The Student Room Group

Great Gatsby/The little stranger coursework help.

For my coursework I'm writing on class dominance in the novels and those time periods, if anyone could shed any light or give me a hand with this it would be much appreciated. I just need some ideas, thanks.
Reply 1
I don’t know ‘The Little Stranger’ but I did do The Great Gatsby at A-level which is what I imagine you are doing too?

So I can help a bit with The Great Gatsby. The whole book is about the class system really with the east egg and west egg divide. It’s in reference to how in the 1920’s America’s society was emerging from ‘old money’ family’s such as Daisy’s into a new class system of ‘new money’ such as Gatsby. Despite old money and new money being the same level of wealth, they will never be on the level of society of old money. Old money comes with a level of societal power and influence that new money can’t achieve because well, it’s new. This is one of the main reasons Daisy and Gatsby will never be together, she is such a old money spoilt girl and though Gatsby thrills her, he isn’t from her class system and she will never be able to look past that.

If you need some more ideas lemme know, I didn’t want to spam you with a giant text wall. Also my opinions maybe slightly biased as I don’t like book ahaha. It’s a great book to analyse but I think all the characters are bad people and it drove me insane ahaha.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by LaFoll
I don’t know ‘The Little Stranger’ but I did do The Great Gatsby at A-level which is what I imagine you are doing too?

So I can help a bit with The Great Gatsby. The whole book is about the class system really with the east egg and west egg divide. It’s in reference to how in the 1920’s America’s society was emerging from ‘old money’ family’s such as Daisy’s into a new class system of ‘new money’ such as Gatsby. Despite old money and new money being the same level of wealth, they will never be on the level of society of old money. Old money comes with a level of societal power and influence that new money can’t achieve because well, it’s new. This is one of the main reasons Daisy and Gatsby will never be together, she is such a old money spoilt girl and though Gatsby thrills her, he isn’t from her class system and she will never be able to look past that.

If you need some more ideas lemme know, I didn’t want to spam you with a giant text wall. Also my opinions maybe slightly biased as I don’t like book ahaha. It’s a great book to analyse but I think all the characters are bad people and it drove me insane ahaha.

Thanks so much for the help!!! And yeah any ideas you have would be much appreciated!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest