The Student Room Group

uni of lincoln or uni of southampton? (psychology)

hi! i’m hoping someone will be able to help. i’m struggling to pick out a favourite university out of southampton and lincoln, and i was wondering if anyone can give me their opinion, experience or advice :smile:
i’ve listed some of my own personal pros & cons for each one

lincoln pros: lovely campus, has everything i want facilities wise, good SU, on site accommodation

lincoln cons: not as high ranking in table leagues as southampton, lincoln is quite isolated so quite worried about night life or getting bored :smile:

southampton pros: great night life, near town, lovely campus, lots to do, free bus pass, high rankings and russell group university

southampton cons: less focus on a placement year, accommodation is not on site, i’m not sure what faculties they have for psychology? (e.g building wise, EEG, children observation rooms) and i’m not sure how far the bus pass can take me

any advice at all would be really great :smile:
I think you should not be looking at how high a university is ranked, as that is not a great indicator of how good It is for what you want to study. Soton is ranked high as it's a founding member of the Russell Group and has very strong Comp Sci/ Marine stuff/ Engineering departments, but you need to make sure it's strong in what you want to do. To me, it seems like you're really interested in Lincoln and Southampton appeals you only because of the ranking... Make a choice based on Psychology and not rankings!
Original post by elllllllieeeee
I think you should not be looking at how high a university is ranked, as that is not a great indicator of how good It is for what you want to study. Soton is ranked high as it's a founding member of the Russell Group and has very strong Comp Sci/ Marine stuff/ Engineering departments, but you need to make sure it's strong in what you want to do. To me, it seems like you're really interested in Lincoln and Southampton appeals you only because of the ranking... Make a choice based on Psychology and not rankings!

Quality advice. Also, Southampton and Lincoln are in two completely different parts of the country.
Original post by jessssss19
hi! i’m hoping someone will be able to help. i’m struggling to pick out a favourite university out of southampton and lincoln, and i was wondering if anyone can give me their opinion, experience or advice :smile:

lincoln pros: lovely campus, has everything i want facilities wise, good SU, on site accommodation

lincoln cons: not as high ranking in table leagues as southampton, lincoln is quite isolated so quite worried about night life or getting bored :smile:

southampton pros: great night life, near town, lovely campus, lots to do, free bus pass, high rankings and russell group university

southampton cons: less focus on a placement year, accommodation is not on site, i’m not sure what faculties they have for psychology? (e.g building wise, EEG, children observation rooms) and i’m not sure how far the bus pass can take me

I can only speak on behalf of Southampton but the Soton halls are 15-20 mins walk away at most (unless you choose to stay in Mayflower which are in the city centre) and there are busses from Wessex Lane which get you to campus in <10 mins and run every 5 minutes. The bus pass gives you access to all Unilink busses which basically covers the entirety of Southampton and can also get you as far as Winchester.
Reply 4
Original post by elllllllieeeee

thank you! that’s really helpful :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Quality advice. Also, Southampton and Lincoln are in two completely different parts of the country.

that’s fine tbh, i’ve been looking at unis all over the country, i just want to find one that suits me the best and have found southampton & lincoln seem to fit that the most
Reply 6
Original post by DocsAnalyst
I can only speak on behalf of Southampton but the Soton halls are 15-20 mins walk away at most (unless you choose to stay in Mayflower which are in the city centre) and there are busses from Wessex Lane which get you to campus in <10 mins and run every 5 minutes. The bus pass gives you access to all Unilink busses which basically covers the entirety of Southampton and can also get you as far as Winchester.

thanks very much! in your experience what is uni life/accommodation like to you? it seems lovely with loads and clubs and libraries and stuff, which is one of the main reasons it’s one of my choices
(edited 1 year ago)

Hi Jess,

I am a third year student at lincoln and just thought I would respond. Just thought I'd say while lincoln is quite small I personally find that the social life is great. There are lots of places to go out and a variety of different themed pubs and clubs which is great! Aside from that there is also loads to do in the day from virtual golf, to go karting to cat/dog cafe's and bowling as well as some nature parks too.

I would say in terms of ranking only you can decided how important that is, I personally looked at some higher and lower ranking universities but ultimately chose here based on the vibe of the university and the amazing staff and facilities. Not to mention the physcology degree is accredited by the british physcology society, accredited degrees are great as they follow guidelines from the accrediting body and is one of the reasons I chose lincoln because mine is too.

Hope this helps
Harriet
3rd year biomedical science
thanks very much! in your experience what is uni life/accommodation like to you? it seems lovely with loads and clubs and libraries and stuff, which is one of the main reasons it’s one of my choices

I’ve hated being at university but I expect your experience will be far more positive than mine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending