Turn on thread page Beta

Should people be allowed water features in their garden? watch

ReputationRep:
    If the constant distal sound of it annoys their neighbour?

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    dont camp in your garden if you dont want to hear their water feature

ReputationRep:
    Yes, to find the sound of a water feature that annoying you'd have to have anger issues.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the water feature. If it's stone, I highly doubt it can really be that annoying — but some silly aluminium features can be very noisy.

it'll be pretty ironic is someone here says "no, they shouldn't be allowed" as the shops will still be selling 'em. it's like smoking - the government is encouraging not to smoke, don't buy those death sticks, yet the shops are still blatantly selling it. :rolleyes: anyway, if the neighbours don't like the sound of it, they should move, should impose a ban on buying water feature :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oladz)
    dont camp in your garden if you dont want to hear their water feature
    What if you're bedroom backs onto it and you have to completely shut your wondow in order to not hear it?

ReputationRep:
    Whose garden? THEIR garden

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    it'll be pretty ironic is someone here says "no, they shouldn't be allowed" as the shops will still be selling 'em. it's like smoking - the government is encouraging not to smoke, don't buy those death sticks, yet the shops are still blatantly selling it. :rolleyes: anyway, if the neighbours don't like the sound of it, they should move, should impose a ban on buying water feature :p:
    What if they have lived there for 20 years and suddenly this neighbour moves next door with annoying windchimes and a water feature constantly on all day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Snips)
    Whose garden? THEIR garden

/thread
    Doesn't make any difference whose garden its in lol it can still be heard.

ReputationRep:
    if its really that loud, complain to your council about noise pollution!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostintime)
    What if you're bedroom backs onto it and you have to completely shut your wondow in order to not hear it?
    I'm guessing this situation isn't very hypothetical ;p? I suppose there isn't much you can do, except hope your neighbours show some decency :o:

ReputationRep:
    They can be switched off late at night surely?

If it's a nuisance beyond a reasonable level of acceptability, then it should be - and is - potentially unlawful.

What if they have lived there for 20 years and suddenly this neighbour moves next door with annoying windchimes and a water feature constantly on all day?
    heck, if it was me I'll just:

a) destroy it in the night
    b) take it away and give it in for tomorrow's rubbish collection

or, my favourite:

c) put a big, noisy windmill thing in my back garden and see how they will like it. :p: and if they ask why I bought it, I'll just say I'm limiting my consumption of carbon dioxide :rolleyes: "won't want to waste energy Mr Pendantric!"

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't make any difference whose garden its in lol it can still be heard.
    Depends how loud it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oladz)
    if its really that loud, complain to your council about noise pollution!
    I don't like complaining I think it would be petty at the same time its annoying. Can't really talk to the neighbour as I kind of complained about his 3 windchimes last year lol, I offered to buy covers for them but he took them down. Now there is a water feature and bright light opposite my window shining in my room every night, but I bought a blind so thats the light resolved.

ReputationRep:
    if you dont speak up, how can anything happen? obviously its not bad enough to warrant a complaint, so whats the problem?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, thanks for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oladz)
    if you dont speak up, how can anything happen? obviously its not bad enough to warrant a complaint, so whats the problem?
    The problem is Im one of those highly strung idiots that little things annoy, I wondered how common it is to get annoyed by water features and if there was any clever way of getting rid of it without having to ask:o:

ReputationRep:
    basically, leave all your lights on, encourage all your friends to. this will lead to an increase in co2 emissions. as a result, global warming will be more intense. this will lead to a hotter summer, leading to a drought and this will lead to a hosepipe ban, water features will probably be included in the ban :P

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.