Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi boys and girls,

I'm currently going through the application process to join the RAF as a Survival Equipment Fitter.

I've already passed my AST and Interview and have my medical/fitness test on the 26th of this month, :woo:

Providing I pass this does anyone have an idea from the top of their head when my pre-RTC and RTC will be??

I know I can't get a certain answer, was just curious on what the time scale maybe or if anyone knows when the intake dates are etc

Anyway enough rambling, any help would be great.

Cheers

CBA
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Can't tell you the date, but the principle is that you get called to Pre RTC not less than 6 weeks before your RTC date and your RTC date is timed to end a couple of weeks prior to your professional training (ideally).

So if there is only one Squipper course per year and it starts in November, you might be waiting a while, but if there is a Squipper course every month you might get a date very soon. I suspect that there are probably 1 or 2 Squipper courses per year but absolutely no idea when they start

ReputationRep:
    There are never a great deal of parachute-sewers at Cosford, but at a guess from what I saw of them I'd say maybe ~3-4 courses start each year, it's not a big trade so unfortunately Phase II courses for you guys don't begin too frequently, unlike say AMMs where a new bunch turn up every 20 seconds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AC Bloggs)
    unlike say AMMs where a new bunch turn up every 20 seconds.
    They've taken it down to every 10 seconds now haven't they?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, Cheers guys.

Looks like I may have a bit of a wait then eh!

Gutted

ReputationRep:
    I think a new squipper course started 2 weeks ago, and judging by the amount of squipper's at cosford, I would say there is no more than 3 courses there. So taking a massive guess I would say squipper courses start about every 4 or 5 months so the next one would probably be februrary, and then june. Thats not gen though!!!

ReputationRep:
    Sods law that I just miss one, lol

Guess all I can really do is just wait and see....and hope

ReputationRep:
    You could be on the June one providing your application goes the same way mine did (and providing i've got the dates near enough right!) I had my PRTC and RTC dates the day after my med and fitness

ReputationRep:
    I got my fitness and medical both on the same day, 26th Nov, so I guess providing all goes well I'm pretty much over the big obstacles during the recruitment.

All I'll need to do is Pre-RTC and the confirmation interview....and I guess I’m pretty much in….again if all goes well of course!

ReputationRep:
    well PRTC is meant to happen 6 weeks before your actual recruit training course, however this is not always the case. If there is an opening, and your P2 training would start within a month of the finishing date, you could be at RTS in as little as a week of completing PRTC. I know that was the case with some RAFP that were on my intake.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.