Turn on thread page Beta

Should people be allowed water features in their garden? watch

ReputationRep:
    At home my bedroom windows are not double-glazed, so I could hear my neighbour's fountain trickling and splashing at night.

I don't have anger issues, but when you're laying there at night and all you hear is this "Ssssssss, splosh splosh ssss" it is really, really irritating. It's like a constantly dripping tap, just pushing you closer and closer to the edge!

The noise always makes me want to go to the toilet as well.

Luckily, it's not there anymore.

ReputationRep:
    haha i thought this post would be complaining about the water usage...not the sound, i find the sound of water features soothing ..lol

ReputationRep:
    you could throw a brick at it, but i did not suggest this!

ReputationRep:
    My next door neighbour has a pond in their back garden and I can hear the water if the window is open. Don't mind it really. It's quite relaxing sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Not unless they live in a mansion away from others. Anything involving constant noise they should ask permission from their neighbours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    it'll be pretty ironic is someone here says "no, they shouldn't be allowed" as the shops will still be selling 'em.
    Why would that be ironic?

(Original post by Ghost)
    Why would that be ironic?
    Well if someone said to you, "no, you're not allowed water features" well, you are in reality as the shops sell them, i.e. you are allowed them.

geddit?

ReputationRep:
    Defecate in it. Then they'll get the message.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostintime)
    What if they have lived there for 20 years and suddenly this neighbour moves next door with annoying windchimes and a water feature constantly on all day?
    You need to get out more.
    Somehow I doubt you could claim noise pollution from wind chimes . . .
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Well if someone said to you, "no, you're not allowed water features" well, you are in reality as the shops sell them, i.e. you are allowed them.

geddit?
    Not really irony though, is it ?
    x

ReputationRep:
    Is it sad that this reminds me of Desperate Housewives?:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    A little bird tells me someone's got an axe to grind.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Why not? It's not exactly an unpleasant sound.

ReputationRep:
    An ex neighbour of my parents had massive windchimes, it depends on the type of chime ,the annoying cheapo aluminium ones are terrible. She never took it down even in gale force winds. It was keeping us all awake and she refused to take it down.

So one stormy night when my parents were out, they some how ended up smashed to bits in her garden. Thats the wind for you!

I have sympathy for the op actually. You could get the council involved but if you can't hear it when you close a window , I doubt they will do anything. If they are very decent neighbours they might shell out for different pumps that are less noisy or perhaps turn it off if it is disturbing you at night.Maybe talk to them?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.