The Student Room Group

Applying to medicine in the US

I'm currently doing my a levels and I'm not taking chemistry, but I am taking maths, biology and psychology. Is it still possible to do medicine in the US?
How are you going to pay for this.......?
Yes if your dad is Jeff bezos
Tuition fees alone will cost you about £55,000 A YEAR.
Reply 4
Original post by Faisal101
Yes if your dad is Jeff bezos

Original post by McGinger
Tuition fees alone will cost you about £55,000 A YEAR.

Original post by McGinger
How are you going to pay for this.......?

lmao I didn't really think about how expensive it would be, but I would probably be in debt for the rest of my life
I really want to medicine though and I feel like I closed a lot of doors to that because of my lack of chemistry and I read that you don't need chemistry in the US as you have to do a course for four years and then do medicine, but I wasn't sure if that was true or if chemistry still mattered. The debt will be huge, but at least I may open some kind of door
Original post by Suravi22
The debt will be huge

And you will have to pay it upfront - UK Student Finance are not going to fund this for you.
lmao I didn't really think about how expensive it would be, but I would probably be in debt for the rest of my life
I really want to medicine though and I feel like I closed a lot of doors to that because of my lack of chemistry and I read that you don't need chemistry in the US as you have to do a course for four years and then do medicine, but I wasn't sure if that was true or if chemistry still mattered. The debt will be huge, but at least I may open some kind of door

There are unis in uk that don’t need chem for medicine. Southampton for example
first of all medicine is not an undergraduate degree in the US. prospective med students typically take certain courses in their undergraduate degree and then apply towards the end of the first four years. then you have another roughly four years of med school, followed by residency etc.

if you're low-middle income the most selective US universities can and do give generous financial aid to undergraduates (i refer you to the sutton trust us programme), but med school will be extremely expensive.

a way more painless option is to either study Chemistry A-level or apply to UK med schools that don't require Chemistry :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Original post by vapordave
first of all medicine is not an undergraduate degree in the US. prospective med students typically take certain courses in their undergraduate degree and then apply towards the end of the first four years. then you have another roughly four years of med school, followed by residency etc.

if you're low-middle income the most selective US universities can and do give generous financial aid to undergraduates (i refer you to the sutton trust us programme), but med school will be extremely expensive.

a way more painless option is to either study Chemistry A-level or apply to UK med schools that don't require Chemistry :smile:

Thank you! I've been looking and the med schools are very expensive in the US. I might just. apply for the fun of it as I don't have to accept and then at least I gave it a try. Seems like even more school though since it's not an undergraduate course so that might not be worth it either.
It's too late for me to take chemistry a-level. I plan on applying to the uk medical schools that don't require chemistry so hopefully that works out.
Reply 9
Original post by Faisal101
There are unis in uk that don’t need chem for medicine. Southampton for example

There actually seem to be quite a few unis that don't requires chemistry so I hopefully have a chance if I do very well in my a-levels and the UCAT
Thank you! I've been looking and the med schools are very expensive in the US. I might just. apply for the fun of it as I don't have to accept and then at least I gave it a try. Seems like even more school though since it's not an undergraduate course so that might not be worth it either.
It's too late for me to take chemistry a-level. I plan on applying to the uk medical schools that don't require chemistry so hopefully that works out.

i'd definitely encourage applying to the US if you feel the system is a good fit for you :smile: feel free to shoot any questions about that my way as i know quite a bit about the process.

are you in year 12? if so, it's not *too* late if you do some pleading with your school, but you will have to do some catching up.
Medicine in the US is only available as a postgraduate degree.

So get a degree first.
Original post by artful_lounger

So get a degree first.

Just to add that OP will have to study a premed undergraduate degree in the US first and admission into medicine is not guaranteed after completing premed.
Reply 13
Original post by vapordave
i'd definitely encourage applying to the US if you feel the system is a good fit for you :smile: feel free to shoot any questions about that my way as i know quite a bit about the process.

are you in year 12? if so, it's not *too* late if you do some pleading with your school, but you will have to do some catching up.

Thanks for all the help! Reading some of the stuff about medicine only being a postgraduate degree it seems like a lot of extra work to do medicine in the US so I'm probably going to keep it as back up for now. Do you know if I would have to do my SATs and the ACT to get into an undergraduate course?
I am, but I tried asking my school and they've sadly already denied me :frown: My school's grade requirement for chemistry a-level is pretty high and i tried asking because I was one grade off, but they still said no. I think I'm just going to focus on getting good predicted grades and a very good UCAT score and then I'll apply to med schools that don't require chemistry.
Reply 14
Original post by artful_lounger

So get a degree first.

Original post by hungrysalamander
Just to add that OP will have to study a premed undergraduate degree in the US first and admission into medicine is not guaranteed after completing premed.

Definitely seems like a lot of added work especially if I'm not guaranteed an admission in medicine after
Thanks for all the help! Reading some of the stuff about medicine only being a postgraduate degree it seems like a lot of extra work to do medicine in the US so I'm probably going to keep it as back up for now. Do you know if I would have to do my SATs and the ACT to get into an undergraduate course?
I am, but I tried asking my school and they've sadly already denied me :frown: My school's grade requirement for chemistry a-level is pretty high and i tried asking because I was one grade off, but they still said no. I think I'm just going to focus on getting good predicted grades and a very good UCAT score and then I'll apply to med schools that don't require chemistry.

most colleges (except for notably MIT, Georgetown and Georgia Tech) have a test-optional policy, but it would be good for you to take the SAT/ACT (they're interchangeable) at least once. additionally to be competitive you should have excellent grades (9-7 at GCSE and AAA+ at A-level) and involvement in at least something outside going to lessons. applying to the US for undergrad is a very involved process and it's not really a backup option.

that's a good idea :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending