The Student Room Group

OCR A-level biology cell division content help!

I am doing OCR A - level biology and was revising by doing practice papers from Physics and Maths tutor, specifically this one: https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Biology/A-level/Topic-Qs/OCR-A/2-Foundations-in-Biology/2.6-Cell-Division-Cell-Diversity-Cellular-Organisation/Set-B/Cell%20Division,%20Cell%20Diversity%20&%20Cellular%20Organisation%202%20QP.pdf

The first question is about yeast and I had no idea, we have not covered anything like this in class, and on my revision guides, it's not mentioned either. I am worried because how am I supposed to know this information for the exam? Do I have to learn about it? I can't find it on the specification either but I do not want to accidentally miss content that could show on my exam.

Thank you!!
This is the old syllabus. Stick with what your school has laid as the course content and the accompanying OCR text book.
In either case yeast division is simple, a peripheral section of the yeast buds of, the DNA undergoes mitosis and migrates to the newly formed bud. The bud continues to grow, then finally cleaves off.
Original post by Izzysciencely
This is the old syllabus. Stick with what your school has laid as the course content and the accompanying OCR text book.
In either case yeast division is simple, a peripheral section of the yeast buds of, the DNA undergoes mitosis and migrates to the newly formed bud. The bud continues to grow, then finally cleaves off.

Thank you!
I believe the process is called budding but anyways I did OCR biology too last year. I have started uni this year and I felt the same problem. It is called application of knowledge. They are not going to teach you everything but they will teach you enough to at least attempt the question. You might not be able to answer all parts of the question but you will be able to answer at least some of it. Focus on the content your school teaches you. But I always say it is better to know more than you should so still do these questions and go through the mark schemes.

Quick Reply