The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL English requirements changed?

Thanks to @JeremyStudy for bringing this up. Life science requirements for UCL have apparently just been increased. (They were apparently lower during early applications?)

I'm assuming that if your English results are even 0.5 below the requirement, your application will be disqualified? I don't want to retake IELTS because I'm only 0.5 below the threshold :cry: (0.5 individually, my overall matches)

I don't even take maths A-levels, which they prefer. Should I even bother applying at this point?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

This level 5 requirements are insane, it's even higher than English, History and Literature. Like why would such high level be required for life sciences? Plus it's changed after the early deadline and I don't understand how they could do that. For people already submitted their application, this is very unfair.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Your IELTS results are very good but I think it wouldn't be accepted for UCL Biomed. Can I know what courses and unis are you considering?
Original post by JeremyStudy
This level 5 requirements are insane, it's even higher than English, History and Literature. Like why would such high level be required for life sciences? Plus it's changed after the early deadline and I don't understand how they could do that. For people already submitted their application, this is very unfair.

I agree. Now I don't know whether I should even bother applying. Feeling very disheartened that they would do this after some people have already submitted applications. It's so unfair! :frown:
Your IELTS results are very good but I think it wouldn't be accepted for UCL Biomed. Can I know what courses and unis are you considering?

They won't consider my current IELTS results, as upsetting as that is. I was planning to apply to UCL, KCL, Birmingham, Bath and Sheffield. Now I don't know what to do. Should I just drop UCL? Paying, preparing for and attempting IELTS is by no means easy, and eats up a lot of time I would normally dedicate to exams.
Original post by sleep_supremacy
They won't consider my current IELTS results, as upsetting as that is. I was planning to apply to UCL, KCL, Birmingham, Bath and Sheffield. Now I don't know what to do. Should I just drop UCL? Paying, preparing for and attempting IELTS is by no means easy, and eats up a lot of time I would normally dedicate to exams.

I am yet to take my IELTS but it's highly probable I won't have 8 in all components. I was just about to submit my application for UCAS but I just saw that the English requirement changed. I'm considering changing my biological sciences choice to natural sciences. That may be an option to you as it also covers Biomedical Sciences. If you really want to enter UCL Biomed maybe you can retake IELTS. Otherwise, other schools or ucl natsci may be good for you.
I am yet to take my IELTS but it's highly probable I won't have 8 in all components. I was just about to submit my application for UCAS but I just saw that the English requirement changed. I'm considering changing my biological sciences choice to natural sciences. That may be an option to you as it also covers Biomedical Sciences. If you really want to enter UCL Biomed maybe you can retake IELTS. Otherwise, other schools or ucl natsci may be good for you.

I'm looking at it, but I don't know in how much detail the other portions delve in? And I'm not a fan of physics, maths or social sciences either (not that there's anything wrong with them). Kind of lost on what to do now :cry:
Just to note that you don't need the IELTS scores at the point at which you apply.

There is no harm in having an aspirational choice, (getting 5 offers back is often of no use and probably means you didn't aim high enough). If you get an offer, you can then decide whether the time/effort to retake IELTS is worth it alongside your studies. You'll usually have until mid/late August to submit them.
I'm looking at it, but I don't know in how much detail the other portions delve in? And I'm not a fan of physics, maths or social sciences either (not that there's anything wrong with them). Kind of lost on what to do now :cry:

I still think it's very unfair but there's nothing I can do... I'm quite confident I can't get 8 in both writing and speaking no matter how many times I attempt IELTS. UCL Biological Sciences was my first choice 😭
Anecdotally, IELTS scores of 8.0 overall and 8.0 in all components is a phenomenally high requirement. It's so high, I would encourage someone to pick up the phone and check whether it's a mistake or not.
Original post by Admit-One
Anecdotally, IELTS scores of 8.0 overall and 8.0 in all components is a phenomenally high requirement. It's so high, I would encourage someone to pick up the phone and check whether it's a mistake or not.

Don't have the time to make a call, but I'll definitely send a form! :smile: And yeah, 8.0 in everything seems absurdly high. So much for widening access!
Don't have the time to make a call, but I'll definitely send a form! :smile: And yeah, 8.0 in everything seems absurdly high. So much for widening access!

Widening access is for you UK students who won't need IELTS as they use GCSEs. It doesnt apply to overseas applicants nor do contextual offers. These are based on UK schools and UK postcodes.
Original post by swanseajack1
Widening access is for you UK students who won't need IELTS as they use GCSEs. It doesnt apply to overseas applicants nor do contextual offers. These are based on UK schools and UK postcodes.

I'm aware, it was a joke :wink:
It is extremely unfair for early applicants, and very unwise change of English requirements for biosciences to make so high up for international students, and it is very harmful to the reputation of UCL. I doubt there will be any international students to apply for UCL biosciences, if they don’t change the English requirements back to level 2 from level 5.
Original post by Anonymous
It is extremely unfair for early applicants, and very unwise change of English requirements for biosciences to make so high up for international students, and it is very harmful to the reputation of UCL. I doubt there will be any international students to apply for UCL biosciences, if they don’t change the English requirements back to level 2 from level 5.

yes I was just about to apply until they raised the requirement higher than literature ones. Luckily I haven't submitted it yet

if the level 5 remains I don't think there will be much international students
Has anyone actually called them?

I only emailed them but haven't got a reply yet. I'm an international student so I didn't want to call.

I only emailed them but haven't got a reply yet. I'm an international student so I didn't want to call.

I've also sent out a form, but no response so far. And yes, international calls are expensive, so I haven't called them either :redface:
I've also sent out a form, but no response so far. And yes, international calls are expensive, so I haven't called them either :redface:

I think I'd always half assumed that you were a Home student as your written English was so good :smile:

Do drop an update in the thread when you hear back as a I know a few people are annoyed by the change.
I think I'd always half assumed that you were a Home student as your written English was so good :smile:

Do drop an update in the thread when you hear back as a I know a few people are annoyed by the change.

I will take that as a compliment :smile:

I definitely will once I receive an update! :thumbsup:

Quick Reply