The Student Room Group

I think I have an alcohol problem

I used to drink before uni but it was mostly a weekend thing and maybe like on the weekends. Got really drunk a couple of times but most of the time when I drank a lot it was with my friends. I think this was still an alcohol problem but I wasn't dependent on it at all, I went months without drinking and I felt completely fine, no urges. Moving to uni I tried to cope and I found myself staring down can after can. I drank pretty much every day for like a month and then I kind of started to moderate it a little bit. Now I'll stop drinking for a couple of days here and there but it's still kind of a problem because I can definitely feel urges within the week to drink.
You have already taken the first few steps towards improving your situation, you have acknowledged the fact that you have a problem controlling your booze consumption. :smile:
Give up all the cans.
Then restrict yourself to a 3 drink daily limit plus budget of no more than £25 a week on booze.

You can do it.
Use your common sense & willpower- to avoid slipping into an alcohol dependency that can ruin your finances, health, personality and relationships.
Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I used to drink before uni but it was mostly a weekend thing and maybe like on the weekends. Got really drunk a couple of times but most of the time when I drank a lot it was with my friends. I think this was still an alcohol problem but I wasn't dependent on it at all, I went months without drinking and I felt completely fine, no urges. Moving to uni I tried to cope and I found myself staring down can after can. I drank pretty much every day for like a month and then I kind of started to moderate it a little bit. Now I'll stop drinking for a couple of days here and there but it's still kind of a problem because I can definitely feel urges within the week to drink.

If you feel that your alcohol use is negatively impacting on your life, it could be worth seeking support for.

https://alcoholchange.org.uk/ - here you can find information and advice about changing your alcohol use, as well as sources of support.

There are some tips for reducing your alcohol use and information about the Drink Free Days app here: https://www.nhs.uk/better-health/drink-less/.

You could contact your local drug and alcohol service (how you do this will depend on where you live).

A good place to start could be keeping a drink diary, like this one to see how much you are drinking (use an online units calculator to help with this). Keep a note of what you are doing and how you are feeling when you drink to see if any patterns emerge.

If you have any questions about any of this, let me know!

Quick Reply

Latest