Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have come accross this question a few times now and would like to know what would be the reason for guys over here wanting to join the RAF?

Is it just a career? a dream or do you want to acieve something or just because it would be "cool" in the uniforms?

Just asking I am curious.

ReputationRep:
    Ladies love a man in uniform!!

ReputationRep:
    i like the idea of being a Wing Commander

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Can Do Attitude)
    Ladies love a man in uniform!!
    I already have one at home lol .. what else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newboyintown)
    I already have one at home lol .. what else?

Ah yes but is it a sexy blue RAF uniform?

oh and that and it's a job with a difference, see the world, meet different cultures etc etc

Beats sitting behind my desk at work right now typing this too!! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaaaaaaargh!)

RAF beats Army and Navy (From a purely unbias opinion...)
    Certainly does.

The first independent Air Force (beat that :woo: )

ReputationRep:
    hmm, I may be getting this wrong but wasn't the RAF an amalgamation of the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service in 1918...therefore making the Royal Navy Air Force being around longer than the RAF??

By all means please correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm just thinking outloud

ReputationRep:
    hmm, I may be getting this wrong but wasn't the RAF an amalgamation of the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service in 1918...therefore making the Royal Navy Air Force being around longer than the RAF??

By all means please correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm just thinking outloud
    RNAS (Royal Navy Air Service) was not a independent Air Force, it was an Air Wing of the Royal Navy (who are not Air Force). Do I make any sense!

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as the RNAF - it's the Fleet Air Arm. And the rather is the junior service of all three.

ReputationRep:
    So am I right in thinking then that the AAC is also not an Air Force??

ReputationRep:
    So am I right in thinking then that the AAC is also not an Air Force??
    Correct, the clue is in the name.

ReputationRep:
    Are you joining newboyintown?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    Are you joining newboyintown?
    Yep my friend. At the moment browsing on the RAF site for info, taking notes on my tiny notebook bla bla bla.. I didn't study this hard for my degree argh.

Hate history
    Like aircrafts

Where abouts in Scotland are you at ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newboyintown)
    Yep my friend. At the moment browsing on the RAF site for info, taking notes on my tiny notebook bla bla bla.. I didn't study this hard for my degree argh.

Hate history
    Like aircrafts

Where abouts in Scotland are you at ?

Dundee too. I'm in for weapons tech, pending security clearance and final interview.

If your filter interview is anything like my interview was, if you've done just even a tiny bit of preparation you have nothing to worry about. But then again I've not met the CO, so he might give you a real grilling. Theo1977 is also from Dundee, he went through OASC too.

ReputationRep:
    Dundee too. I'm in for weapons tech, pending security clearance and final interview.

If your filter interview is anything like my interview was, if you've done just even a tiny bit of preparation you have nothing to worry about. But then again I've not met the CO, so he might give you a real grilling. Theo1977 is also from Dundee, he went through OASC too.

Lucky guys. I was told that the CO is quite a guy. Very tough. He gave us a 4 hour long presentation. And I think I used 10 pages just to take notes then. So you can imagine.

But the presentation was great I must say. With some luck I might pass the grilling. Again can't be so sure.

ReputationRep:
    he
    Guess again.:p:

newboyintown - the Dundee AFCO will really look after you, but you do need to show you're putting the effort in. If you're working hard at it, they appear very willing to go out of their way to give you as much extra help as possible. Take them up on it when they do that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theo1977)
    Guess again.:p:

newboyintown - the Dundee AFCO will really look after you, but you do need to show you're putting the effort in. If you're working hard at it, they appear very willing to go out of their way to give you as much extra help as possible. Take them up on it when they do that!

Hi Theo1977,

I think they are genuinely nice guys over there. I remember the first day I had a chat with the OC outside the Overgate and he was very helpful and told me what i could go for. The Corporal was a good chat as well.

So many of may mates said that there presentation lasted only for an hour or so and our one was for 4 hours. So I gathered that the information the CO was giving was for a good reason hence I am also trying to gather as much info as possible to make a good impression.

The only problem is while I am reading something I can remember dates, sqn names, everything about the aircrafts, but as soon as I start doing something thats it - the memory starts playing a dirty game with me. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    It'll sink in eventually, just keep going over things. You'll probably find that you've studied more than you needed to - I know I did pre filter.

ReputationRep:
    Well you have brought me to the right place GR29KHS, ever so grateful to you for that. I'll have to give you a treat if I pass the OASC.

ReputationRep:
    cheers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.