The Student Room Group

Surprised candidates don't lie more.

I lied on my CV & during interview to get my last job and no one ever found out. It worked out pretty well

These days most big companies outsource their vetting to 3rd parties, so as long as you are truthful when filling those vetting forms e.g 3 year background checks, then your boss will never find out.

PS only do this if the job is easy/entry level. I got hired based on my fake experience but honestly anyone with half a brain could learn it on the job.

Companies just want people to tick the experience boxes, learn how to play the recruiting game guys.
(edited 1 year ago)
lol this is funny. I never done this because I feel like id get caught. What experience did you lie about
Original post by AnnaBloveme
I lied on my CV & during interview to get my last job and no one ever found out. It worked out pretty well

These days most big companies outsource their vetting to 3rd parties, so as long as you are truthful when filling those vetting forms e.g 3 year background checks, then your boss will never find out.

PS only do this if the job is easy/entry level. I got hired based on my fake experience but honestly anyone with half a brain could learn it on the job.

Companies just want people to tick the experience boxes, learn how to play the recruiting game guys.

wow! Glad it worked out for you. But I'm so curious... what did you lie about? And what kind of role did you get? I personally could never because the fear of being caught would eat me alive lmao
Reply 3
My advice is to never lie.

Firstly, if you cannot get employed by telling the truth, then work on yourself as an individual to improve yourself. Alternatively, you may withhold information from an employer unless it is a legal requirement to provide such information, or they explicitly ask for it.

Secondly, there is also a matter of professional integrity. How would you feel trusting your colleagues to do work - which you may rely upon - if they lied about previous experience? If someone is capable of lying to an employer and risking their job (and potentially a career) in the process, what else could they lie about?

Finally, not all jobs can simply "be learned on the spot". Many jobs do actually require previous experience and/or knowledge.
my cv is full of lives and my answers to compentency questions are 80% made up. I reheased my answers so may times I believe theyre real in my head.
Original post by 0le

Firstly, if you cannot get employed by telling the truth, then work on yourself as an individual to improve yourself. Alternatively, you may withhold information from an employer unless it is a legal requirement to provide such information, or they explicitly ask for it.

Secondly, there is also a matter of professional integrity. How would you feel trusting your colleagues to do work - which you may rely upon - if they lied about previous experience? If someone is capable of lying to an employer and risking their job (and potentially a career) in the process, what else could they lie about?

Finally, not all jobs can simply "be learned on the spot". Many jobs do actually require previous experience and/or knowledge.

Many people lie/make up stuff in interviews etc. Its part of the recruitment game, you will be surprised how many do.
A lot of times when I see linkedin profiles of former colleagues it is clear that they are grossly exaggerating their experience and level of involvement in projects.
Original post by 0le

I agree.
Original post by AnnaBloveme

Personally I disagree on this, I think the key word here as been you weren't found out. If you do lie on your CV and in the interview you can set not only unrealistic expectations of you in the role but also their understanding of who you are. This can cause issue with the employer letting you leave adding a role onto your future vetting form of a role you got fired from for lying, immediate red flag!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending