA(Hons) Product Design here at Manchester Met! You can find more information here: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/ba-product-design

Our entry requirements are 104-112 UCAS points, in addition, we require GCSE grade C/4 in English Language or equivalent, e.g. Pass in Level 2 Functional Skills English. We also ask for a portfolio as part of your application!

You can chat with some current students here: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/chatwithus If you would like to know more about university life here at Manchester Met.

We also have an open day coming up on the 26th of Novemeber, Open days are a great opportunity to meet the course tutors and some students, learn more about the university. You can register here: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/open-days/undergraduate

I hope this helps!

Original post by Strebs64
Hi there I'm currently studying at University of Arts London (product and industrial design) BA and had already done a year at Brunel uni (product design) BA. Brunel's machinery and kit is great! but they have no enthusiasm anymore and dont actually teach whats important. They no longer teach welding where as UAL CSM does. Also csm is a great campus and all product design teachers wok in industry as well. Most teachers at Brunel are thinking of quitting or have no enthusiasm. one of the work experience students for product design decided to become an assistant at the uni for a year if that didn't put you off XD. Being at UAL made me realise how **** Brunel was, not in terms of kit but in terms of teaching and how the atmosphere of that place affected my work.

UAL is very creative and is in central London (kings cross). that is both a negative and positive. Accommodation at Brunel was 6k a year. where UAL is 12k a year due to London being expensive. But student finance covers u up to 12.5k if u skew the numbers right. Also you have time for a part tiem job at a restaurant or something.

UAL is hella creative which rreally helps when it comes to being inspired and it has a lower acceptance rate than Cambridge (purely because of its fashion course) but it is something to flex.

I would definitely recommend coming to check UAL in person even if it isn't for an open day, you will be taken aback.

Not sponsored by UAL or anything, just wish someone gave me this advice when I was asking your questions.

Ps, they don't care about maths, its about the interview and the way you think.
(Original post by Strebs64)

Original post by Strebs64

Hi! I am planning to apply in Dec for the BA industrial and product design course at CSM it is literally my dream uni and course! Do you have any advice on the portfolio, and how many projects they like to see, or what type of projects they like to see for the portfolio. I know since UAL is extremely artsy and creative, they want to see a wide range of different projects. I am currently finalising my portfolio and I am just so nervous as I really want to get in! also I was wondering what your process was like applying and what the interview was like? Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest