This discussion is closed.
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
At the moment I shop at Sainsbury's.

The only other local supermarket is ASDA, and my mum had three bad shops in a row there; everything having to be thrown away for going manky, etc., so now we only go to Sainsbury's.

It's not that expensive.
roff
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Neither is Waitrose really, I think it is all a bit exaggerated and too many people are trying to save 1p when they forget that is all it is: 1p
bOdOING2
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
I LOATHE Tescos....nasty nasty shop - too full of stuff and in every single one near me the acoustics are terrible....I spend the time shopping having to shout to be heard and shouting makes me angry so I end up stressed. The extra couple of pence it costs in sainsburys is well worth it for my sanity....plus I've found that the stuff I tend to buy tends to be more expensive in tescos than sainsburys (Orangina 2l bottle - 30p difference!!!!!!).

I get the bulk of my food from these bods though: http://www.abel-cole.co.uk I'll get home this evening to a box of free range organic mince (minced in a mincer not in some weird factory) that will be meat coloured and not luminous red, some free range organic pork chops whic taste fantastic, organic bread cooked in a wood fired oven and that doesn't go mouldy after a few days, eggs, milk and cheese that taste amazing, and a bunch of lovely veges/fruit that I don't have to peel to remove the pesticides Oh and they do a full range of ecover cleaning/washing products as well so I can get biological POWDER and not just the scanky tablets

I'd rather pay a bit more and enjoy my food for where it's come from as much for how it tastes
Jus had a glanc on the site... its organic and im sure its better quility etc but its like 3 times more expensive! Sure go for it if ur house is plated with gold, but a hell of alot of ppl cant afford the prices on there!

Look at this:
Beef fillet (whole)
1.0kg avg

£41.00 per kg

OMG OMG!!!
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ramroff)
Neither is Waitrose really, I think it is all a bit exaggerated and too many people are trying to save 1p when they forget that is all it is: 1p

Well, it can be sometimes a bit more, but you certainly get what you pay for. I think for a weekly shop, I would go to somewhere like Tesco or Sainsbury's, but for popping in for dinners in the evening, I wouldn't mind popping into Waitrose.

I think the extra profit goes into trolley maintenance. The trolleys are so smooth. They glide...

I don't often go to Waitrose; there's not one near me. The last one I went to was in canary Wharf. I forget why I was there.
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bOdOING2)
Jus had a glanc on the site... its organic and im sure its better quility etc but its like 3 times more expensive! Sure go for it if ur house is plated with gold, but a hell of alot of ppl cant afford the prices on there!

Look at this:
Beef fillet (whole)
1.0kg avg

£41.00 per kg

OMG OMG!!!

Surely if you've just paid to gold plate your house you'll have less money...?
bOdOING2
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hayley...)
Surely if you've just paid to gold plate your house you'll have less money...?
But more gold!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Jus had a glanc on there... its organic and im sure its better but its like 3 times more expensive! Sure go for it if ur house is plated with gold, but a hell of alot of ppl cant afford the prices on there!
It isn't that expensive...because we tend to use everything that we buy (instead of letting it go manky or the old BOGOF freeze and forget mistake) it's costing us maybe £5 more a week between the 2 of us.

Personally I prefer to put my money where my mouth is when it comes to animal welfare and paying the farmers that produce my food enough to live on....I'd rather not contribute to the syphoning off of profits and the price fixing and general shafting of british farmers that makes supermarket food so cheap
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Look at this:
Beef fillet (whole)
1.0kg avg

£41.00 per kg

OMG OMG!!!
yup - if you buy the 21 day steak from sainsbury's you'll pay a similar price - the meat from abel and cole is hung for 3-4 weeks.

500g of mince was only £2.50 a pack over the whole of december - that's 30-50p more than the bargain stuff at most supermarkets - and the meat is better quality, the animals have been treated well AND the farmers are recieving a reasonable income for their efforts. Organic mince from sainsburys is £1.99 per 500g....I pay 50p more and it's the better butchered/hung meat AND it's delivered for free

"Our beef is from Wootton Organic in Staffordshire. Wootton are relatively new to organic meat, although the estate has long been home to livestock. They started farming organically a decade ago, and invested a great deal of time, money and expertise to meet and exceed Soil Association standards. Their animals are prepared entirely on-site, removing the need for transportation of livestock, which causes stress to the animals."
Find me a joint from tesco with those credentials and I'll pay you £40 a kg for it .
bOdOING2
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
yup - if you buy the 21 day steak from sainsbury's you'll pay a similar price - the meat from abel and cole is hung for 3-4 weeks.

