Where the hell can I get Fish and Chips? Watch

Nebuduck
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So, I'm a fresher. I came here 5 or 6 weeks ago (don't remember exactly how long) and thought "This place is great!". I have since come to realise, however, that it is in fact hell on earth.

Why? It's not the work, or the relentless lifestyle - I can manage those. It's the fact that I simply cannot find anywhere to buy decent fish and chips. What kind of a city is this? The closest I've found is Gardis' which seems to consist of flavourless white mush, in flavourless cardboard, served with flavourless french fries.

Any suggestions anyone?
CHAMON
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Get some cod and flip it in batter, peels some tatties and throw them into the fryer! Let your love flow....
MC REN
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There is one by the Grafton, and maybe one on the way to the Junction

But yer, it sucks. Gardies is alright though...
groovy_moose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Histon Road is the best i've come across - there used to be one Hills Road way, but i thnk it isn't anymore, Mill Road quite possibly has one.

I am completely with you btw; what kind of an english town doesn't have a proper chip shop in the center?!
Zhen Lin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Emma seems to serve reasonable fish and chips every few days...
Chewwy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Fagitos. end of thread.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's a quite good one out on Milton Rd, IIRC. There's another one near my house, but that's a bit of a trek for most of you guys!
Supermerp
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fumblewomble)
ABC Bar-B-Q on Mill Road
is awesome.
TheMeister
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what city do you live in?
TableChair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fumblewomble)
You can get fish and chips at ABC Bar-B-Q on Mill Road. It's the other side of the railway bridge and along a bit but before you get to the Co-Op.
It closed last year and it's now a cyber cafe... plus it was pretty crap.

OP the only decent one I've found is by the grafton, but it has really weird opening times, I think the person who owns it just opens it for a couple of hours whenever they get bored.
h82think
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I actually suggest buying: Youngs Chip Shop Haddock Fillets 500g http://www.sainsburys.com/groceries/...tion_frame.jsp

and McCains oven chips

It is cheaper than buying from a chip shop, and it is really tasty
Supergrunch
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
People have said Fagitos is good for such things, which is apparently in the vicinity of Mill Road. Never been there though.
Tom
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chewwy)
Fagitos. end of thread.
:ditto:

Seriously, you can close the thread. That's the answer, right there

It's at the start of Mill Road, on the right
SunderX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There are various kebab shops that do it on Mill Road, (if you're near the south east part of town) and another kebab shop which I can't vouch for yet on Histon Road, on the way to Aldi's in the north-west.

If I were you, the best bet would possibly to get fish and chips as a pub lunch in one of the hilariously many pubs in Cambridge. Probably similar price, and probably tastes better.
Fixesin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Or you could eat something that isnt covered with batter and fried in a deep oblivion of high cholesterol and calories of which that is oil... say a salad? or anything else really that isnt deep fried.
But saying i'm being a hypocrite because i do enjoy a good fish and chips every so often....
Scipio90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fixesin)
Or you could eat something that isnt covered with batter and fried in a deep oblivion of high cholesterol and calories of which that is oil... say a salad? or anything else really that isnt deep fried.
But saying i'm being a hypocrite because i do enjoy a good fish and chips every so often....
I commend the usefulness of your post.
Fixesin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Scipio90)
I commend the usefulness of your post.
Cheers :p:

Anyway... i'd make fish and chips myself if there weren't any decent shops out there... You could easily buy some frozen battered cod that you could fry yourself or oven cook... and chips are fairly easy. Fish and chips are honestly not hard to make. Making good fish and chips however is a slightly different matter.
The West Wing
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We don't have ovens
Scipio90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The West Wing)
We don't have ovens
Same here. I don't think I'd make major use of them, but I can see lots of useful occasional uses.
groovy_moose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Besides which, any one saying that you should get McCains, or pub chips, is just completely missing the point - they're just not the same as deep fried bits of potato that haven't been smushed about and shaped... Just a slice of potato and lots of oil is all that is required...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (40)
27.78%
No - I got the required grades (86)
59.72%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (18)
12.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed