The Student Room Group

Job Rejection

I had my heart set on a graduate scheme position, thought it did well in my tests but got rejected. Feel shattered and ashamed. I'm so disappointed in myself been crying constantly.

Scroll to see replies

Take the rest of today to mope, then tomorrow start looking for more opportunities. Rejection gets easier the more you experience it.

I interviewed for two jobs this morning. Didn't get either. I ordered some comfort food then spent three hours in bed binging Ugly Betty. Finally got up, looked into the resources the recruiter advised me to read into (she gave me feedback over the phone), then applied for two more jobs, and started prepping for another interview I have tomorrow. If that and the other job I interviewed for this week go badly, I have another 30 applications sat there waiting to be looked at and a list of 10 more I need to apply to. Don't get too excited about a specific position. Job hunting is tough.
(edited 1 year ago)
Never take it personally. :smile:
Rejection, lousy interviews and a few managers or coworkers that you wish you'd never met are facts of life in the employment world.
There's nothing to be ashamed of.

Remember that tomorrow is a whole new day and there are plenty of job vacancies in the uk.
Time to move on.
Apply for a variety of different work roles that you meet the requirements for & are all compatible with your commute travelling and financial dealbreakers.
If you have received any feedback from an employer or recruitment consultant, take the comments on board as potential helpful advice that may be useful to you when making other job applications.

Graduate schemes for english graduated uk passport holders are extremely competitive.
I've never applied to graduates schemes and I never will.
They are best suited to those with habitually very strong interview performance, great references and top grades since gcse level.
Good luck!
Original post by 1582
Take the rest of today to mope, then tomorrow start looking for more opportunities. Rejection gets easier the more you experience it.

I interviewed for two jobs this morning. Didn't get either. I ordered some comfort food then spent three hours in bed binging Ugly Betty. Finally got up, looked into the resources the recruiter advised me to read into (she gave me feedback over the phone), then applied for two more jobs, and started prepping for another interview I have tomorrow. If that and the other job I interviewed for this week go badly, I have another 30 applications sat there waiting to be looked at and a list of 10 more I need to apply to. Don't get too excited about a specific position. Job hunting is tough.

PRSOM
Original post by 1582

Yeah, but I had my heart set on this role as it paid well, and was from my dream company. It's wasn't like just any rejection I've had it feels much worse. It sort of makes me feel like I'm stupid or that my degree is worthless. It just breaks my self confidence entirely.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, but I had my heart set on this role as it paid well, and was from my dream company. It's wasn't like just any rejection I've had it feels much worse. It sort of makes me feel like I'm stupid or that my degree is worthless. It just breaks my self confidence entirely.

Which company and role if you don't mind me asking? It may be extremely competitive so chances are there are 100s of people feeling the same way you do, you can always apply next year or even try for summer internship roles but for now I'd say get as much practice as you can for the online tests
Which company and role if you don't mind me asking? It may be extremely competitive so chances are there are 100s of people feeling the same way you do, you can always apply next year or even try for summer internship roles but for now I'd say get as much practice as you can for the online tests

An oil company, I had an internship with another company so some good experience but still wasn't enough. I studied for hours for the tests. I really feel embarrassed about it and made me feel a bit depressed.
I had my heart set on a graduate scheme position, thought it did well in my tests but got rejected. Feel shattered and ashamed. I'm so disappointed in myself been crying constantly.

My heart goes out to you!!! The feelings of shame are the worst. I recently got rejected from a grad scheme I thought was my dream job, and it hit like a TRUCK. What was worse is that I was on holiday with family when I got the rejection email, so I couldn't have a moment alone to cry. I felt so awful.

Give yourself today (and maybe tomorrow too) to cry, let it all out. But after that, no more tears - its time to get back on the horse and try again! Don't let one rejection define your entire job search! A lot of the time, rejections aren't actually a reflection of your ability, but rather a reflection of just how competitive the job market is. There a lot of good graduates! But luckily, there are also a lot of good grad schemes!

I try not to envision a certain company as my "dream" grad scheme, I just have a set list of what I want in a grad scheme (salary, role, skills, company size etc) and apply to any scheme that fits it. Everyday I find more and more to apply to - so with every rejection I get, I'm already applying to 2 more! Makes the pain of rejections much less to deal with. Plenty of people on TSR share how many grad schemes they applied to, vs how many rejections they got - it's not uncommon to get quite a few rejections. We can't let it get us down! Good luck :smile:
Original post by gradgirl123
My heart goes out to you!!! The feelings of shame are the worst. I recently got rejected from a grad scheme I thought was my dream job, and it hit like a TRUCK. What was worse is that I was on holiday with family when I got the rejection email, so I couldn't have a moment alone to cry. I felt so awful.