500g of mince was only £2.50 a pack over the whole of december - that's 30-50p more than the bargain stuff at most supermarkets - and the meat is better quality, the animals have been treated well AND the farmers are recieving a reasonable income for their efforts.
I see ur point, the supermarket food, especially the meat does have a weird, nasty taste to it... Sounds gd actually! I'd like to give it a try, but jus cant afford it... ummmmm maybe wen my stu loan comes through... :rolleyes:
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I see ur point, the supermarket food, especially the meat does have a weird, nasty taste to it... Sounds gd actually! I'd like to give it a try, but jus cant afford it... ummmmm maybe wen my stu loan comes through... :rolleyes:
I couldn't afford it as a student....but once I was in a position where I had a reasonable amount of money to spend on food each week I made the choice to use my money to further the principles I believe in*

*and it does taste lush
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by pig)
I find Tesco has the best looking checkout girls.
My Waitrose takes that one. Full of fit birds.

We always seem to go to Tescos, though. I'm not rich enough to go to Waitrose. I feel so neglected.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Depends on the size. If it was a massive one somerfields have the best veggie and healthy eating range. However their medium or small stores tend to have little or no veggie stuff in which case I would go to Tesco.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hayley...)
I don't often go to Waitrose; there's not one near me. The last one I went to was in canary Wharf. I forget why I was there.
That's the one we go to it - I love it! Especially all the food and wine tastings they have in store
Mrs_F
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I shop at Asda simply because it is the only supermarket within 5 miles off where I live. Shop at Morrison's when we go further afield.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I buy most of my veg from the market and from the organic grocery. I get all my eggs free range from the organic shop because the eggs are from a local farm. i don't trust supermarket organic and free range.
I buy my veggie substitute stuff from tesco at home at the moment and cart it up to sheffield because I don't have transport and all the places with decent selection are miles away. I am also starting to buy organic milk locally but when that runs out I still run the the supermarket. PQ that store looks good wish it delivered in my area. One of the reasons I became veggie was because of the quality and treatment of meat in supermarkets.
I tried using organic washing stuff but it gave me allergies haven't yet found anything to beat arial...
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
We have Europes largest tesco just down the road from us... it is MASSIVE. A weekly shop however takes 3 to 4 hours though :mad: It is impossible to do a quick shop there just because of the sheer size!
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
I LOATHE Tescos....nasty nasty shop - too full of stuff and in every single one near me the acoustics are terrible....I spend the time shopping having to shout to be heard and shouting makes me angry so I end up stressed. The extra couple of pence it costs in sainsburys is well worth it for my sanity....plus I've found that the stuff I tend to buy tends to be more expensive in tescos than sainsburys (Orangina 2l bottle - 30p difference!!!!!!).

I get the bulk of my food from these bods though: http://www.abel-cole.co.uk I'll get home this evening to a box of free range organic mince (minced in a mincer not in some weird factory) that will be meat coloured and not luminous red, some free range organic pork chops whic taste fantastic, organic bread cooked in a wood fired oven and that doesn't go mouldy after a few days, eggs, milk and cheese that taste amazing, and a bunch of lovely veges/fruit that I don't have to peel to remove the pesticides Oh and they do a full range of ecover cleaning/washing products as well so I can get biological POWDER and not just the scanky tablets

I'd rather pay a bit more and enjoy my food for where it's come from as much for how it tastes

What day am i coming round for dinner again? :p:
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
That's the one we go to it - I love it! Especially all the food and wine tastings they have in store

It's great!

Mingling with bank execs and senior editors from The Mirror as you pick up some insanely posh sounding sandwich for lunch. Marble all over the shop.

And you must know what I mean about the gliding trolleys there! (Just in case Canary Wharf is a one off freak shop where you can actually push the trolley)

(I've remembered why I was in Canary Wharf. To ride the DLR.)
F1 fanatic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
Here is a hypothetical question. If you happened to live near a large retail park which had one of each of the large supermarket chains, which one would you choose to shop in and why?
Why restrict yourself to one supermarket? Id just go to all of them depending on what I wanted. Bread from Morrisons, frozen from Tescos etc etc...

It would be so cool if they were all in 1 retail park. Imagine how cheap everything would be as they compete against each other. It would be a full on trade war. You could practically be paid to take things away
It really would be THE best place for petrol! :driver:

Would they stop you going in if you had bags from another shop do you think? :confused:
Pencil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Tesco, because I work there and get a staff discount.

If I worked elsewhere, I would shop at the Co-Op.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads