The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Fluids Question

"Crude oil has a viscosity of about 0.8 Pa.s at normal temperature. A 50 km pipeline is to be constructed from an oil field to a tanker terminal. The pipeline is to deliver oil at the terminal at a rate of 50 L s-1 and the flow through the pipeline is to be laminar to minimise the pressure needed to push the fluid through the pipeline."

Someone asked this same question 8 years ago but a clear solution was not yet posted. I have tried many different approaches, e.g. using Reynolds Number Equation, Posseuille's Law, alongside the equation for flow rate and viscous force. I can't seem to find a solution that the online test will accept. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Original post by olliebouch
"Crude oil has a viscosity of about 0.8 Pa.s at normal temperature. A 50 km pipeline is to be constructed from an oil field to a tanker terminal. The pipeline is to deliver oil at the terminal at a rate of 50 L s-1 and the flow through the pipeline is to be laminar to minimise the pressure needed to push the fluid through the pipeline."

Someone asked this same question 8 years ago but a clear solution was not yet posted. I have tried many different approaches, e.g. using Reynolds Number Equation, Posseuille's Law, alongside the equation for flow rate and viscous force. I can't seem to find a solution that the online test will accept. Any guidance would be appreciated.

If your online test is over and you want to discuss the question, I believe the helper(s) is/are willing to help.
However, if you are here to request a solution to answer your online test, please think twice, as it is cheating.

Latest