Give yourself today (and maybe tomorrow too) to cry, let it all out. But after that, no more tears - its time to get back on the horse and try again! Don't let one rejection define your entire job search! A lot of the time, rejections aren't actually a reflection of your ability, but rather a reflection of just how competitive the job market is. There a lot of good graduates! But luckily, there are also a lot of good grad schemes!

I try not to envision a certain company as my "dream" grad scheme, I just have a set list of what I want in a grad scheme (salary, role, skills, company size etc) and apply to any scheme that fits it. Everyday I find more and more to apply to - so with every rejection I get, I'm already applying to 2 more! Makes the pain of rejections much less to deal with. Plenty of people on TSR share how many grad schemes they applied to, vs how many rejections they got - it's not uncommon to get quite a few rejections. We can't let it get us down! Good luck :smile:

It does make you feel awful IMO, it just demotivates me from it all. It's hard not to let it be reflective of yourself, particularly when you tried your hardest and spent hours on that application all for nothing. I have uni tomorrow but feel so demotivated to attend after all this.
It does make you feel awful IMO, it just demotivates me from it all. It's hard not to let it be reflective of yourself, particularly when you tried your hardest and spent hours on that application all for nothing. I have uni tomorrow but feel so demotivated to attend after all this.

Yeah, its hard. When I got my first rejection I was almost tempted to stop applying altogether! I felt so ****. But after a few days I got over it, so don't worry. It won't feel this awful for long! And all the hours spent on that application weren't wasted, they are great practise for your next application!
Yeah, its hard. When I got my first rejection I was almost tempted to stop applying altogether! I felt so ****. But after a few days I got over it, so don't worry. It won't feel this awful for long! And all the hours spent on that application weren't wasted, they are great practise for your next application!

Can I reapply next year in September or would that be pointless, should I just give up on them and accept I'll never work their?
Can I reapply next year in September or would that be pointless, should I just give up on them and accept I'll never work their?

Have you asked for feedback on your application?
If you contact them to ask for feedback then you can ask about applying again for the next round.

Yes, of course you can reapply again next year. My friend got unto the civil service degree apprenticeship and one of her colleagues had tried twice before being successful! But honestly, it's much more likely that you will find another grad scheme that suits you before next September. That's quite a long way away.

You said it was an oil company, was it somewhere like BP/Shell? You could research other similar oil companies and apply. And you'll find other companies/industries that have a similar role to the one you were rejected from x
Yes, of course you can reapply again next year. My friend got unto the civil service degree apprenticeship and one of her colleagues had tried twice before being successful! But honestly, it's much more likely that you will find another grad scheme that suits you before next September. That's quite a long way away.

You said it was an oil company, was it somewhere like BP/Shell? You could research other similar oil companies and apply. And you'll find other companies/industries that have a similar role to the one you were rejected from x

So I should keep applying then? Yes it is one of them, and my dream was to work their hence why I'm upset about it. I'm concerned my dream as pretty much dead already.
Original post by PQ
Have you asked for feedback on your application?
If you contact them to ask for feedback then you can ask about applying again for the next round.

I don't think they do feedback at this stage, is it worth asking?
So I should keep applying then? Yes it is one of them, and my dream was to work their hence why I'm upset about it. I'm concerned my dream as pretty much dead already.

I'm sorry I sound stupid, I'm a high achiever academically and probably put too much pressure on myself but that's why I am :frown:
I'm sorry I sound stupid, I'm a high achiever academically and probably put too much pressure on myself but that's why I am :frown:

You don't sound stupid at all dw. :smile:Yh you definitely should consider applying again next year! It also possible to take another grad scheme and move to your dream company in a few years time. Plenty of people do that, especially with competitive companies. It can be easier later in life because you'll have experience, and you won't be competing with 1000's of other graduates.

But for now, its better to focus on your new applications. More applications = more practise & better results! And hopefully you'll find a grad scheme at a company that you like just as much as Shell/BP xx
You don't sound stupid at all dw. :smile:Yh you definitely should consider applying again next year! It also possible to take another grad scheme and move to your dream company in a few years time. Plenty of people do that, especially with competitive companies. It can be easier later in life because you'll have experience, and you won't be competing with 1000's of other graduates.

But for now, it’s better to focus on your new applications. More applications = more practise & better results! And hopefully you'll find a grad scheme at a company that you like just as much as Shell/BP xx

Ok I’ll keep applying then. I hope I get something.
Ok I’ll keep applying then. I hope I get something.

Also how do I motivate myself to keep going? I have university to tomorrow and honestly feel like crying in bed than going? I’m just scared people will ask what’s up for me their.
I don't think they do feedback at this stage, is it worth asking?

Worst case scenario they say no (and know that you’re keen)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending