Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm a fresher. I came here 5 or 6 weeks ago (don't remember exactly how long) and thought "This place is great!". I have since come to realise, however, that it is in fact hell on earth.

Why? It's not the work, or the relentless lifestyle - I can manage those. It's the fact that I simply cannot find anywhere to buy decent fish and chips. What kind of a city is this? The closest I've found is Gardis' which seems to consist of flavourless white mush, in flavourless cardboard, served with flavourless french fries.

Any suggestions anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Get some cod and flip it in batter, peels some tatties and throw them into the fryer! Let your love flow....

ReputationRep:
    There is one by the Grafton, and maybe one on the way to the Junction

But yer, it sucks. Gardies is alright though...

ReputationRep:
    Histon Road is the best i've come across - there used to be one Hills Road way, but i thnk it isn't anymore, Mill Road quite possibly has one.

I am completely with you btw; what kind of an english town doesn't have a proper chip shop in the center?!

ReputationRep:
    Emma seems to serve reasonable fish and chips every few days...

ReputationRep:
    Fagitos. end of thread.

ReputationRep:
    There's a quite good one out on Milton Rd, IIRC. There's another one near my house, but that's a bit of a trek for most of you guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fumblewomble)
    ABC Bar-B-Q on Mill Road
    is awesome.

ReputationRep:
    what city do you live in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fumblewomble)
    You can get fish and chips at ABC Bar-B-Q on Mill Road. It's the other side of the railway bridge and along a bit but before you get to the Co-Op.
    It closed last year and it's now a cyber cafe... plus it was pretty crap.

OP the only decent one I've found is by the grafton, but it has really weird opening times, I think the person who owns it just opens it for a couple of hours whenever they get bored.

ReputationRep:
    I actually suggest buying: Youngs Chip Shop Haddock Fillets 500g http://www.sainsburys.com/groceries/...tion_frame.jsp

and McCains oven chips

It is cheaper than buying from a chip shop, and it is really tasty

ReputationRep:
    People have said Fagitos is good for such things, which is apparently in the vicinity of Mill Road. Never been there though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewwy)
    Fagitos. end of thread.
    :ditto:

Seriously, you can close the thread. That's the answer, right there

It's at the start of Mill Road, on the right

ReputationRep:
    There are various kebab shops that do it on Mill Road, (if you're near the south east part of town) and another kebab shop which I can't vouch for yet on Histon Road, on the way to Aldi's in the north-west.

If I were you, the best bet would possibly to get fish and chips as a pub lunch in one of the hilariously many pubs in Cambridge. Probably similar price, and probably tastes better.

ReputationRep:
    Or you could eat something that isnt covered with batter and fried in a deep oblivion of high cholesterol and calories of which that is oil... say a salad? or anything else really that isnt deep fried.
    But saying i'm being a hypocrite because i do enjoy a good fish and chips every so often....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fixesin)
    Or you could eat something that isnt covered with batter and fried in a deep oblivion of high cholesterol and calories of which that is oil... say a salad? or anything else really that isnt deep fried.
    But saying i'm being a hypocrite because i do enjoy a good fish and chips every so often....
    I commend the usefulness of your post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    I commend the usefulness of your post.
    Cheers :p:

Anyway... i'd make fish and chips myself if there weren't any decent shops out there... You could easily buy some frozen battered cod that you could fry yourself or oven cook... and chips are fairly easy. Fish and chips are honestly not hard to make. Making good fish and chips however is a slightly different matter.

ReputationRep:
    We don't have ovens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    We don't have ovens
    Same here. I don't think I'd make major use of them, but I can see lots of useful occasional uses.

ReputationRep:
    Besides which, any one saying that you should get McCains, or pub chips, is just completely missing the point - they're just not the same as deep fried bits of potato that haven't been smushed about and shaped... Just a slice of potato and lots of oil is all that is required...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.